Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hope to band....soon

Hi, I just found this site....I have my 1st consultation with the Obesity Consult Clinic (OCC) at New England Medical Center in 2 weeks. I hope to get "banded". I was scheduled for a gastic bypass September 2003, but the week before my surgery they read my EKG (dont know why they waited 9 months to read the report) and I have mitral valve prolapse. One of my best friends had her bypass the week after mine was scheduled and she wound up dying the week after, so I was pretty scared off from any surgery!!!

My cardiologist recommend lap-band surgery, so here I am!!!

I would like to lose 125 lbs.

Patty

Welcome Patty! There is lots of information on this board, browse through all the old and new posts and you will learn lots of information. Feel free to ask questions, someone here will always have an answer for you. Keep us posted on your progress with your surgery.

Hi, I just found this site....I have my 1st consultation with the Obesity Consult Clinic (OCC) at New England Medical Center in 2 weeks. I hope to get "banded". I was scheduled for a gastic bypass September 2003, but the week before my surgery they read my EKG (dont know why they waited 9 months to read the report) and I have mitral valve prolapse. One of my best friends had her bypass the week after mine was scheduled and she wound up dying the week after, so I was pretty scared off from any surgery!!!

My cardiologist recommend lap-band surgery, so here I am!!!

I would like to lose 125 lbs.

Patty

Welcome Patty! Very sorry to hear of your friend's death. :) That is so very sad.

While all surgery has inherent risks, the lapband is definitely the safer choice. There are trade-offs, but mostly healthy ones. The weight loss is slower, therefore more healthy. You do have the maintenance of the band (fills, follow up, possible annoying minor complications), but those are still minor comparatively. I think you have made a wise choice as long as you understand that it is a lifelong committment to changing your eating habits and don't expect the drastic results that gastric bypass offers in it's early stages.

I love my band!

Welcome Patty,

Congrats on chosing the lap band. It is much safer than Gastric Bypass. I am so sorry to hear about your friend :)

Patty, I'm so sorry about your friend! I know that your dr. will check you out thoroughly before he/she will schedule any surgery. Please try to get as much info. as you can BEFORE you get a band! Best of luck to you!

Hi Patty, I am also sorry to hear about your freinds death.

Good luck with your banding process. I have been banded for 15 months and it has changed my life.

Welcome, Patty! You've picked an excellent forum for research! I'm sorry to hear that your friend died, that is so sad.

Thanks for all of your welcomes!!!!

You have made me feel very "welcome".

I cant wait to catch up on all of your posts!!

Patty

Betty-I love harleys too, but I havent been on one on years....Cant wait to get back on one after I lose some of this weight.

Patty - You need to just go ahead and ride it now, don't wait. It really gives you tons of exercise too.

I also had a friend die from the Ryn surgery, but she was one of the first ones to have it done many years ago. I am sorry about your friend.