Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Coming Up On 10 Days Since Surgery - Post Op Diet Questions

I have poked around and found out that it seems like as many surgeons do this procedure, there are just as many Post Op Diet "guidelines". Some let you get onto solid food in a matter of a few days while I was told 4 weeks. Very confusing. It is something I didn't know about or consider pre op but will certainly be asking about at my appointment next week.

My Dr has a 3 phase approach. Phase 1 is all liquids with Protein Shakes being added after 48 hours. Phase 2 begins 1 week later and essentially adds thin hot cereals, thin cream Soups, puddings and whipped cottage cheese. Better but 4 weeks of this? Phase 3 is adding different solid foods a little at a time starting with mushies (soft eggs, egg salad, tuna salad, etc) then progressing to meat like chicken cooked very moist and mixed with broth or fat free gravy.

How many fellow "bandsters" were told to stay off solids for a month like I am?

sounds exactly like my program (US Bariatric-FL) I'm 1 week postop and would really like to chew something!

My appt is next Fri; I'm hoping he'll ramp up the program for me, though doubt it - regardless of how many times I promise to chew!:hungry:

I do understand your desire to chew something, I really do, but... Just because something goes down okay doesn't mean it isn't setting us up for damage later. The sutures are helping scar tissue form around the band and that's what holds it in place on our stomachs. The sutures only help hold it on the front, scar tissue is all that holds it on the back of the stomach. Everytime we eat something more than a liquid, (and no, chewing something until it's liquid does not count) it causes our stomachs (which are muscular) to churn and undulate to digest that food. That churning stops the scar tissue from forming, or helps break new scar tissue just barely formed. Liquid requires little stomach movement to process. When we start to chew something, that lets our digestive system know that food is coming down, fluids begin to be secreted to aid in digestion and the stomach starts moving in preparation to start the breakdown of food.

I understand that some doctors move folks along faster in their diet programs, that's okay if it's what your doctor says to do, but Allergan (the manufacturer of the band) advises a very slow progression.

Damage we do now freshly banded may not show up until a year or two down the line. Maybe we have a bad episode of vomiting and because we just couldn't wait to chew, we didn't get good adhesion of scar tissue early on, it may slip.

Most everyone here says that we should always follow our own doctor's advice. My doc's practice is a slow one, 4-6 weeks for solids as well. The Allergan website (the folks who MAKE the LapBand) says this about food stages:

Post-Surgery Nutrition

After surgery, you will need a new nutrition plan. Your surgeon

and/or dietitian can help you learn about and get used to the changes in lifestyle and eating habits you need to make. It is very important to follow the eating and drinking instructions beginning immediately after the operation.

In the first few weeks after your surgery, you will be on a liquid diet since only thin liquids will be tolerated by your stomach at that time. As you heal, you will gradually progress to pureed foods (three to four weeks post-op) and then soft foods (five weeks post-op). Finally, you will be able to eat solid foods.

Granted perhaps there is new research that says prolonged periods on liquid diets are not necessary and the Allergan site just hasn't been updated yet. However, I would want to know WHY a surgeon and nut (nutritionist) would make such drastic changes to their post-op eating plans. I would also ask that surgeon about what her/his complication rate is and more specifically what their SLIP rates are. Are they making these changes because of the AP band and the selling point that it's less likely to slip because of it's width? Is there a study they can show me to support the move so soon to soft foods? Has surgical technique changed and is there a way now to access the back of the stomach (not previously accessed because of it's proximity to the spinal nerves) and suture the band (I haven't heard of it)?

At least that's what the band folks have said for years that is how it all happens. That's how I was always taught that digestion works. Perhaps someone somewhere has done a new study and what we've always believed is actually not right. It's possible.

Do you see now why I'm hesitant to eat early?

Of course, if somoene can show me concrete good data (not just a study with a sample of a few patients) that our previous held beliefs are wirng, then I'll be happy to change my thought process.

Think about this, it is only 4 to 6 weeks out of your LIFE. Is that really that awful? Are we so far gone that we can't make a committment to something for a month to then have it help us in the long run?

You can do this!!!! We can do this!!!!

I was banded on July 17. I'm on full fluids for 4 weeks, then vitamised food for 2 weeks and then solids. I have to see the surgeon and dietician on August 15 and they'll decide then if I can go on to the 'mushies'.

To this point, I have only felt hungry twice and both times the 100mL of Fluid has filled me up. I'm meant to have 1.5L of Fluid each day in 100mL lots around 45 minutes to an hour apart. I haven't reached that yet, I'm still working on it. My left shoulder is still extremely sore and the wind is still really bad - I'm thinking once they settle down, I may feel like 'eating' a little more often.

I've been having low fat milk, yoghurt and custard, Tomato Soup, iced tea, Water and juice. I've started on Centrum Vitamins as they are tablet (no cellulose covering to worry about) and can be broken in half. After reading about hair loss, I'm also on the look out to get some Biotin.

I'm 14 days out and just started mushies - which includes soft fish according to my doc. I am OK to do normal foods after 3 weeks, and had a progression of one week Clear Liquids, one week full, then one week mushies. I had my first 'meal' today and boy do I feel horrible. Not in my stomach but lower abs - bloated, icky feeling. I think I am going to go back to liquids.

MM

Your explanation makes perfect sense! Had the Dr. and Nut. explained it so distinctly I would never had questioned it.

I can stick to this liquid phase for sure. Especially now that I can have cottage cheese, thinned hot cereals, thin cream Soups etc. My problem is I was never a sweet eater so sweet shakes and such are not my most favorite things as far as getting the NUTRITION and Protein required. At least the little bit of whipped cottage cheese gives some small chew sensation and a salty flavor along with good Protein. Heck even V8 juice is a thrill!

I agree that 4 weeks from the rest of my life is not much. However I am going to ask more questions on 7/25 (when I see the Dr and later go to the support group run by the nutritionist) now that I know what to ask.