Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anybody seen the Michael Moore movie SICKO?:omg: Man, I thought I have insurance issues. There is a man on there who accidentally sawed off the tips of his middle and ring finger. The hospital told him the middle finger would cost him $60,000 to get reattached and the ring finger $12,000. He couldn't afford both so he picked the ring finger. How messed uo is that? :faint:It really makes you think. If you haven't seen it you should. It might give you some insight into what the insurane companies really think about the lap-band surgeries. Even if you aren't a MM fan it is still a powerful film. Just thought I would share.

Yeah- I might be selfpaying too because I don't want get the band and them pay for it and then later "find" something in my medical report and slap me with all the bills out of the blue. That would be a nightmare.

I agree... I have decided it isn't worth the headache to deal with Insurance... my boyfriend and I are just going to self-pay... it will cut things shorter around here... but like we have all said before it is worth it.

I think that is what I am going to do. About how much does the self-pay run? I know it varies from state to state but there must be some sort of average number?

I have been gathering info. From a clinic here in KC (Malley Surgical) and it looks like somewhere in the neighborhood of 16,000-18,000. Hope that helps! :D)

I can see paying for the band yourself if the insurance company will not pay for it, but why not see if the insurance company will pay first. Try to save any money that you can. If they deny you, so be it but don't just throw your money away.

I haven't seen sicko yet but I can't wait to. It looks like such a good movie. something that will really make you think.

Well my thought is- I have to do a 12month supervised diet regime with doctor, dietician, and excercise. Currently, my insurance doesn't pay for office calls. So by the end of 12 months I will have racked up close to 5,000 grand anyway and then what if I invest all that money and still didn't get approved because it isn't like they want to approve me. Obviously, they are making almost impossible to begin with. Then I will have wasted 5,000 when I could just put it towards my surgery. I wouldn't have to convinve some old ass that I "really" need it and that I have been struggling with this my whole life. I can do it when and how I want and I don't feel like I would be throwing it away, it is an ivestment. Think of all the money I will save from buying less food and cheaper clothes. Everybody knows fat people clothes cost like 3 times as much. LOL.

I too have to go through a year of supervised dieting and all the crap before the insurance will consider me for lapband. I will wait and go through the requirements. I am trying to avoid self-pay. As for MM, don't believe everything you see in his movies. Alot of it is just plain old BS.

I figure whatever works. It really just depends on the person and their particular situation. I am well versed in politics and economics as I am a political science major at UMKC. I do believe Michale Moore is one-sided but it is factually based. Just because a person doesn't like what they are hearing or doesn't want to believe it does not make it any less true. The fact of the matter is- that this stuff does happen and is going on. It is a serious issue facing our country and I would say putting in such a crude and blatant way is the only way to get people to notice that there might actually be a problem. It is pretty evident just on this website alone, with all the serious hassels with the insurance companies. WE are paying them- if it was free I would understand. But, that is my soap box. I just want to get a damn lap band- lol. Don't mean to step on any toes.

HAHA! Amen! No I can totally get where you are coming from. Thats the beauty of america... everyone entitled to believe what they want :(

Ally I take it you are from KC? I have been looking into Malley Surgical center and have a seminar this saturday! ( my second go-round I missed the last one because I got the meeting times mixed up- fingers crossed!!) Are you planning to self pay? Do you know anything about financing?

Andreerichards1- are the surgeries any sheaper in Canada?

Hey sarah,

Yes I am in KC... I have read EVERYTHING i can get my hands on... and I am failry sure that I will be going with Dr. Stuckey at the Weight Loss Surgical Center in Overland Park. It is a beautiful facility and they do the procedure there. You have very nice hospital rooms for your stay etc. It is a very nice place and everyone there has been AMAZING! You can complete a seminar online and then call to ask any questions you may have. They also have a seminar you can attend... but it is only once a month... and I was ready to get the ball rolling so I did the online seminar and then called sheila in the office with several questions. I am going to finance through Capital One... that is the company that Weight Loss Surgical Center uses. check them out at Portal-to-Go Error if you want.