Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Have You Convinced Anyone Else To Have The Surgery?

So I'm not shy when recommending it to people who I believe may benefit from it. Someone has to. Most people don't care about people enough to be honest and upfront like that. All you have to do is mention it once. Whether or not they climb onboard and begin to look into it is up to them.

There is a big difference between being "honest and upfront" and being rude and tactless.

;)

Oh I will gladly share my story with anyone especially if I think that it might help them but I would never imply that I was sharing it for any other reason than just telling them something about myself because I would never want to hurt someone like people have hurt me and others with weight issues. I believe it is my obligation to let people know how wls has helped me and how it isn't a miracle cure but the best dang tool I could ever have to get to a healthy weight. It is important that we start talking about this with pride and not shame because it will save lives, however, we have to be careful how we approach the subject and make it about out own experience and hope and not as an insult. (although I don't believe the op was meaning to insult the personally it came across that way)

Ps. I have an android and I can't figure out how to "like" people's posts, can someone tell me how to do that

I meant the original poster was not trying to insult the person. Ugh I can't figure how to edit with my android app either. Sorry

Now after reading her response I am not so sure that she cared about insulting that man or not..

I have a friend that is easily 350lbs, and has been obese her entire life (she's 49).

She has had nothing but feet, ankle and knee problems lately, and is going to under go a whole knee replacement next week.

She knows I had the surgery, and has seen my success on Facebook. I struggled for a while whether to ask her if she ever considered it, as losing weight would eliminate or at least decrease most of the health issues she has. In the end, I decided against it. I'm sure she sees how it's helped me, and is able to make her own conclusions about WLS and ultimately decide for herself whether it's right for her.

I just always find it ironic that some people who have difficulty with the "major surgery" and "drastic" aspect of WLS end up needing drastic surgeries to repair the damage to their bodies that being obese caused.

Well said !!!!!!!!

I'd have to say YES. I don't offer advice, but I am not ashamed of my decision to have WLS. I am proud of my accomplishments so far, and I am happy to help anyone who wants my help. So, when I say I convinced people to have the surgery, it's not because I "talked" them into it...because I didn't. They made their own decision based on my (and others at my work) great results, and they "asked" me who my surgeon was, and "asked" me how to get started. I have not lost one friend with this convincing. In fact I have gained friends and supporters, and we all Celebrate each others victories and successes. I am super transparent and open, and people I work with know they can come to me and talk about anything without being judged. I believe in this life saving surgery with all my heart and soul, and if someone wants to hear my story and my story convinces them to take the plunge, then....good for them!

@@RyansGirl89 just hold your finger on the post, and it will come up on top to "like" it. It's a "thumbs up" icon you touch, there is also a "comment box" icon there too.

Wannabethinsoon, thank you for responding but it isn't working on my phone for some reason

Yea I am trying to view it in desktop and that changed some things so maybe I'll figure this out. Thanks for your help though I really do appreciate it

I have encouraged my sister to consider it (we've always been the two obese ones in our family). She's two years younger than me and now that I've lost 90+ lbs and am no longer obese, I think it's making her sad that she's sort of "alone". Our financial situations are different and we live in different countries (I'm in the U.S. And she's in Canada) so her process may be very different than mine ones. That being said, when she comments about my weight loss, or that maybe she should look into surgery, I encourage it, but don't pester or push her. I think making the decision to pursue surgery is very personal, and to be successful you have to make that commitment yourself.

I think your heart was in the right place. But as others mentioned above me, you know when you're obese. I am set to have my surgery on 12/2. The reason I am going thru this surgery is because I came to realization that I am a fatty and my health problems would increase if I didn't do anything about it. I have a friend of mine who is 5'4 and 314 pounds. She was recently diagnosed with diabetes and is extremely self conscious about herself and her body. Earlier in the year we both agreed to do weight loss surgery together but she changed her mind before we could even get started in the process. I have asked to go thru with it only because I want her to be healthier and happier. She comes up with multiple reasons on why she doesn't want to do it like not having money to go thru the process (she has insurance) or fear not waking up from surgery, etc....she decided that she wants to lose the weight on her own and all I can do is be supportive of that. The person who made a Facebook rant about you is probably sensitive about their weight and has not come to the full realization that they are obese.

i have a friend similar to the op he never understands why he cant find a mate when he goes after girls that are tiney tiny and stick figures and he is well over 400 pounds. also i have asked him to seriously consider wls because i am afraid i will lose my friend to his health in his 30's. i mean the man sleeps on cinderblocks under his box spring instead of a regular support system

Like wannaBthinsoon, I have been totally open and honest about my surgery. And while I haven't actually sat down and suggested WLS to anyone or even talked anyone into it, I do know of 3 people that had WLS because of my success. They approached me and I answered any questions they had. One had VSG with my surgeon, one went to a different Mexico surgeon, and one went through their insurance and had bypass in the U.S.

I currently have 2 clients asking lots of questions and are considering VSG for themselves. They were thrilled TO hear about a WLS Option that wasn't bypass or lapband. Another friend is looking to revise her band to VSG. My PCP and OB/Gyn have also given my surgeon's info to some of their patients who don't have insurance that covers for WLS. Not sure how many, if any, have gone through with it.

Edited by Kindle

I just always find it ironic that some people who have difficulty with the "major surgery" and "drastic" aspect of WLS end up needing drastic surgeries to repair the damage to their bodies that being obese caused.

Ironically, the one and only person who gave me sh it about surgery is a friend that thinks all surgeries are too drastic. She has uterine polyps and precancerous cervical cells. She bleeds almost every day. But she will not have a hysterectomy. There is no talking sense to her because she is right, everyone else is wrong, and she feels fine.