Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone done water aerobics?

As I have ankle and knee problems, I am unable to walk long/hard enough to bring my heart rate up. I am allowed to bicycle, but it's so hot where I live right now. I've thought about joining a Water aerobics class and wanted to know if any of you have taken one and what your thoughts are? I'm concerned that since they are often geared toward senior citizens that it won't be very active (i.e. yoga under water).

Hi Lucy,

Water Aerobics is wonderful for your knees and joints and you can get your heart rate up. Our instructor has you jog in place in the Water and makes you raise your knees as high as you can as you are jogging. Also you can do bicycling in the deeper water and walk the pool the circumference of the pool (or is it diameter). I walk around the pool for about an hour so I figure I am burning off calories during this process too. And no perspiring unless the water is super warm. Makes me feel 10 years younger when I get out.

You might want to check with the WA instructor to see if jogging is included in their class as they might have milder classes for older people. Have fun finding a class!

michelle:ranger:

Ok i want to do Water aerobics but i'm afraid it will be all senior citizens. I'm 20 and i would love to have other younger people in the class. So for those of you who take it is it usually just older adults?

I went to one class at my gym. I'm 49 and many were about my age, but not much younger. I also found that the workout did not get my heart rate up at all. I have many other options, so I chose to stick with my other routine. HOWEVER, I did hear that the 'other' instructor is very tough and you get quite a workout....so I'll bet good money that his class is full of younger people, and this one happend to be the older group. So perhaps you should just try out different classes and/or instructors...or call around and express your concerns. I love to swim and that DEFINITELY gets my heart rate up....so much so that I have to take a break between laps. So I swim a lap or two then do exercises at the end of the lane either with the 'weights' or side kicks or whatever. That's a great workout for me and the best part is NO SWEATING!