Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Im not sure how I feel

Hi,

Hope everyone is doing well

I had gastric sleeve surgery 2 months ago and am down about 54 pounds so far. I started at 320 Ibs so there is still a long way to go

The issue is that despite being really pleased to be losing weight and very much enjoying the positive feedback that I have been getting I am very worried about some of my behavior

For example, despite always being keen on sports ( even at my heaviest ) I have not found myself doing more sport than I was doing before, Even though I promised myself I would throw myself into it

I have also found myself lately eating bad foods, such as a bit of chocolate here or some ice cream there. I knew food would be the biggest challenge as it has always been a hobby and a passion for me

Im just concerned that I have been given a chance and that I am going to waste it

Everything I see on the internet seems to be people making the most of their chances and making massive life changes. I suppose Im just wondering if im the only weak one.....

Thanks for listening

Can you pal up with a buddy to help you through bad times? Or see a therapist around your eating habits, who can support you to make lifelong changes? The first year is going to be when you lose the weight so the sooner you nip this in the bud the better.

Do you take account of what you eat, write it down or use a tracker app?

Are you having enough Protein/water etc?

I have a Protein bar (choc flavoured) which gets me over the chocolate fix. Its very low carbs and about 200 calories so not too bad. I love them but my hubby thinks they taste like MDF, not that hes ever eaten MDF lol!

You CAN do it !! Have faith in yourself and the lovely new tiny sleeve you have

@@UKSteve, I'll make four suggestions.

One -- Change vocabulary. Try "I've lost nearly half of my goal" instead of "...there is still a long way to go." How does that feel?

Two -- Use a food tracker to record everything you eat and drink. To say "...a bit of chocolate here and some ice cream there..." means quite a bit of chocolate and ice cream, each more often than you want to know. If you already are using a tracker, I'll wager that you fill it in, but then pay no attention. The tracker not only lets you know where you stand for the day, but serves to show where you may get in your own way. The entries further help identify periods of ambivalence or out and out debauchery.

Three -- More vocabulary change. Not "weak," but rather "ambivalent." In no way are you the only one. Despite choosing surgery and having an excellent start, plenty of people run into things they may not have considered during the decision-making stage, i.e., being human. Each of us has a view of who and what we are; uprooting its foundation can be unsettling. Start a journal of what you do, how you feel and what you discover about yourself as you go along. It's another great technique.

Four -- If the above don't make an eye-popping difference, consider some therapy, preferably with someone knowledgeable about eating issues. It can go a long way toward changing behavior and taking pleasure in what you're accomplishing.

P.S. I'm not sleeved, but have the impression that a true tad of chocolate or ice cream truly now and then is permissible? The trick is in pre-planning such treats into a day's eating. Which takes me back to a food tracker. It helps greatly if also used to plan meals a few days ahead. That's been my habit and is not to say that I don't make changes -- each a good one -- after the fact.

P.P.S. Attending your surgery practice's support group is a good way to go. If it doesn't provide a group, check other hospitals in your area. They probably welcome patients not their own.

Edited by WLSResources/ClothingExch

The changes needed aren't a moment in time but rather a progression, an ongoing activity. I agree that it is important to make the lifestyle changes but why not start now rather than worrying about last week. That is the thing, it isn't about perfection, it is about making good choices the majority of the time.

Hi,

Thanks for the nice words. I am pretty happy with how things have gone so far, I dont want to give people the impression I am unhappy or something, That really isnt the case

On the whole I have been ok with food, its more that im worried about how tempted I am. The worst I have done so far is a scoop of ice cream or a few chips ( nothing outrageous )

What scares me is falling off the wagon when I have the ability to eat more I guess. Im not massive on self discipline ( probably an issue shared by most people that get to my weight I guess )