Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pain / life afterward

Hi, this is my first post on this site. I look forward to many more in the future. I made arrangements to attend an information session next week. I have a couple of questions I was hoping some of you could answer for me. How much pain were you in after your surgery? I have had 2 c-sections and was wondering is it is at all comparable. Also how long until you were able to do things like drive, housework, caring for your kids. I am a full time mom and part time student and was wondering how long I will need help at home, and how much time I will need to recover before going back to school. I am trying to plan ahead and any experiences would be appreciated. TIA

Beckie

Beckie, I was also a student when I was banded. I was banded April 19th. School was in session for another month. I needed very little help at home. Reading some of the posts leads me to believe that C sections are MUCH worse than the lap band. I have never had a c section, this is just coming from what I have read on other posts. I was doing lite housework about 3-4 days out. Some things hurt worse than others and of course I was told if I start to do something and it hurts, STOP!! I have older children so lifting was not an issue with me. I also talked with my professors who let me "take" the rest of the semester off, and do my work from home. That was a big issue with me, but I was having it done, whether I had to haul a bookbag around or not!!! Read, read and read some more. That is the best information you can get.

It is nothing like a c-section (I've had 3). It is much easier. The first few days are the toughest (still not like the c section) you are sore and tired but that does not last long. I had a very strange port pain that only a few people get and if it wasn't for that, it would have been a breeze. Make sure the doctor that you choose has plenty of experience, do not be afraid to ask "how many have you done etc". Plan on a good solid week before you get back too your daily routine but there are some people on here that were back to work in a couple of days but I would recommend at least a full week.

Good Luck....see you in bandland!

I had it on Thursday went back to work on Monday......... MUCH easier than my c-section. Take the time to read this site, you will learn SOOOO much that you may even know more than the nurses who tend to you after surgery. (I did) I was told several times they were not really familiar with the procedure I had done... I asked them to remove the leg thingy's so I could get up and walk around... and I did .. walk walk walk it was the best thing I could of done for myself!

Thanks so much for your insights. I have two kids 4 and 1. I didn't have trouble at all recovering from the c-sections. A little soreness, but on my feet within 8-10 hours.

Totally different to a Csection. Although I found my one Csection quite easy to get over too. But nowhere near the limitation to movement etc that you have with a Csection.

But its different because you have to get over a general anaesthetic and that does kind of lay you out for a few days.

But I was back to regular mild daily activity within a week and certainly well enough for a gentle 3km walk the day after my surgery.

Hi, this is my first post on this site. I look forward to many more in the future. I made arrangements to attend an information session next week. I have a couple of questions I was hoping some of you could answer for me. How much pain were you in after your surgery? I have had 2 c-sections and was wondering is it is at all comparable. Also how long until you were able to do things like drive, housework, caring for your kids. I am a full time mom and part time student and was wondering how long I will need help at home, and how much time I will need to recover before going back to school. I am trying to plan ahead and any experiences would be appreciated. TIA

Beckie

Oh my goodness! A C-section is about 500,000,000 times worse than banding. Okay, so that is an exaggeration. If you can do a C-Section and dare to get preggers again, banding will be a piece of cake.

With banding no muscles are cut with the incisions and that makes a huge difference.

Each person is different but usually those with desk jobs can easily go back in a week or so. Many go back in 3-4 days. For me the one issue I noticed most of all was that for two weeks I would simply get tired easily. Very easily. I am not one to take naps but I was the first two weeks after surgery.

Lifting your kids will be a different story. Many docs don't want you lifting anything over 10 lbs or so for a few weeks. This is something to ask your doc.