Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bring my baby to Mexico?

I'm planning on a gastric sleeve done in January, in Mexico with Dr. A. My husband will be coming with me. We have a baby that just turned one. Neither of us feel comfortable leaving him with anyone here.

So, would it be a problem to bring him??

Regardless of your plans (such as how long you'll stay in Mexico; whether your husband will be your helper/caregiver or you'll have someone in Mexico arranged by the surgeon's office; etc.), I think your best decision would be to have family take care of your child back home. Either set of grandparents? If they live far away, can they stay at your house for the time? It would be simpler than your having to take the baby to them plus go to Mexico.

There's a difference between having no one who is safe and reliable and being jittery parents who think no one on the planet can fill the bill. If this is your only child and you've never left him before, your discomfort may be the latter. You've seen other parents like that. It's a common discomfort, but is there really a valid basis for it?

You won't feel great and won't be up to scooping your child up. Consider how much care and attention such a young child needs and how much help you'll need yourself for a while. Other members who've had sleeve can give you a better idea of what to expect

If you're really stuck for someone to leave him with, you can have me. I was a champion aunt. I still am, but my nieces are now in their late 30's. They told me when they were little and tell me now how much fun I was and am. Two of their kids will provide references. Vote for me!

Make it as easy as possible for yourself. You'll miss her and she'll miss you, but think of the exciting reunion you'll all have.

I wouldn't take the kiddo. What if he suddenly develops a case of "mommy-and-only-mommy-will-do?" I'm thinking that happens around his age. Imagine him screaming his head off relentlessly until YOU hold him, no one else will do. Now imagine trying to recover from major surgery.

Just don't do it.

Well, it feels like I'm going to be leaving a vital organ at home, but my baby will not be coming with me. :( I know it's the right decision, but my sensitive mommy heart is already aching. I keep reminding myself that it's only for a few days...

@@JengaBee -- understandable, the first separation and all. At least you'll be better prepared for first day of school.

Skype or Facetime so that you can hear/see each other. If you can, bring back a pinata so you can have a festive party, the three of you and whomever will be taking care. Or get a cheerful little gift before you go, hide it in the house and give it when you get back. Or get a cheerful little gift for yourself, hide it in the house and "discover" it by surprise when you get home. Or send me a cheerful, extravagant little gift.

Edited by WLSResources/ClothingExch

I flew from Minnesota to Florida for surgery, so I know it's not quite the same thing, but my sister and 13 month old (at the time) came with. She took care of him, and it worked out fine. He got a bit cranky when I couldn't hold him, but nothing a bribe with an applesauce pouch couldn't handle :)

I'm not saying it will work for everyone- I've got a super easygoing kiddo, for one thing, but it worked out fine for us!

~*~ Find me on YouTube: Trisha's Sleeve Story ~*~