Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How to prepare your body for surgery!

I don't know if getting some working out in is better or not. I just feel like I need to give this my absolute best. So I'm trying to lose as much as I can. I don't see many stories of people over 400 lbs getting this and I'm right on the edge. Makes me nervous about the risks of my heart stopping. I've always been very active. Even participating in 5ks. I just want to be strong enough to maneuver myself afterwards I guess lol.

I was 412 day of surgery. 414 was my highest weight. I had an absolutely easy and painfree surgical experience. I was achy & sore but not ever truly in pain.

I've never had sugery before so I'm nervous about the sugery and all prep and being put to sleep really don't know what to expect sorta nervous

I hope you read the previous post. They had some really great info. What you can expect is:

• Check in day of surgery, get arm bands, etc... then you sit in a waiting room until they call you back.
  • The surgeon and medical team (anesthesiologist, etc...) may come out and introduce themselves. A nurse will give you an IV and have you put on a gown. When it's time you most likely will walk into the OR. Some hospitals wheel you in, but walking is not uncommon.
  • The OR will look a little intimidating. Keep in mind OR's are set up to accommodate a lot of various types of surgery. Not all the equipment is for you, but there will be a lot.
  • You will get on the operating table. It will look tiny.
  • There will be 3 or 4 people in the OR, if students are allowed maybe one more. They will likely be gowned and masked.
  • They will clip a pulse oximeter on your finger, a blood pressure cuff and hook the IV up. *I recommend practicing taking slow, deep breathes to help calm and center you. This is the point where people sometimes get nervous and the deep breathing can help that.
  • They put the mask on your face and ask you to start counting backwards. You will be out quickly.
  • After that you wake up in recovery. You will feel like you slept 5 minutes. If you are like me, you feel really refreshed. Propofol is typically used for this type of surgery and there's a reason why Michael Jackson was addicted to it. Some sleeve patients wake up in pain. If you do, let your team know and they can help with meds to control it.

In prep for post-op life I recommend:

• Practice walking and increasing how far and how long you can walk. If you can also strengthen your core.
  • Eating very slowly (30 mins or more with each meal) and taking super tiny bites & swallows.
  • Quit sodas & caffeine.

Thanks for advice I feel a little better now I guess just ready to be done with sug. And start my new journey in life can't wait to lose weight and enjoy life in my new body