Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Upper GI Series set back? Please help

So I was on track for a VSG on 1-11-16. However had an upper GI Series done as part of my pre-op on Tuesday and something was not right. First off that tests really sucks, the Barium for that test was beyond disgusting.

Having said that got beyond freaked out since in the middle of the test the Dr. left the room and all I was told by the tech was he went to look at something in a higher resolution display. Then the tech leaves and I am on this weird table/device for about 5 minutes alone trying not to have a panic attack. The tech returns and asks me I have any metal on or if I had ever had surgery....I reply no to both and then leaves again for another 5 minutes. Then he returns alone and says he wants to take some additional X-rays of my stomach because the see something not right but of course he is not allowed to discuss it with me. So in the middle of that the Dr. returns and says we are doing the entire test over again. It was god awful the first time and now I was like Please explain to me what is going on...So Dr. says it's not cancer or a tumor but something does not look right. We then begin the same disgusting drinking and I did everything in my power not to vomit or burp since they said if I did either we would have to start all over again. In total I drank 8 different versions of barium drinks and barium pop rocks.

Now I have to wait until tomorrow to review results with my surgeon. So Tuesday night I got so violent sick from all that barium that I can't even begin to tell you. I have never felt worse and all I can say without making anybody sick it was like a concrete mixer leaving my body. I Drank 100 ounces of Water to try to get it out of my system, finally feel better today. Now just beyond worried that the results tomorrow will stop me from having a VSG. It took me 15 years to finally commit to doing a weight loss surgery since I am obviously a wuss..LOL! Now I am finally mentally ready, lost 51lbs in in preparation, walking hour a day six days a week and now this unknown. So my question to others who have had a Upper GI Series, has anything ever been found wrong with your test? I have never had an ulcer (That I known about) or any real stomach pains so I am beyond worried. I have a endoscopy already scheduled before this for next week. Hope this does not derail my VSG. Any advice/comments/opinions are greatly appreciated! Weill update this thread tomorrow after meeting surgeon.

P.S I have the H. Pylori test tomorrow morning so maybe that will help determine what is wrong?

If it is an OLD Ulcer has anybody here been able to have a WLS with an Ulcer?

Your dilemma is an example of exactly why we have to have the pre-op testing done. It is certainly no fun but will expose any other issues you have that may cause unwelcome complications. Delay is not denial. You may need to correct some other health issue, but at least your head won't be in the sand. This is all about getting healthy enough to improve our quality of life. Please let us know how this comes out. We learn so much by sharing the bumps and blessings of our surgeries.

It sounds like you imagine is getting the best of you. I know it feels like the impossible, but their really is nothing you can do until you get the results of the test back. I've had barium swallows and they are nasty, so I feel you on that.

A lot of things can be worked around but the doctor has to know what they are dealing with. In this sense any abnormality detected by the test may be a blessing in disguise. Just try and hang in there and not let your imagine go too crazy.

@@TodayItEnds I know how frightening that sounds to you -- and the test absolutely sounds like it sucked. I had an EGD done and they found erosive gastritis and a stomach FULL of ulcers. NEVER had a pain - ever. They postponed my surgery for a few weeks and I was sleeved on 11/9. I was put on Omeprazole right after the EGD to help heal my stomach - and I feel fantastic now. Good luck with the results tomorrow -- keep us posted!

Your dilemma is an example of exactly why we have to have the pre-op testing done. It is certainly no fun but will expose any other issues you have that may cause unwelcome complications. Delay is not denial. You may need to correct some other health issue, but at least your head won't be in the sand. This is all about getting healthy enough to improve our quality of life. Please let us know how this comes out. We learn so much by sharing the bumps and blessings of our surgeries.

Your 100% correct, I need to not let this frustration stop this path to a healthier life, thanks for the reply and advice!

It sounds like you imagine is getting the best of you. I know it feels like the impossible, but their really is nothing you can do until you get the results of the test back. I've had barium swallows and they are nasty, so I feel you on that.

A lot of things can be worked around but the doctor has to know what they are dealing with. In this sense any abnormality detected by the test may be a blessing in disguise. Just try and hang in there and not let your imagine go too crazy.

I agree my imagination is running wild, just hate this waiting game. Thanks for the encouragement!!

@@TodayItEnds I know how frightening that sounds to you -- and the test absolutely sounds like it sucked. I had an EGD done and they found erosive gastritis and a stomach FULL of ulcers. NEVER had a pain - ever. They postponed my surgery for a few weeks and I was sleeved on 11/9. I was put on Omeprazole right after the EGD to help heal my stomach - and I feel fantastic now. Good luck with the results tomorrow -- keep us posted!

