Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help! I am not enjoying this

I had surgery on Tuesday and have had nothing more than one cup of Jello the day of and 10 total ounces of Protein shake since then. I drink as often as I can but in small amounts. My problem is that I feel stuffed all of the time. Empty in the morning, drink some Water, stuff. No vomiting. No gagging. Just stuffed. Is this normal for the first week? While this change soon?

"Just stuffed. Is this normal for the first week? While this change soon?"

yes. enjoy the sensation of 'NEVER' being hungry while you can.

One of the very odd things we suddenly face, is what to do with all that extra time we aren't hungry; eating, preparing to eat, wishing we had not eaten too much, thought about eating something else, etc etc.

Let your old Bad Eating Habits float away; they will squirm & try to resurface & make you start eating again even when you AREN'T hungry.

Pleasant period that passes way too rapidly IMHO.

Good luck!

I am learning that I spent a lot of time eating. A lot of time! I am bored stiff and don't know how to fill the time. Crazy.

I had surgery on Tuesday and have had nothing more than one cup of Jello the day of and 10 total ounces of Protein shake since then. I drink as often as I can but in small amounts. My problem is that I feel stuffed all of the time. Empty in the morning, drink some Water, stuff. No vomiting. No gagging. Just stuffed. Is this normal for the first week? While this change soon?

Enjoy it because it may not last. You are likely swollen from surgery. Once the swelling subsides you may find yourself hungry again and in need of a fill or two. Oh...and welcome to the banded life. Here's hoping it's as good for you as it's been for me.

@@jerandlaur, you posted only a few days after surgery. The absence of vomiting and gagging are good signs. It's common to have no interest in eating when your innards have been invaded and mucked with. As @@gowalking suggests, you may have swelling. There may be other factors for the lack of interest and stuffed feeling, too, none of which are problematic. Example, your band may have just enough Fluid (I understand that since my surgery, it's become pretty common for bands to be installed with some saline rather than empty; I hope people who stop by here will confirm) to be squashing your appetite.

For boredom, why not go out for a walk as long as the street isn't iced up? Take it easy and let your body tell you when you've had enough. Read. Take up knitting. Soap operas. Look at the available food trackers, choose one that's to your liking and learn to use it to advantage so that you don't waste time when you're making your own choices for real, solid food again. (A lot of people use My Fitness Pal because they find it easier/quicker than some others.)

Keep in mind for when you're healed that there is absolutely nothing wrong with feeling physical hunger. In fact it's desirable and healthy. What will be important will be to stop eating when you reach satiety. It does take some work to learn to distinguish between true, physical hunger and emotional hunger and old, bad habits.

Just relax, it takes time. I had my surgery on Dec 16 and I've gone through almost not eating at all to hiccups, gagging and throwing up.

It will, as I am seeing get better. I've had the hunger pains, think how much better it will be when you can have puree food haha. PS don't puree chicken its horrible!