Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weird Pain ... started this morning

Okay, so before anyone jumps all over me, I am monitoring it and my husband is aware of it and if it changes, gets worse, or doesn't go away I will be calling the doc's a little later today!

So, now for all your opinions ... I woke up this morning with a weird pain in the left side of my abdomen. Kind of slightly under my rib cage and into my side. It is pretty steady and constant, but does seem to intensify a bit and then back off. It is not the typical gas pain that I have gotten in the past, but I did try a couple GasX strips just in case. Nothing changed. Sometimes it is sharper and kind of takes my breath away. Did nothing out of the ordinary yesterday, nor did I eat anything different. I am 6 mos out of my VSG and just passed my check up with flying colors last week. Vitamin levels are all totally normal & doc said incision site healed beautifully (he couldn't even find my scar at first). I drink a minimum of 64-75 fl oz a day and get between 70 - 80g of Protein a day. I have already had my gallbladder out, so it is not that.

Anyone have any thoughts? Or anyone have anything similar this far out???

if it changes, gets worse, or doesn't go away I will be calling the doc's a little later today!

It is not the typical gas pain that I have gotten in the past, but I did try a couple GasX strips just in case. Nothing changed. Sometimes it is sharper and kind of takes my breath away. Did nothing out of the ordinary yesterday,

Or anyone have anything similar this far out???

Unfamiliar pain can be worrisome. Your first line above is the reasonable plan, but I like a good poll before Breakfast.

You knocked my two thoughts out of the ballpark, but I don't know that there is a "typical" gas pain. Gas moves around in search of an exit route. THe other is muscle strain, but you say you did nothing out of the ordinary. Can you be sure? This may be like bruises: We rarely know how we got them.

You could check to see if it's a hernia. If your toilet is in a small room, that's a good spot to try. Sit on the toilet, reach up over your head, bend to the right and slightly to the back, and use the wall to help you (walk your hands along it). Bend as far as you can - really stretch. If that relieves the pain, it's a hiatal hernia.

Not a doctor, yada yada yada.

@ -- P.S. I'm curious about something. Did you really have surgery a month after your first appointment? All things are possible, but I've never heard that one. Is there more to the story?

@@Sharon1964 -- It's unfair that medical tests must always be so inelegant. They make dental visits seem like dancing at the cotillion........Is this test always reliable?

Edited by WLSResources/ClothingExch

@ -- P.S. I'm curious about something. Did you really have surgery a month after your first appointment? All things are possible, but I've never heard that one. Is there more to the story?

There is a lot more to the story ... I actually started the bariatric program in 2011, but had to stop due to a serious back injury. :( I went back to the program in 2014 once my PCP determined my back had healed enough to proceed. I had my NUT appointments, but had only met with the surgeon once when there was change to my insurance plan. In order to ensure that I could actually go through with surgery prior to the switch, and not have a HUGE out of pocket cost, they pushed me through and fast-tracked the rest of my tests and appointments. It was hectic and crazy, but I am so glad that they were willing to work with me, especially since it was the second time around.

I don't know but two things you mentioned: you are six months post-op, and the pain is sharp at some times.

I was always told that sharp pain is a sign to see the doctor.

Any gas pain from the surgery would have dissipated six months ago.

I would call my doctor asap.

@@Inner Surfer Girl -- Your message is the often-needed reminder that the doctor is the place to start.

@ -- Thanks for the details. They remind me of a lyric snippet: "What a long, strange trip it's been." I"m glad you got to your destination.

Edited by WLSResources/ClothingExch

It only took me six weeks to get the surgery. I was self-pay and didn't haven't to follow any insurance rules.

I delayed the initial hernia testing by two weeks to fit my own schedule. Guess I could have got it done quicker if I had not delayed the testing.

Edited by PayItForward

It only took me six weeks to get the surgery. I was self-pay and didn't haven't to follow any insurance rules.

That's the most obvious possibility and it hadn't even occurred to me as a reason for @'s shotgun banding. I appreciate the memory-jarring.

This maybe totally wrong direction but don't rule out your appendix. Had two separate friends have to have them out this year. One just short of rupture, went straight into surgery.

Wish you well and hope this gets resolved quickly. Let us know your okay.

@@Sharon1964 -- It's unfair that medical tests must always be so inelegant. They make dental visits seem like dancing at the cotillion........Is this test always reliable?

If it relieves the pain, yes.

Appendix pain would start on the right. Eventually it mirrors itself to the left.

Did it go away? Did you call your doctor?

Spent most of the day in the ER yesterday. Ruled out all the life threatening issues ... still don't have an answer though.