Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Myfitnesspal goals and protein/low carb suggestions?

I use Myfitnesspal to track and report my food journal to my doctor. When I went for my 7 week check-up yesterday I was told that I am having too many carbs, not enough Protein and I shouldn't indulge in sugar free treats such as pudding and popsicles. She said that the taste of sweet items will keep my sugar addiction going and could eventually cause weight gain. She even offered putting me on Contrave to stop the addiction feeling. It is strange though because all my Protein shakes are sweet so what is the difference? I am eating for better health. not pleasure. so I need to break that habit.

I am having a hard time with Protein because post-op the taste of Protein drinks gag me. I have 7 different powder flavors and brands and they were all good prior to surgery. I am going to try to do a protein mug brownie to see if that will help. I have tried the clear liquid Protein drinks and they are also gross. I go to a local nutrition store and do tastings to see what I can switch, but that hasn’t helped either. Things sometimes taste good at first but then goes back to gross after a few times.

I have updated my goals to match as close as I can to her recommendations. She suggested 600-800 calories, and 100-120 grams of protein. She was happy I lost fat, gained muscle and my hydration was up, but she just wasn't satisfied with what I am eating. The item she did point out was a baked potato. I know it is full of carbs but my husband stopped at Wendy's and that was the only thing I could have on the menu and I didn't think that would blow my month. I could only eat half of it, and ate the other half the next day.

I'm not throwing in the towel by no means but I am aggravated because I don't think I am doing what I should be doing but I'm not sure how to correct it without just drinking Protein Shakes or eating Protein Bars. I may be putting too much thought and stress on myself to make this work.

Sorry I feel like I am just blabbering and making no sense. For anyone that says having weight loss surgery is the easy way out, they have no clue. It takes dedication, determination, control, and much more to become a new healthy you.

This is today's log and I already ate dinner and I am already hungry. ;-)

Jimmy Dean - Ham & cheese Frozen Omelets, 1 omelet

Cream - Half and half, 2 tsp(s)

coffee - Brewed from grounds, 1 cup (8 fl oz)

lunch

Atkins Snack/light Meal - Carmel chocolate Peanut Nougat Bar, 1.6 oz

Publix - 2% American cheese, 0.5 slice

Publix - Ground Sirloin Beef, 4 oz

dinner

Publix Lean Pork - Boneless Pork Loin Chops, 4 oz (112g)

Bush's - Original Bake Beans, 0.5 g (1/2 cup)

Calories

Carbs

Fat

Protein

Sodium

Sugar

Any suggestions?

My current goals.

Calories 850

Carbohydrates 32 g 15 %

Fat 38 g 40 %

Protein 96 g 45 %

I will see if I can sort through your questions/issues. This may seem random.

If you are 7 weeks post-op, what food phase are you on? If you are eating ground beef patties you should be able to eat a small Wendy's Chili which would have been my choice in your situation. I would think a Wendy's cheeseburger without a bun or a grilled chicken sandwich without a bun would also be a better choice than a baked potato which had no Protein.

If you eat fast food then it is perfectly acceptable to order sandwiches without bread. I haven't found anywhere that doesn't have something I can eat now that I am cleared for all foods.

For my program, my Protein target is 100 grams a day, too. I avoid starches (rice, potatoes, bread, Pasta, etc.). I get most of my carbs from vegetables and some fruit.< /p>

Read labels carefully. I don't think an Adkin's snack would be the best choice, especially since your NUT wants you to cut back on the sweets. Neither would a mug brownie (even if it is a protein brownie).

I eat a lot of tuna, cottage cheese, yogurt, cheese sticks, refried Beans, turkey burgers, deli turkey, etc.

It sounds like you may want to get comfortable in choosing protein first. What I gather from what you posted is that you still want to build your meals around carbs instead of protein.

It takes some thought and practice, but you can do it. The good thing is that if you stop eating starches, you will stop craving starches.

I hope this helps.

Thank you and you are right I'm still trying to live a sugar high carb life. The potato and pudding were both during my soft phase. I lost 70 lbs on Atkins at one time, so I think I am reverting to that and of course I gained all that weight back plus around 50 extra. I'm just going to have to rethink what i am doing and try to stay away from the sweet things. I know I can do this, I have lost at least 1000 pounds in my life time, I just need to make it stick this time!

A better choice at Wendy's would be the chili. It's Beans & meat compared to the baked potato. I also keep in my glove compartment Protein bars, and single serving packs of nuts. Usually either pistachio, almond or cashews.

I would dump the premade Breakfast and make your own. Instead of the Jimmy Dean do a food prep. You can make your own in a muffin tin. You will miss loads of sodium. 1 egg plus a tsp of plain greek yogurt ( I prefer FAGE0% greek). Mix well, then add any lean meats you like and top with a tiny bit of finely shredded cheese. Pour into muffin tins and bake at 275 until done. The yogurt adds a bit more Protein, you skip most of the sodium from the box food and it's cheaper I also find that I use less cheese if I buy the finely shredded and sprinkle it on, but I still get that cheesy flavor.

I'd stay away from baked Beans. You get some protein from the beans but they are higher in sugar. I'd go for low sodium black beans or lentils instead. You can even add a bit of salsa to up the flavor.

When I was aiming for 800 calories my morning was most often a Protein shake with added yogurt. I found that the yogurt cut the sweet factor for me. Perhaps try switching and using different brands so you don't reach the point where they start tasting yucky.

Another good way to hide the protein would be to use Protein Powder or even RDT Protein Drink instead of cream. If you use the Protein Powder I find it best to dissolve the powder with a tbsp of warm liquid before adding it to my coffee. Use a fork or small whisk to make sure it's blended well.

Thanks. I did buy some Greek yogurts to try, I did get the Fage 0%, it seemed to be the highest rated. I will try that in a smoothie tomorrow and see if that helps.