Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap-Band Meal Diary

On the subject of food there are a lot of posts. I would like to read about what the long time Bandsters eat during the day, when you go out for dinner, parties, BBQ's, Thanksgiving....

I eat anything I want, just in much smaller servings. I can't eat things that are doughy, like soft breads, because they stick in my chest and it hurts until it gets through, but I haven't really had much of a problem with anything else. The only time any other food hurts is when i eat too fast, or don't chew it well enough, both of these issues require paying attention to eating while eating, which is something I am still working on. If I forget, it only takes one or two bites to remind me, and it can be the first bite that will stop me and make me wait a while until it gets down before I can continue eating. I do however work on making better choices just because I do want to succeed at this, and since my intake is so reduced, I want to make sure I'm getting in enough of what my body needs.

Exactly (what she said). You definitely want to focus on Protein - hard Proteins (if you're past liquids) and veggies, which I never get enough of.

Because your pouch is so small, if you have restriction, you need to make what you do have count. So, Protein first, veggies second, anything else IF you still have room.

In social situations, I find it tougher to make very good choices, but I do still try to focus on meats and if I feel I wanna try the other dishes. I do. I just get a spoonful of several things and eat what I can. Personally, I find having the band a big relief during times of social eating. I can go into those situations with the confidence that I will not leave totally stuffed anymore and feeling guilty for what I put in my mouth. Now, I can spend more time visiting with the relatives or helping out in the kitchen and leave with a clear conscience.

I love my band!

Exactly what Pam and Leatha said!!! I love going out for dinner because I'll either make my hubby share with me or I'll get my own and I'll have leftovers for at least another couple of meals. I got the nerve to go to a chinese buffet awhile ago and found I just take a bite or two of each item I wanted and still only ate about 1/2 my plate. At home I use saucers as plates and they work great. One meal I almost always eat consistently for Breakfast includes one egg and one Morning Star vegetarian sausage. That will keep me full till lunch. Best of luck to you, Teresa

for the input. As I wait for my approval my mind keeps thinking good idea, bad idea, good idea, bad idea................. I just don't want to do something that is going to leave me with doubts, and asking the questions "could I have done it without the band? I am sure that is something that you all have asked yourselves. I love food and love to cook it even more. I don't want to give up the things that I love.

If you love to cook, that's a perk. Because you'll be able to control what you're eating, how it's seasoned, what cut of meat to use. I'm able to eat pretty much anything I want. I try to avoid the empty calories, like tortilla chips. I can order a more expensive meal (grilled shrimp, steak, chicken, etc.) and split it with my husband. It's plenty big. Most restaurants don't use plates, they use platters! If you're eating for one, then get a take out box right up front, and put that extra out of sight for your lunch the next day. I think we all struggle with "if I could do this, I wouldn't need to do that to lose weight". But we've fought it and what we're doing isn't working. So we are lucky enough to get a "tool", the band, to help us succeed. We still have to do our part, it's just a possibility now! Best of luck to you!

We all do and have, Jack. I think that was my last thought before they put me out for surgery and probably one of my first when I woke up. 'Why can't I just do this myself?" Truth is, our bodies chemically want us to be fat. Something has gone haywire in our chemical makeup and yes, we could white-knuckle it for awhile, but you let your guard down and it comes right back. Do you know many (if any) people who have ever lost over 100lbs and kept it off for good? I don't. It's not entirely impossible, but it's pretty close.

We are not failures because we've had to resort to weight loss surgery. We are winners because we have come to a place where we can admit that we haven't the power to kill this beast and we're smart enough to seek out the tools that will help in that battle. I think that is far better than wallowing in self-pity but adding pound after pound year after year for the rest of our lives (what little there would be). That's my take on it anyway.....

hi, power,

and hi, guys,

you can eat just about anything only in small protions.... but, you must tame the beast, and i agree with leatha, when you get the band , your hunger, will still be the same, and as you eatit will still come out the ravouse hunger,, and you'll find that you can't stuff you face,,,lol.. and we've all been their, at one time or another... , we should have stopped, but, we didn't, and when the food didn't want to go down, you know what's next and, you, don't because, you still go by taste,...

then you see a full plate, and all thaat food, you don't want it to go to waste, but, so you take, that spoon in you mouth and pain follows, and you feel so sick .than, you learn , that you can't do that kind of eatting any more.... but you'll still try again and again...because , you don't belive there is anything there to help you, but, it takes a couple of month's or weeks to find that out is there and that's , when you get it , then , you start to work with the band..

you'll get to enjoy, cooking for your family, and if you have a big family, and you like to cook a lot , more power to you,... you can cook pie's, cakes, roast, turkeys. ribs , and are able to tast only taste , you don't lose the joy of cooking.. just, the power to stop stuffing your, face....lol...

because, at one point saying no to yourself was not helping you and you needed help ..so if your health was at risk or your body,couldn't take the weight, that will help you, to refleck, on why, you had the band put in you, will, keep , you thanking yourself for such a great, decision you've made, and it works.....

just some idears:

breakfast; 1egg, any way you like ,f.f. 1or 2 pieces. pancake, half a dollar size,bacon 1/2 slice or 1slice,

oat meal, farina, corn flakes , cheerios, ham 2oz., Every thing in small portion.

lunch; tunefish 3oz. egg salad , potatoe's any way that you make it you can eat it, salads w/dressing, applesauce w/cinnamon or plain , and the same kind of produces.

dinner; chicken, fish, red meals, rice, bean. But.. you will learn that the food that you were eatting ,before YOU MAY NOT TOLERATE THE FOODS YOU US TO EAT BEFORE. SO IS A TRAIL AND ERROR.. PROCESS. AND EVEN IF YOU ATE IT. TODAY. TOMORROW, YOU WILL NOT. SO YOU NEED TO BE VERY CAREFUL. WHEN YOU EAT, AND EAT ONE OR TWO BITEs TO SEE, IF IT GOES WELL , WITH YOU, FIRST, THIS DOESN'T MEAN THAT YOU CAN'T EAT THESE FOODS EITHER IT JUST, MEANS,TO TRY THEM AT ANOTHER DAY. OR TIME....THEY MAY GO BETTER WITH YOU,THEN.

these is the guide i was given... 4oz 3x a day, and Water, 48 or64oz. vita's now, and 3xday Protein Drinks in between, and excerise, i have found that,.. IF YOU DON'T MOVE, YOU DON'T LOOSE , is that simple it suprised me to learn this one but, is true.. and i'm still learning , but, i won't go back to putting my health at risk,.... is all good.... is a decision only you can make, is your life, search your heart, is your best guide, may, everything go well with you,..

margie,

-------------------------------------------------

margie

295/257.8/140goal

bx. ny. dr. texeiria

montiforie hospt.

no fills, hoping not to.

IF FROM ABOVE, A SPARROW IS SPECIAL , YOU ARE MORE PRECIOUSE......