Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So I am in process of WLS and I am a bit nervous about the pre testing like blood work and etc.. I am diabetic and I fear my high A1C will slow the process. Could someone please give me some feedback? thank you.

Are you type 1 or type 2 diabetic. Do you take mess to control your diabetes? Are you on a sugar free diet. Do you make sure that all your food is sugar free/low in sugars? Do you know the other names that sugar goes by in ingredients?

To be quite honest I have fallen off the wagon and its just a bit hard getting back on. I am emotional eater which sucks and because of the out of control diabetes I feel the surgery is just the best way to go. Its an everyday struggle but I am trying to what's right for me right now. Sorry didn't mean to go there.

So Bariatric surgery often reverses type 2 diabetes so I would not be too worried about that. I would suggest you do lots of research on Bariatric surgery and the type or surgery that you will have. Also, start incorporating the changes that you will be required to make to have a successful Post-surgery lifestyle before surgery. The sooner the better.

Thank you for the advise I have started the process for the Gastric Sleeve. I am trying to incorporate better foods into my diet as well. How did you after surgery as far as pain and etc...?

I faced the same problems that you are facing. In fact I still struggle with emotional eating. I've learned to recognize it and now have tools to help me deal with it (drinking Water, keeping busy - I make Paracord bracelets and such to keep my mind and hands busy). Remember that the surgery is only a tool, you need to be committed to making the changes necessary to sustain a healthy lifestyle.

Exactly! I have 3 children 2 of them are special needs hence the emotional eating. I am just at a place where now its my turn to take care of me. The extra weight for me is my stress depression and etc... I am a point where I want to release all of it.

I will have gastric sleeve surgery in 8 days. I spent 2 years researching everything I could find and the last 6 months trying to incorporate the post-surgery changes. I am too stubborn to go through this process and fail. I've warned my wife that when I can start exercising after surgery I may turn into a "health nut".

I know that's right failure is not an option over here either I hope everything goes well for you.

Thank you. I will tell you what helped me was making one change at a time. Doing that until I was comfortable and then adding another change. I still didn't make all the changes I wanted too (still struggling with chewing my food like I should... When I was eating food before this 2 week liquid diet that is trying to kill me. Stomach and head in constant battle).

Good luck. You got this. You know you better than anyone. Sometimes it just takes being honest with yourself (which is way harder than it seems).

I am diabetic. I noticed on here a while back someone posted their surgeon wanted their a1c at a certain number before they would even do the surgery. Freaked me out so when I went for my consultation, I asked my surgeon. He told me no, he doesn't have that reqirement. He's operated on people who had a1c's of 12 and 13. However, he did check mine and it would not have made a difference, mine was 5.9...the lowest it's ever been. So I would ask my surgeon asap so if it's too high,you will have time to lower it.

Great suggestion, I will ask thank you.

Did u have your surgery already?

No, i haven't had my surgery yet. My insurance requires a 6 month waiting period and the other requirements that need to be met (psych eval, nutrition classes, 6 months of PCP visits). I have completed four months so I will be eligible for surgery on Jan 15th.

You may also want to check with your surgeon to see if your cholesterol and triglycerides have to be at a certain level as well. I have seen at least one person on here who could not have their surgery until they got those numbers down. However, all surgeons are different in their requirements so just ask.