Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ups and Downs of that first few days after surgery.

I am in my 3rd day of recovery (surgery on 11/18) and its been one heck of a roller coaster ride. I came out of surgery thinking things were ok. The morphine worked wonders. After spending the night and having my "drink test" I was ready to be home and get started. They asked me before I left the hospital if I wanted one last drink of pain meds, but I said "Noooo, I am good to go". That evening the bottom fell out. I was shaky and sweaty while my wife went to get the tylenol 3 and other meds. She was locked up in traffic and waiting at the pharmacy and I was home DYING. I wasn't so tough after all and was wishing I had taken them up on that last dose of Meds. My fever went up to 100 degrees and I was nauseated. I was totally sick. My wife finally got home and I was able to get some pain meds, and felt better.

The next day was better and the fever was gone, but still not a happy camper. I got my 64 oz down plus 70 grams of Protein and about 7 oz of broth.

Now starting day three I am trying to wean off the tylenol 3 and I still feel somewhat nauseated.Today it seems as if I am struggling more to get the liquids down. One day at a time ...

It should get a little better each day. Good luck!

I think you are nuts to get off your pain medicine! I say in a loving way! There is no need for pain. I too had fever from surgery and I felt like death so I completely understand. That was the worst part of surgery (beside the pre op liquid diet). You got down a lot of liquids!!!! I finally got down about 12! I am about 30-40 (goal of 48 today). My surgery was Tuesday.

I will stay on pain meds as long as I can :). This has been very easy as far as I'm concerned except for the day I had fever. Then I thought I was dying :). Glad you are doing better!!!

I also wanted to say I did not reach my fluid goals the first few days but I was not that concerned cuz I was healing and didn't wanna feel bad. I have not been nauseated one single time. Fluids feel way better going down now. Day 3 I started feeling pretty good. So , yes, it gets better each day!!!

So glad the meds your wife got worked. This Tylenol 3 is it an over the counter product and is it liquid? How expensive is it? What other kinds of meds did she get if I may ask? I will be having my surgery sometime in 2016 and am beginning to get the supplies I will need.

Also was wonder if anyone knows are we allowed to bring (ACT® Dry Mouth Lozenges which are uniquely formulated to stimulate saliva flow and fight the harmful effects of dry mouth) to the hospital? I am reading that some people have to go for over 24 hours before they can have anything to drink because they haven;t had the leak test. I always have dry mouth and as a result I get a sore throat. I can't imagine going that long without my ACT.

So glad the meds your wife got worked. This Tylenol 3 is it an over the counter product and is it liquid? How expensive is it? What other kinds of meds did she get if I may ask? I will be having my surgery sometime in 2016 and am beginning to get the supplies I will need.

Also was wonder if anyone knows are we allowed to bring (ACT® Dry Mouth Lozenges which are uniquely formulated to stimulate saliva flow and fight the harmful effects of dry mouth) to the hospital? I am reading that some people have to go for over 24 hours before they can have anything to drink because they haven;t had the leak test. I always have dry mouth and as a result I get a sore throat. I can't imagine going that long without my ACT.

I don't know but you could ask. I used Biotene while I was in the hospital.

Tylenol #3 is a prescription medicine.

Tylenol #3 is a prescription medicine.

Thanks for that info. I see my Dr again tomorrow so I will ask if he plans to give me a prescription for it.