I am so glad you posted your personal situation, this really made me feel a lot better. So I need to ask, how long were you on Meds and do they have to do another Upper GI or EGD to be cleared for surgery? I want to be sleeved on my original date of 1/11 also I hope this is enough time to clear things up. Greatly appreciate your post!!

Thanks again for sharing your own similar experiences and advice which are greatly appreciated.

I was really concerned that if I have an ulcer that I might be pushed off for many months or even worse not be able to get a VSG so I will post an update after my visit with Dr tomorrow.

My abdominal ultrasound revealed large cysts on both of my kidneys. I had to have a kidney specific ultrasound, visit to a urologist and get a kidney CT. Cysts are simple but I have some kidney stones.

Discovery of cysts & stones didn't hold up my surgery. I'm scheduled for 12/31.

My pre-op class is Monday 12/14. What do you find out in this "class"?

Clear & full liquid class is on 12/16.

Pre-admission testing is 12/21.

Then Christmas, then surgery!

@@TodayItEnds

Any news?

So yesterday I met with the surgeon late in the afternoon. He was planning on doing a endoscopy in his office but now since Upper GI showed some questions ( either multiple ulcers, spots etc...) I need to get an endoscopy that can take a biopsy so we are trying to find one asap. The earliest we can get one done at this time is Christmas Eve..Yuk but really can't go any further until we get those results. Did the H pylori breath test and blood work yesterday as well so waiting anxiously for those results. Thanks for all the support will keep this thread updated as this progresses, hoping/praying for the best case scenario.

My abdominal ultrasound revealed large cysts on both of my kidneys. I had to have a kidney specific ultrasound, visit to a urologist and get a kidney CT. Cysts are simple but I have some kidney stones.

Discovery of cysts & stones didn't hold up my surgery. I'm scheduled for 12/31.

My pre-op class is Monday 12/14. What do you find out in this "class"?

Clear & full liquid class is on 12/16.

Pre-admission testing is 12/21.

Then Christmas, then surgery!

Congrats you are so close.

The classes I have been to have been beyond informative. My only complaint is they that pretty much everyone except me are going for the Gastric Bypass instead of VSG. So not to much time specifically spent on the sleeve, however most of the questions/answers still are beneficial.

So yesterday I met with the surgeon late in the afternoon. He was planning on doing a endoscopy in his office but now since Upper GI showed some questions ( either multiple ulcers, spots etc...) I need to get an endoscopy that can take a biopsy so we are trying to find one asap. The earliest we can get one done at this time is Christmas Eve..Yuk but really can't go any further until we get those results. Did the H pylori breath test and blood work yesterday as well so waiting anxiously for those results. Thanks for all the support will keep this thread updated as this progresses, hoping/praying for the best case scenario.

@@TodayItEnds

Any news?

Glad you got a date to do the special endoscope. Am hoping your surgery date doesn't get changed, but if it does -your health is far more important and everything needs to be good to go before your surgery.

I am having a difficult time too getting medical clearance and I know it is frustrating but I have never had surgery before and I suppose they just want to make sure everything will be ok. I started with this process June 15 and jumping through all the hoops is ready getting to me. I just want to know I am approved and have a date scheduled in Jan so I can have a peaceful Christmas.

I had an appt especially for today as that is when the office staff told me my PCP would be there. I was to have a fasting blood work up, medical clearance and medically necessary forms filled out. Everything else is done and insurance has most of my paperwork but I have no date for surgery nor apporval yet. Well guess what The Dr wasn't there, they told me he was not scheduled to be in. Well then why did you tell me on Wednesday that he was going to be there. Oh sorry we made a mistake. To make matters worse they charged me $25.00 and I have never been charged that much before. They rescheduled me for Thursday morning. The office manager will be getting a call on Monday as I am not happy about either situations that happened.

So a crazy few weeks of ups and downs. So after getting the crap scared out of me by the Dr. who did the upper G.I series and stated he saw some things that were not right. I was able to find an endoscopy center that could do one earlier than Christmas Eve. So last Wednesday I did an endoscopy and that Dr. was amazing and said he saw a bunch of polyps in my stomach and some irritation. He said there were no ulcers or bleeding. He took many biopsies and just got the results today that all were benign. Whew I was beyond nervous but feel so better that I can once again focus on my Jan 11 Surgery date!

I have done all the requirements except for an EKG which is scheduled next week so that is my last hurdle. So as promised, I would update thread when I heard the news.....greatly appreciated all the support. Can't wait for my surgery date to be here already!

@@TodayItEnds - Happy to hear all is well!