Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1 year out, are you still taking Vitamins and protein, If so which ones

1 year out are you still taking Vitamins and Protein, If so which ones

I am right at my 1 year anniversary, and I'm still taking Vitamins. I take a generic women's Vitamin, and also take a Calcium citrate Vitamin supplement. I plan on taking both for the rest of my life.

I don't do Protein supplements regularly any more, but I do keep a supply of Boost glucose control Protein shakes for quick Meal Replacements without all the carbs/sugar.

Edited by FrankiesGirl

Almost 3 years out, I take a multi Vitamin with Iron daily and usually drink a shake per day otherwise I can never hit my Protein goal.

14mths. I still take a daily multi, and calcium citrate with D3. I still supplement I use flavored Protein powder instead of cream in my coffee and add Isopure clear drinks to my Water to keep my Protein at 100gms a day.

I hope to God people are still taking Vitamins a year out! That's a lifelong thing. You'd be crazy to stop! You don't suddenly stop needing Vitamins and minerals just because you reach your goal weight....

Here's what I take daily. Many of these things I took for years pre-op as well:

2x Bariatric Multivitamin - I use the brand recommended by my nutritionist, Vitaleph. The recommendation is to take 3 per day at different times, but I cut down to two a day one I was confident I was getting a reasonable amount of nutrients from my food.

1x Probiotic - Also recommended by my nutritionist. I take Insync brand.

1000mg Vitamin C - Been taking this for years, but I was told it can also help with skin elasticity as we lose weight.

200mg coq10 - Been taking this for years, as recommended by my PCP, for my carpel tunnel.

1000mg Omega 3 - Been taking this for years because I don't eat fish.

1000iu Vitamin D - Been taking this for years because I live in Rochester, NY where it's cloudy and cold like 90% of the time.

2x Citrical Maximum - Started this post-op at the direction of my nutritionist. Used to take 2x Tums daily, but my nutritionist recommended calcium citrate (Citrical) over Calcium Carbonate (Tums). She also explained that I should take my calcium separate from my Multivitamin, because Iron and calcium compete for absorption. So I take my Calcium at night and my multivitamin in the morning and afternoon.

Edit: Forgot to list my 500mcg liquid B12 spray, which I use daily.

I'm with @@JamieLogical re the need for lifelong adherence to my surgeon's lifelong instructions.

I'm a 70-year-old woman, and at 16 months post-op I'm taking the following supplements and meds daily (the ones in bold font were prescribed by my surgeon; the others are by my choice):

Mornings:

Centrum chewable multi vitamin/mineral

Ranitidine - 150 mg. (antacid)

Fish oil capsule (for heart and bone health)

Probiotic capsule (for digestion)

Biotin - 1000 mcg. (for nails, hair, skin health)

Evenings:

Caltrate Calcium + D3 (chewable)

Ranitidine - 150 mg. (antacid)
Melatonin (for sleep) - 10 mg

Stool softener - 1 capsule

Completely agree. My Vitamin regime is based on my bloodwork. I had to stop B12 because it made my levels triple. I take extra D because that level tends to go borderline except in the summer. I was taking a Multi-Vitamin pre-op. At 50+ it's just common sense to continue. I also take Biotin which I was taking pre-op because I am post-menopausal and have bra strap length dredlocs. I noticed some slightly thinning and it was recommended by my dermatologist. Combined with bariatric hair loss, it just makes sense to continue.