Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery Tore My Throat UP!

Hydrocodone helps the most...but it hurts like the dickens going down :o I have to dilute it in apple juice and Water and ice, so it's a lot more liquid, and then takes me like 40mins for it to go down!

I went to see my PCP today (because ENT's take forever to get to!). She looked down my throat and said "Honey, i don't know how to fix this!". I was running a low grade fever, so she did a swab and will send it out for culture to see if it's getting infected. In the meantime insurance is trying to assist in getting me to an ENT asap.

My surgeons office has only suggested I see an ENT if I feel I need to. I guess when you sign away that you understand all those risks of surgery, this is probably one of them.

I read that once they put you to sleep, they have seconds before you stop breathing on your own and then establishing an airway is critical. In that regard, I'm happy to be alive :) I will keep you all posted!

Omg! There's no reason! The only time a patient should have their throat ripped like that is when an emergency intubation is done or a patient is fighting it. You were knocked out, so he was just being careless! I would definitely go see an ENT and see what's going on.

I'm sorry you went through that. I had similar issues,was sleeved this past Tuesday,December 22,just home from the hospital yesterday evening. When I was in recovery after waking from anesthesia, my throat hurt so bad .I kept screaming that I think I have strep throat. The doctor ordered a numbing spray for the nurses to spray my throat every few hours. It helped but the hurt finally went away when they removed this tube that connect to stomach to drain any excessive fluids. I was so over that pain.I started crying like a baby and didn't care anyone saw it. But I feel way better now.

To all reading this post, quick update, throat is 100% healed. Was the pain worth it...absolutely! My progress is nothing short of phenomenal and I am daily grateful to God for blessing me with this surgery :) Sending everyone love and happiness!

Glad to hear your throat is better. Almost 8 weeks is an awful long time to be in such pain with your throat, of all things. I gather the incisions were not as painful as the throat. Congratulations on the 40 pounds lost as well.

I finally got my surgery date of Jan 26th and hope and pray I do not have the same throat issues. However I will continue to follow your thread, just in case I do. Keep going strong and you will make it to goal.