Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Breast cancer/tram flap reconstruction

:help: I'm a breast cancer survivor (yea! :clap2:)--had a bilateral mastectomy in 1994 with tram flap reconstruction. For those of you who are not cancer literate, I had a mini Tummy Tuck & the tissue was used for my "new" breasts. The procedure involves the insertion of plastic mesh in my abdomen from pubic line to breast line. My oncologist is worried that the integrity of the mesh will be compromised by the laproscopic surgery (exactly how much pressure can the mesh take before exploding?). Does anyone have any information on this subject?

sillysandy:help:

Congratulations Sandy on being a breast cancer survivor!!

I really don't have an answer to your question, but my suggestion would be to contact a plastic surgeon, possibly one that does surgery after weight loss or perhaps talk to your lapband Dr. They may be able to advise you if the mesh may be compromised.. Good Luck.

Thanks for your thoughts! I'm getting my operative reports now from both my oncologist & the plastic surgeon who performed the reconstruction. From what i understand, during laproscropic surgery for the lap band, air (?) is blown into the abdominal cavity so that the organs are easier to reach. And that's the tricky question, how much air is used & how much can my mesh (sort of like my support bra!) withstand? Surely, there's someone out there who's had the same or a similar procedure before?

Hi, I am breast cancer survivor too. Had the same surgeries-double mastectomy with tram-flap reconstruction in 2002. I was banded Jan 30,2007 and have had no problems with my mesh. I have just had a reoccurence with breast cancer in May of this year. Cancer spread to another location. But Oh Well, I wont let that beat me. Just finished 35 treatments of radiation and still kicking. I'm praying that will be my last battle with Cancer. So get you surgery!!! You'll be happy! I am!

Thanks for your reply. I knew I wasn't that "special!" I knew there HAD to be someone out there who had exprienced the disgustingly amazing (I don't know how else to describe it) adventures of breast cancer. You will certaily be in my prayers tonight, girl. I actually drove to Houston today & will attend the lapband seminar tomorrow night. Since the bc, my perspective has changed and I decided it's now or never for the lapband (I'm now 57!). Please keep me posted on your progress & treatments--I promise to have lots of positive thoughts for you. Where did you have your lapband surgery? Would you do it again?

sandy

You're right it was and has been an adventure with breast cancer. All the ups and downs and the worries. I decided to have the lapband, cause you and I both know we have to get and keep our weight down cause obesity feeds cancer. I live in Baltimore, Maryland and had my surgery with Dr. Singh at. Agnes hospitsal. I love him and his office staff and nurses. They take great care of me. Yes I would do it again. In the begining it can be disappointing cause you think your gonna loose weight right away and you don't. I was so hungry until I had my first fill. And my doctor says I you dont feel any restriction to come back in 2 weeks and he will fill you some more. I have just had my 4th fill last week and I can only eat a coupla bites of something. Because my band is tight but I want it that way to get a good weight lost going. I've lost 3 pounds since I had the fill last Thursday. My doctor also gave me a prescription for B12 shots that I give myself at home once a month. My insurance paid for the prescription. I give the shot in my stomach and it gives me energy for about 7-10 days. I need that shot to get myself in the groove to exercise..So good luck at the seminar and ask questions. The seminary was very helpful to me and made my decision to have the lapband more easier. And thanks for the prayers. You never can have enough of those!