Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So..........6 month check up

Ok so an update:

Called my regular doctor and I am getting an ultra sound on my gallbladder tomorrow. I also asked him if he felt comfortable taking over my care, which is basically my blood work in 6 months than once a year after that, he said sure. My family doctor I have had for 18 years, I started going to him when he first started and love how he really cares for his patients!! I am going to be calling Dr. prices office manager in a bit to talk to her about what happened yesterday. We will see what is said, and go from there. But my family dr is about 5 mins from my house and dr price is about 30-45, in rush hour times it has taken me an hour to get home from his office.

You had surgery. You need to stay in touch with your surgeon. Surgeons are almost always assholes. Assholes are attracted to surgery. Don't take it personally. He cares, just in his own way. Family doctors are great at making you feel special, not so much at anticipating surgical complications and they haven't treated hundreds of sleeve patients. To have your post surgical care managed, see your surgeon. To feel good, get a massage.

I had surgery in Mexico and never spoke to my surgeon again and I've been successful. My PCP is a straight shooter. Last checkup I was complaining of low back pain and he asked how often I was working out. I said, "I have a stand up desk at work..." and he said, "Get your butt back in the gym. Walk on the treadmill and get back to full-body weights." So I did. Guess what? My back pain is 90% resolved. I love him. I'm 100% honest with him and he's honest with me.

I love massages too ????

Edited by KristenVSG2014

To be quite honest, I don't think a doctor would actually remember what you looked like from the last time, they typically only have the weight loss data to go by. Perhaps you should ask for a copy of your chart and make sure the right weight was recorded.

And, you might compare his attitude about you this date to all of the other follow up appointments you have had (1 month, 2, month, 3 month, etc.).

Or, maybe he is just a prick! Or, his ex-wife just won a HUGE divorce settlement!

-RC-

I talked with the office manager and this is what is going on......

First, they have a new computer system that did not record my weigh in at the appt. my weigh was in the computer as 200 still from my 3 month check up.

Second, he had someone else in the room with him, which I didn't know who it was and didn't want to talk in front of. So he didn't know that for two weeks my daughter was in hospital and I wasn't able to go to gym. I didn't say anything about this with not knowing who was in the room with in( come to find out it was a medical student)

Third, they gave me the results of my blood work and everything was in the normal range.

Office manager said he should have introduced who was in room with him, also since there was no weigh change-he should have double checked with the nurse before coming in room. Also she doesn't know why he didn't go over the blood work while I was there. I told her that I know he was running late, but so many things wrong in one office visit really needed to be addressed and she said yes. So that makes me feel better. But the whole gallbladder pain I complained about should have been looked at more as I was sent to get an ultra sound by family dr and am seeing a surgeon today to have it removed ASAP as it is full of usually large stones. She said she would talk to him and call me back. Still deciding if I want to go back or not. If he was in such a hurry and didn't address any of my concerns than how do I know if I have any other problems it might not be like that again. My family dr said if I would have waited the six months he suggested I might have been in ER with even more problems. So I am still wondering what to do. I guess time will tell if I keep my June 2016 appt or not.

As I had the personal trainer kicking my butt, I also am frustrated because he asked what happened and I said the scales didn't move for about a month and he said "put the food down".

My normal day is:

*A cheese stick, if needed for Breakfast

*three pieces of shaved ham and piece of cheese rolled up for lunch

*dinner is a Protein and very small spoon of veggies.

*one Protein shake after my workout at nite

I don't think I over eat!!! I am so mad and when I told my hubby he didn't say anything and I just cried!!!

You have to take what personal trainers, even nutritionists, say with a grain of salt. As bariatric patients we have special needs. A personal trainer has not had training in what a bariatric patient needs. He can tell you how to work out and use good form using weights, that's about it. He cannot and should not give you nutritional advice unless he's been trained to deal specifically with bariatric patients. Unless a nutritionist specializes in bariatrics, they will tell you to focus more on veggies and grains than Protein. Wrong. We have a lot less room and NEED protein.

Also, my weight stalls when I don't eat enough calories. Thankfully my primary doctor is smart and told me at a year out for my height I should be eating at least1,200 calories a day. I was still eating 800-1,000. I increased calories and weight started coming off again.

I know your doctor was a jerk and your personal trainer sounds like he knows what he's talking about (he doesn't) but all you have to do is the basic rules we were given from day 1.

Have you been tracking calories and macros? I suggest getting MyFitnessPal and seeing exactly how many calories you are eating so you can see if you need to increase them.

it was the dr that told me to put down the food, I was just thinking about my dr's appt was I was working with the personal trainer.

With the little amount of food I eat I have never tracked or keep record of it. I know that I get the 50-80 grams of protein in and that is what my nut was worried about. I am going to start tracking so just invade I decide to go back to dr that did surgery I can tell him look, this is what I am consuming.

So, if you aren't losing as rapidly as your surgeon was expecting then it's possible you aren't eating enough. I would have asked him why he was unhappy with my weight loss.

Definitely talk to your NUT and start tracking your food so you KNOW you are getting in all of your protein.

It is such a paradigm shift between pre-op dieting and post-op nutrition.

For me, it's no longer an assumption that cutting calories will automatically lead to weight loss. If I am not getting enough nutrition, especially protein, then the scale will not go down as quickly as I like.