Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Feedback for how you feel day 1-2 immediately after sleeve surgery

Hello,

I just had my sleeve surgery Jan 14th, 2016 and I feel fine. The only thing I'm feeling is a vomiting feeling. When I do it it's only Water will this feeling go away?

Well, I had my surgery on 12/21/16. It was a breeze & I am truly blessed. I didn't use any med while in hospital overnight. My only discomfort was gas and they said walking would helped so I walked a lot as soon as I could. I left the next day and recuperated at a hotel for one night. And the chest spasms started the next day. Found out later it was normal. I tried the prescription pain meds twice but didn't like feeling like that. And I wasn't in any real pain. The spasms, although uncomfortable, lasted a week. I just leaned to breathe thru those. The stitches are healing nicely. Recovery was a really easy. I did stuff around the house to keep busy. .

My only issue, almost a month later, is Constipation. I go see my surgeon 1/22 and will seek his help on that. I've always had issues but they were tolerable. Now it's gotten downright scary. Between the high Protein, the Iron, calcium citrate and the benefiber (I stupidly thought would help but I'm not drinking enough water), I ended up in the hospital. All these are bulking agents. And I just can't seem to drink enough. What terrible pain!

The day of surgery you barely remember then the next morning you are brought to drink this barium liquid sickly sweet to check you stomach ...which I threw up omg terrible. Then the rest of the day I was nauseous . Which is the worst feeling in the world . So....day 3 ready to go home they pull the drain....omg I screamed! So I want everyone just recognize all this stuff but literally the day I went home I'm fine!!!!

Showered, slept, barely any pain, no more nausea and no hunger that a Protien shake can't fix. I'm relieved and thrilled with my decision.

I was over night in the hospital 2 nights, 3 days.

Had the pain pump the first day and a half, then they took it off mid second day and gave me extra strength Tylenol.

My main struggle was sleeping at night, and on and off fevers. I felt weak too, but they make you walk around which is actually really helpful.

And you pee every two hours because of the IV. now THAT was a pain in the butt.

but overall-- looking back it wasn't too bad. I thought it would be a lot worse.

I felt really good day of surgery and all that night. I was pretty happy with myself. Then the next morning I had a bout of dry heaves that really did for me. My drain flooded and overflowed a couple of times (gross) and I managed to do something to my shoulder. I felt like crap the second day. Came home third day after surgery and have felt great since then (other than typical soreness and a slowly mending shoulder).

The CNA sat me in a chair in the AM and I think maybe I wasn't ready for it yet, or maybe the gas just attacked at that time. Dry heaves. Ugh.

The first two days I moved slowly. This is my 4th day post op and I'd have to say that the gas pains are the worst. I've been walking to the end of the street and back and it takes everything I have. I'm very tired when I get back so I lay down and rest and I'm also keeping up with my meds every 4 hours. Take it easy and do what you can however a nurse that I know told me that I need to walk because it helps deter blood clots. I've been walking 4 times a day and hope to either increase the length of the walk or just add another walk :)

Rubia take G2 (low calorie gatorade) it will help keep you hydrated and give you energy. Also try gas-x tablet extra strength. This will help with the gas. I also found that drinking warm tea helped move the gas.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Gatorade really helps. I was dizzy almost every day after surgery and no energy and once i started drinking it i felt immediately better. The electrolytes really help to hydrate our bodies. I Am 5 weeks out and take at least 8-12 ounces a day. I mix it with my Water throughout the day,

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

most people can and should walk around right away. I was really naseaus the first few hours. it's uncomfortable with the gas and bloating, as well as the staples and drain that are still in.

Sent from my SM-G900T using the BariatricPal App