Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New and doubting

Greetings all. I'm new to the forum... And surprised to find myself here at all. I've never been much on social media and stuff like that.. But I read so much on this site leading up to my choosing to get a sleeve and found it really helpful.

I'm day five post op. And I feel really fortunate. I haven't puked. I don't feel awful. The pain is better every day.

But my head is a bit of mess. I keep thinking about the stuff I used to eat. Tonight is usually pizza night. And I've got a Protein drink. I can't seem to stop thinking about bread sticks, scrambled eggs, sausage. And it's got me really down. In my head I know this was right, that change needed to happen... But the rest of that is in my head too....

Thoughts?

Did you have a psych evaluation? Because what you are doing to yourself is mourning foods and dealing with head hunger, both of which should have been discussed within those appointments.

I think everyone ends up thinking about foods in the early days when you can't eat anything, but the liquids phase is pretty short in the grand scheme of things. Just keep telling yourself that and power through.

You can have those food again eventually. You'll be able to do eggs in the soft foods stage, and sausage shortly after. bread is pretty bad and should not be put back into regular routine in your diet, but you could have it occasionally in small portions without doing any major damage, but MUCH later in your diet journey. (it should be whole grain whatever, and again, not a diet staple)

The big thing to try to remember is that you are doing a hard reset - re-learning how to eat and what foods you should be eating to be healthy.

Just hang in there and try to redirect your time fantasizing about food to finding protein-packed foods/recipes that are good for you that you can start eating/cooking as you enter each new diet phase.

Edited by FrankiesGirl

At 5 days out thinking about food is perfectly normal. Just make sure you keep it down to thoughts and not actions. You've come this far as long as you stay the course it will be fine. Meanwhile find something else to occupy your mind. Once you start to progress back to foods, you can experiment with ways to get the flavors you like in a more healthful manner.

For example I found that yogurt mixed with Protein powder and allowed to sit in the freezer for a bit, made a good substitute for pudding and gave me a nice Protein boost.

I also discovers black bean Pasta which helped when I wanted Pasta.< /p>

Many have reported liking the Campbells (I think) Soup starters. They have flavors like tortilla Soup and such. Mixed with a bit of unflavored Protein Powder it can be a nice variation from sweet shakes.

But use this time to think about how to adjust your eating habits. A year from now one slice of pizza and a salad may be satisfying, or you'll find you no longer even crave pizza.< /p>

Thank you both... It's really good to know how common this struggle is.

Thursday I am in the same boat I have 15 people at my house watching football eating pizza drinking and baking Christmas goodies. I want to chew something and I love pizza. I just had surgery on the 30th after a whole week of Clear Liquids for thanksgiving.

Those emotions and cravings are always the most intense over the first month or so. It'll get easier as you get further out. Do your best to adhere to the proper diet and exercise regimens. The more you commit yourself to a healthy lifestyle now the more ingrained it'll become later on. Looking at the big picture, all you're giving up is well worth what you're going to get in return. I definitely have no regrets!

Best wishes!

Until you can actually eat normal food, you're going to have those cravings. It's called head hunger and it's a bear! The good news is it will pass :)

I really appreciate all the encouragement and words... Really helps. Thank you muchly.