Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Starvation, when you transfer your addiction from eating to losing weight

@@winklie I'm sure you could substitute the powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury shakes. Here's another one I forgot that's simple and really tasty for crustless pumpkin pie:

Crustless Protein pumpkin Pie

15 oz. can 100% pumpkin (not pie filling)
½ cup Egg whites or Egg beaters
1 ½ cup Premier Protein vanilla shake
¾ cup Splenda
½ tsp. Salt
2 Tbsp. Pumpkin pie spice

Preheat oven 400°. Spray pie pan with non-stick cooking spray. Beat all ingredients together until smooth and creamy. Pour into prepared pie pan. Bake at 400° for 15 minutes, then turn down to 375° and bake for 45 minutes or until a knife inserted in center comes out clean. It is best served cold and can even be frozen. Serving size is 1/6 slice of pie. I used a Tbsp. of fat-free vanilla Greek yogurt as a topping (pic) but you could use Reddi-Wip fat-free whipped cream for an additional 5 calories & only 1 carb per 2 Tbsp. serving.

Nutrition Facts

Servings: 6

Calories 77

Fat 1g

Carbs 10g

Fiber 4g

Sugars 6g

Protein 9g

post-236324-0-62810700-1447480033_thumb.jpg

post-236324-0-60906300-1447480049_thumb.jpg

post-236324-0-31984200-1447480061_thumb.jpg

@@Inner Surfer Girl

That was a great article. And again I am not sure this will translate well, but I am not what I would deem a perfectionist, My best friend is. His entire world MUST be perfect. If his wife leaves her car keys on the table instead of hanging them on the assigned hook a fight ensues.

I seek perfection as a measure in my actions not my life. My house ranges from clean to messy, I may leave dishes in the sink, or not clean my room and it does not bother me in the least.

However if I set upon a task, I expect to do it perfectly, within reason. If I were to take on a task I have never done before and have little understanding of, failure is an option, however I will learn said task, master it then demand perfection.

I am very hard on myself, I expect, that on a given day, whatever I do will be done perfectly. And I get mad at myself if I fail to meet that standard. On January 1995 I got fired from a job, became full on manic, went to see psychiatrist who was fully booked and told me to come back. I smashed the widow to the receptionists area, and tore a door off it's hinges trying to get to my Doctor. That was hospitalization number one. In January 2000, I managed to open both my Radial arteries and came within minutes of bleeding out over another job failure. That was my last hospitalization. I came to accept my disease during my 30 days in a locked ward. I promised myself that death was no longer an option for failure. I have been very active in managing the symptoms of my disease since then. And yes I have a lot of scars from punishment, I have not done that in several years.

I did very well in the pre-op phase. I lost all my weight in 60 days and even more. I moved more and ate less, and it worked. Now post-op the rules have changed and I am struggling to figure out what to do to succeed. The answer I think is to work the program and do what I am told, as the hundreds of thousands before me have done. This is what I am going to do.

I have eliminated daily weight loss as an expectation, it's why I am debating smashing my $200 scale, it serves more of a negative purpose than a positive one. However once I get out of this stall, the scale goes back to being a reward center.

I have a new outlook on weight loss. I am not in control, my body is. I just have to do the right thing and I should be fine.

Places where I demand absolute perfection, school. 2 years in and I still have a 4.0 GPA. Anything less would be failure. And I have it in my power to not fail, I am very smart and school for the largest part has been more of a time sink than an effort, but that is just me. School has always been easy for me.

So I would amend my initial statement that there are certain aspects of my life where I demand perfection, and certain parts I could care less about. But if I am going to build it, design it, work on it, I will do so with the expectation that if I know enough about the project I will do so perfectly. Weight loss no longer falls into this category, as pointed out, the body is going to do it's own thing, I am just along for the ride, if I do what I am supposed to do I will succeed, thus I will do what I am supposed to do, get my eating back on track, wait the three weeks until I am back to an unrestricted diet and go from there.

Edit, my fear of gaining a ton of weight as a result of eating yesterday was unfounded, I lost another.3 pounds, further proof that working within the system does indeed work. No I did not smash my scale....yet.

Edited by winklie

Been stuck in a stall for 3 weeks, or about that. Like perhaps 4 or 5 pounds over that time. Now I am DETERMINED to lose weight, I am down to 350 calories a dayt I see my therapist on the 20th along with a new Pdoc, what to do in the meantime? Tomorrow is weigh in day, and I am afraid if I don't see a big loss for the week I might start becoming anorexic.

