Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

ok, dumb social experiment

When I was recovering from surgery I was scouring craigslist for some stuff related to my home remodel. Cool. Well, I somehow stumbled into the personals "missed connections" In my pain pill induced stupor I had this romantic vision of eyes meeting across the train platform but before the fated lovers can speak, or exchange phone numbers, she is wisked away... and true love is missed.

Well, not really, but it sounded like a fun romantic thought.

So, the other day I went by a local business to pick up an growler beer order "to go" (for my sons to try a microbrew I really liked and wanted to share with them) the place they have you wait is like on display for EVERYBODY to look at you and being it was a brewery it was like 90% men in there. So, a nice looking man, probably 10 years younger than me, but who knows, was looking pretty intently in my direction. We exchanged glances, but for all i knew, he was waiting for someone to walk in the door as he was pretty focused looking.

Even so, I decide on whim to put up a missed connections ad. My description of myself/time of day was detailed enough, that if you had seen me, you would know it but I didn't put my age or home town location or anything like that. My description of him was a little vaguer but still.... hair color, general build, color of clothing. I kinda said something like, i am single, if you are, let's have a beer together. I put that ad up an hour ago and I have 2 replies already. So, either I have discovered that #1 missed connections is just a pool of crazies and not my romantic notions OR #2 maybe there were 2 guys sitting there thinking they would like to say hello. I am leaning toward theory #1.

The one that sent his picture though - I am pretty sure that was him but the baseball cap is throwing me off a little. Damn, now what do I do? HA! Why do I get caught up in these ideas of romantic intrigue? If nothing else, it maybe tells me I need to be a lot friendlier in person and maybe some one in real life will actually ask me on a date so I never have to log into a dating site again!

I have never done the missed connection thing, but I would ask him to wear the clothes that he had on that day (the best that you can remember) and send a picture. Ditto for you. Then, if you decide to meet, meet at the same location. That way the person and the location are the same and you will have the greatest chance of remembering if this is the right person.

My man and I have been together 9 1/2 years. We met through the Craigslist Personals, at the time that I was conducting my own social experiment. It just seemed like all the men who posted wanted a 21 year old Barbie Doll, but I was a round, short, 55 year old, thrown away twice hot mess. So......that is what I posted.

I got 93 responses in about a week's time. First I eliminated the perverts who sent pictures of their anatomy. Then I eliminated the ones who sounded crazy. Then I eliminated the ones whose interest was not compatible with mine. I had nine responses left out of 93.

I dated a couple of frogs and the met up with this guy who was my age, tall, thin, soft-spoken, and employed. We met up at the White Castle restaurant, went to a movie matinee down the street and then parted ways. He called me a few days later to see if I wanted to go to a White Sox game, so I did. We have been together ever since. End of hunt. I did not need to look any further.

That Craigslist experiment changed my life. I wish you the best result possible on your experiment, too. Being honest and up front is a good approach. It looks like you are trying to be careful.

Thank you both for your replies. I guess I was being a little tongue in cheek asking for advice.... i thought it was an impuslive this for me to post this but i don't believe that prince charming was sitting there waiting for me to pick up a growler.... i just have had this romantic notion about "missed encounters"

My radio station picks the funny ones and reads them on air. Some of them are HILARIOUS and I think are meant to be a joke. I hope you find yours for real!

@@Miss Mac - Great experiment and great story.

@@CowgirlJane - I always wondered about the missed connections, but who knows, it might work. Just meet at a public place during the day time. It would be cool if it worked out.

Good for you to try…life only happens if you reach out.

Just be careful (which I know you would be) and let the romantic story continue…how fun!

Obviously, let us know how it turns out. If you don't mind. ^_^

When I was recovering from surgery I was scouring craigslist for some stuff related to my home remodel. Cool. Well, I somehow stumbled into the personals "missed connections" In my pain pill induced stupor I had this romantic vision of eyes meeting across the train platform but before the fated lovers can speak, or exchange phone numbers, she is wisked away... and true love is missed.

Well, not really, but it sounded like a fun romantic thought.

So, the other day I went by a local business to pick up an growler beer order "to go" (for my sons to try a microbrew I really liked and wanted to share with them) the place they have you wait is like on display for EVERYBODY to look at you and being it was a brewery it was like 90% men in there. So, a nice looking man, probably 10 years younger than me, but who knows, was looking pretty intently in my direction. We exchanged glances, but for all i knew, he was waiting for someone to walk in the door as he was pretty focused looking.

Even so, I decide on whim to put up a missed connections ad. My description of myself/time of day was detailed enough, that if you had seen me, you would know it but I didn't put my age or home town location or anything like that. My description of him was a little vaguer but still.... hair color, general build, color of clothing. I kinda said something like, i am single, if you are, let's have a beer together. I put that ad up an hour ago and I have 2 replies already. So, either I have discovered that #1 missed connections is just a pool of crazies and not my romantic notions OR #2 maybe there were 2 guys sitting there thinking they would like to say hello. I am leaning toward theory #1.

The one that sent his picture though - I am pretty sure that was him but the baseball cap is throwing me off a little. Damn, now what do I do? HA! Why do I get caught up in these ideas of romantic intrigue? If nothing else, it maybe tells me I need to be a lot friendlier in person and maybe some one in real life will actually ask me on a date so I never have to log into a dating site again!

Girl! You have big balls!! I admire your courage. EEEEK!! I'd totally ask the one you think it is to meet you back in the same place at a certain time. Go in a few minutes earlier and hang. If it's him that walks in, great. If it's not, he'd never know you...

@@CowgirlJane Whatever the outcome I think it's awesome that you placed the ad!! If nothing else it gave you an opportunity to do something you haven't done before.

To me that's what this surgery has given me- a chance to grab life by the horns and live to the fullest.

I know from your posts that you seem very outgoing, adventurous and have a zest for life!!

Keep us posted on your possible mystery man!

You're awesome.

I dunno 'bout this missed connection business. Reading the posts brings to mind two old movies that, I'll admit, vary from the scenarios you describe, but the aura is the same. At best, and this is not a movie, you'll find @@Miss Mac's ending (good going!). At average, "Brief Encounter." At worst, "Strangers on a Train."

It's also hard to believe, @@CowgirlJane that you received a response from the man at the microbrew. You're outside the city, but not in an area with pop. under 500. I can imagine myself running an "MC" ad:

"We glanced at each other this morning, 8:37 a.m., on the northbound Lex just before it pulled in to the 42nd. No idea which car we were in, but, hell, here goes I was seated 3rd in from the south end of the rear center bench on the east side of the car wearing black coat, black shoes, carrying a large tan & black bag. I'm brunette and was wearing Estee Lauder's "Dashing Coral" lipstick. You, about 5'10, dark hair, brooding eyes, light gray suit. Shall we give it a try?"

If 92% of males who ride that line around that time read the ads daily with intentions of replying, it's conceivable that I'd receive 200,000 replies. Now that I think of it, it would make sense to place an ad only if a carrot-top catches my eye.

Edited by WLSResources/ClothingExch