Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How to ask my doctor for the band?

When I asked my PCP for advise about the lap band, she gave me the usual pre-printed diet and told me to diet and exercise. Another time she told me to do South Beach. She made a disapproving face and told me to do the work - diet and exercise. But we all tried that - over and over through the years and it didn't work for us. Then I mentioned it to my OBGNY -- she had several patients who had weight loss surgery and had great results. After checking with one of her patients, she gave me her phone # and I was able to actually talk in person to someone who had the procedure done and who recommend a doctor.

I had my surgery done at a hospital that has the "Center of Excellence" for bariatric surgery. Maybe you could search for a hospital that has that designation near you - they always have seminars and you could attend to get more information and speak to other people who have already had the surgery done. Good luck to you and even though it's uncomfortable for you, don't let one doctor's negativity discourage you!

Luvli23,

Seeing my PCP was the most nerveracking part of the banding journey for me. I was so worried about it! In hind sight, everyone here has said what is true -- the doctor works for you. You don't need their approval. if your PCP isn't supportive, then he or she doesn't really understand your medical condition -- morbid obesity -- and you need to find a PCP who understands it and will support your choice to do something with a reasonable chance of improving your health and quality of life (i.e. banding, not diet and exercise alone).

So, here's what I did. I couldn't find a recommended doc through NYU (weird, right?). So, I chose a doc on my PPO (Oxford) at random. Then I CALLED HER before my appt and asked her to return my call. I was very emotional on the call (which must have been weird for her, since I'd never even seen her). I told her that I was a new patient, that I was 5'2, 32 years old and 350+ lbs. I told her I'd researched the band for 3 years and was having it done, and that I wanted to know BEFORE I made an appt with her whether, if my health was in order, she would support this decision, or whether she was adverse to WLS in almost all circumstances. She said she couldn't tell me she'd support it for me without seeing me first, but that she wasn't opposed to WLS in general. That was enough for me, so I made the appt. She has been my biggest supporter! Her name is Dr. LeBeau and her office is at 28th and Park, if that's convenient for you. (212) 725-2660 ext 6.

As for the information session, you should definitely go to one or more. I did the research and knew I wanted to go to NYU. Here's a link to their program. There are other good programs in the City, but this is the cream of the crop, in my opinion. They really understand banding (it's more than 98% of their practice), are liberal with fills, and really know what they're doing in terms of aftercare. And Dr. Fielding has done more bands than any other doc in the US, as far as I know.

Good luck and feel free to PM me if you have questions about NYU or Dr. LeBeau.

NYU Thin For Life

Link to the info sessions (the next one is 7/26; then 8/1)

Gastric Stapling, Lap Banding - Ask A Question - New York University Surgical Weight Loss Program

~~GOOD FOR YOU JULIE~~

I know it wasn't easy to go your way, but "BRAV-O!" for doing so! And THANK YOU for sharing. No one should put up with a PCP who is unsupportive. This is hard enough as it is!

You took the high road, did what you needed to do for YOU and have just about beat that demon for good! I'm so proud of you!!!

Katie

I just found a surgeon that I was comfortable with, made an appointment with her, and got my insurance approval through her office. When I told my gyno, she wasn't thrilled to death, and told me that no matter what, I still would have to eat right and work out (duh!). I haven't seen her yet, but I will be seeing her in a few months. I wonder what she'd say if she saw how much weight I've lost so far...