Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Artificial sweeteners?

I am a huge iced tea fan. So when I heard I can have Decaf post-op I was ecstatic. My pitfall is I'm a sweet-n-low person all the way. Not looking for advice on how bad artificial sweeteners are lol, I know, I'm informed....just wondering what experiences are like using sweet-n-low, Splenda, or equal. Thanks in advance.

I am a huge iced tea fan. So when I heard I can have Decaf post-op I was ecstatic. My pitfall is I'm a sweet-n-low person all the way. Not looking for advice on how bad artificial sweeteners are lol, I know, I'm informed....just wondering what experiences are like using sweet-n-low, Splenda, or equal. Thanks in advance.

good question here. I too would like to know if there is a "good" artificial sweetener or if all are taboo. I will ask the NUT today while at my Dr's appointment. I believe I read in my WLS bible binder from my NUT that your body doesn't know the difference between one sweetener or the other, it just recognizes them all as a sugar/carb. But it's an important bit of information to be sure of.

Generally most artificial sweeteners are O.K. unless you have an allergic reaction to them. So if you can tolerate sweet-n-low before surgery, you should be able to do so afterwards.

Generally, I use Splenda and Stevia. I also use sugar alcohols, such as those found in Adkin's treats. But I am a 30 months post-op. I have diabetes type 2 that went into remission the day I left the hospital. And it has remained in remission the entire time. I periodically check my blood sugar levels to validate.

This link may be of help. http://acsh.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/Sugar-Substitutes-and-Your-Health.pdf

@@smb1966

As far as artificial sweeteners are concerned, all have their disadvantages and research suggests using them sparingly. I have been told by both my PCP and surgeon that our bodies can actually process zero-calorie sweeteners as it would sugar, causing both weight gain and insulin resistance. I try really hard to use any type of sweetener in extreme moderation.

I used to use Splenda for recipes, especially for baking as it worked great as a substitute for white sugar, even the BS Splenda was a great alternative to regular brown sugar.

However, I have recently discovered Monk Fruit (in the raw) and it has made a wonderful substitute for Splenda and or white sugar. It doesn't have that licorice taste that Stevia has and it is much sweeter than white sugar.

http://www.intheraw.com/products/faqs/monk-fruit-in-the-raw

Update… . I asked my Doc about artificial sweeteners at my appointment. His exact words were, "I don't care if you use artificial sweeteners, really no difference in which one it's your preference. It's not going to hurt your weightloss"

In the hospital they gave me Decaf iced tea with Splenda and sweet n low packets because I cannot do aspartame and my choices were literally just broth that tasted like sweaty old socks and onions boiled in Water and then the decaf. That's all I had the entire time I was in other than a LOT of water/ice chips! They are totally safe to use if you would have used an artificial sweetener before.