Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Protein Shakes - Do I have to?

You don't have to drink your Protein if you are cleared for other foods. It just helps you get in your protein when you are on liquids or can't eat a large enough volume of regular food to get in all your protein. Their is nothing magic about Protein Shakes.< /p>

Hello everyone! Thanks for your responses. I've read them all and purchased and tried so many things this week. I'm still having so much trouble. I think the reason I can't drink the shakes is due to sensory issues with the texture. Other items I've tried this week haven't went so well either due to the after taste, etc. I did come up with a liquid concoction yesterday by taking hot chocolate with no sugar added and adding 6 tbs of the Peanut Butter powder from GNC. It's delicious! The Peanut Butter taste is there but not overwhelming. It's 23 grams of Protein per cup.

I do have a question, why do I have to drink my Protein? I've found the last day or two that I can get in 80-90 grams of protein daily by only eating protein rich foods.

Thanks so much for your help!

What are you eating? If I don't drink shakes I'm not even close...

For Breakfast yesterday, I drank the hot chocolate with Protein Peanut Butter to equal 23 G protein, a couple of hours before lunch I ate 3 oz of Kroger's Carb Master yogurt to equal 3 protein, for lunch two slices (2 oz) of deli meat turkey breast with 1 tbs of sharp cheddar cheese, a total of 13 g protein, afternoon snack I had 1/2 cup of cottage cheese equaling 14 grams of protein, for dinner I had chicken breast (1.5 oz) and a slice of swiss cheese, a total of 18 G protein, before bed a had another hot chocolate for 23 g. Total of 94 g of protein. I put everything in my fitness pal.

My concern is the NUT where I had my surgery says I have to consume Protein through drinks. Now that I can tolerate the hot chocolate, I'm wondering if I have to add a couple of cups of hot chocolate a day? I would rather closely monitor my protein intake in foods and then add liquids to supplement my needs to get to a goal of 100g of protein daily. That will certainly motivate me to eat protein rich foods. Win/Win if you ask me.

jackiesleeved2015,

Yes, you have to! At least, that’s the short answer. Protein gives you calories, lets you heal, keeps your immune system up,…you need it!

They’re really, really hard for some sleeve patients to get down, especially in the first week or two. Sometimes a straw helps (be careful not to suck in air). Some patients take all day to drink their 3 shakes. It’s a tough thing.

Like the others have suggested, keep trying different forms of Protein. There are tons of different brands and flavors of shakes. Also, unflavored protein in broth is another option.

Don’t give up! If you do, recovery will be so much harder and take so much longer. You can do it!

My doc won't even let me have Protein Shakes until week 3. I am on Clear Liquids only. I MUST drink Isopure Protein Drinks for my Protein. He is very conservative but I have to say I have had not one ounce of nausea and I feel great!!! I think I feel better than I should. I have broth, Gatorade, Water, isopure and auger free Popsicles. I actually feel like I could handle mashed taters or Soups or yogurt but I will not risk it.

Was yours on 17th? Mine was.

My doc won't even let me have Protein Shakes until week 3. I am on clear liquids only. I MUST drink Isopure Protein drinks for my protein. He is very conservative but I have to say I have had not one ounce of nausea and I feel great!!! I think I feel better than I should. I have broth, Gatorade, Water, isopure and auger free Popsicles. I actually feel like I could handle mashed taters or Soups or yogurt but I will not risk it.

Was yours on 17th? Mine was.

Wow, that is probably the most restrictive and conservative post-op program I have seen. Just make sure you get in enough protein with your Isopure.