HELP!

How is 4 or 5 lbs a "stall?" A stall is 0 lbs. You are "DETERMINED" to lose weight, yet deny that it's exactly what you are doing. nYour expectations and views are dangerously off; 350 cals is frightening. The best "HELP!" is the suggestion to get in to your surgeon's and to call your psych immediately for an earlier appt.

Edited by WLSResources/ClothingExch

@@WLSResources/ClothingExch

The post is getting a bit long but if you read back, I upped my calories and got back on track. As for the 4-5 pounds, that was up and down, I have no idea the actual total I can tell you for two weeks in a row my weight was exactly the same on two consecutive Fridays, so perhaps my guess was off.

I agree 350 calories is too low. I am back to basics, Protein shake in the AM, and food all day. Shooting for 700-800 calories a day. I get plenty of liquid, I could get over 100 oz without a sweat, I got this sip sip sip thing down to a science.

I actually called my NUT and she has yet to return my call (which is really odd).

Yesterdays final nutrition is printed a few posts back. I feel much better today than I did yesterday as well.

Great post and ideas. It is overwhelming going from diet stage to stage. It really is.

Todays totals:

843 Calories, 13.8g Fat. 6g Fiber, 73.2g carbs, 970mg sodium, 114.1g Protein (YAY!!) 88 oz Water.

That I think for 6 weeks out was a pretty good day. Carbs are high but 40g are from the milk (skim) in my Protein shake, and my chili, so not much I can do about it. Now to see what the scale says tomorrow.... or do I smash it?

This was yesterday's totals, the thread moved a lot since then, I can see how you may have missed it.

Edited by winklie

@@winklie -- I'm glad that you're feeling better and got past the bump to take better care of yourself and think more clearly. When I arrive at a dance late, i.e., past two pages, it's difficult for me to do all the reading for several reasons which aren't important here.

I did see that you're bipolar and drug-resistant and appreciate the obstacles that are part of the package. Maybe it would help you to give yourself reminders -- verbal, index cards on the cabinets and bathroom mirror? -- to do the work properly and the rest will keep up or catch up when its ready?

Edited by WLSResources/ClothingExch

I am currently working on taking the decisions out of eating by pre-planning my meals a week ahead. It has proved to be a lot more complicated than expected, I do not have many meal choices as of yet to choose from, so expanding my food choices is a work in progress.

I take a number of psychotropic medications throughout the day and have an alarm on my IPhone to remind me, typically at meal times, so once the meal plan is in place and the food cooked, frozen or whatever, when the alarm goes off, I'll just check to see what I am supposed to be eating.

Todays wrap up:

Daily Totals
Calories
Fat
17.3 g
Fiber
6 g
Carbs
69.2 g
Sodium
992.2 mg
97.8 g
97 fl oz
Daily Calorie Composition: 34% from carbs, 19% from fat and 47% from Protein.

Great job!

In my opinion, if your Protein goal is 100 grams, you have plenty of room Protein and calorie-wise for one more 5-10 gram protein snack.< /p>

You might want to consider planning for some pre-portioned snack options in the 5-10 gram range to have on hand for just such days.

It could be a cheese stick (or two), some nut butter, some nuts (if you are far enough out), etc.

@@winklie I think I can appreciate the type of thinking you're dealing with. I developed an eating disorder my senior year of college about 10 years ago. I felt like I was doing everything right to lose weight and it wasn't working, so I took it up a notch. I ate as little as I possibly could and purged when I felt I'd eaten too much or anything remotely unhealthy. I thought "I can do this for a little while until I've lost the weight I want." (I didn't even need to lose weight then.) But in a matter of weeks the tables were turned. I realized I no longer had control of it. It had control of me. I got help and got better.

An eating disorder is a real threat and I'm glad you're catching yourself and reprogramming your thinking.

Because of my past, I have to be careful. Our bodies definitely work in ways that defy logic. I've heard people here say they broke stalls by upping their calorie intake. Somehow it gave their bodies more fuel so they could expend greater energy.

I've hit stalls and have found it helpful to focus my perfectionist tendencies on working the program exactly how my surgeon and nut advise instead of moving the number on the scale. You WILL be successful if you follow the program. I repeat that to myself all the time when I'm in a stall.

Dunno if this helps at all, but putting it out there just in case.