Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Please don't be mad and get upset at what we say here!

Sorry that I'm not perfect at writing (typing)

I I wanted to say is that some people here were yelling at others for skipping taking their Vitamins and told them that they could die from it.

So I asked my doctor and she explain the difference between bypass and sleeve surgery..

I didn't say to not take them I'll I said was to take your time to find what you can take because it doesn't affect as much as it does for bypass patients with absorption of mineral Vitamins etc for them.

Like I say it's always scary to write something here I wanted to deleted but I couldn't find out how!

Nice day everyone!

That's not completely true. Yes sleevers don't have as much malabsorption issues as bypass patients. Part of the reason why we take supplements is because we don't eat enough to get all the proper nutrients from food. Of course it varies person to person which is why regular bloodwork is vital. A year out I don't take half as many supplements/vitamins as I did early on. I also never had to take Iron supplements at all. However left unchecked a Vitamin deficiency could cause series illnesses and in rare occasions death.

There is no reason to be afraid to speak your mind here. Differing opinions is not the same thing as bashing or getting mad. It's just the sharing of opposing thoughts.

Opinions are like armpits, some stink, some don't. In the end we are all responsible for our own results. So chose wisely and listen to your dr.

Awesome response!

@@agalindo17

hey bud

looks like you erased a paragraph from your original post

i responded to that statement

not sure why you erased - i think it would have been good to see by all

kathy

I think it's important to have blood work done before and after a weight loss surgery to know whether you have any Vitamin deficiencies, and then tailor your Vitamin intake accordingly. I talked with my endocrinologist last month because I was going through stomach issues and couldn't take any Vitamins. (I had the VSG in Mexico so I saw my local long-term doctor instead). I was also having signficant problems with a lot of the food I was eating. She told me to not take any Vitamins during that time period, not even the Vitamin patch, because they were all causing more distress. Taking a vitamin and then vomiting it up was beyond counterproductive. During that time period the main focus was simply getting enough liquids and food in my system so I wouldn't become dehydrated. I didn't consume nearly enough Protein then, either. My mentality then was - don't rock the boat. Fortunately my stomach issues did eventually abate and I'm back to faithfully taking my vitamins and eating normally. I've had blood work and the three weeks of not taking any vitamins didn't make a substantial impact.

I do think you should take your vitamins, but if there's a legitimate reason for why you cannot take them then don't mentally abuse yourself over it. Talk with your doctor and have your blood work evaluated. A few years ago my doctor told me I'd been taking too many vitamins and some of my levels were elevated. Taking too much of a vitamin can be as damaging as taking too little sometimes. In my experience that's been especially true with B vitamins.

As for Multivitamin recommendations the one my body seems to like the best is Garden of Life Vitamin Code for Women.

I think it's important to have blood work done before and after a weight loss surgery to know whether you have any Vitamin deficiencies, and then tailor your Vitamin intake accordingly. I talked with my endocrinologist last month because I was going through stomach issues and couldn't take any Vitamins. (I had the VSG in Mexico so I saw my local long-term doctor instead). I was also having signficant problems with a lot of the food I was eating. She told me to not take any Vitamins during that time period, not even the vitamin patch, because they were all causing more distress. Taking a vitamin and then vomiting it up was beyond counterproductive. During that time period the main focus was simply getting enough liquids and food in my system so I wouldn't become dehydrated. I didn't consume nearly enough Protein then, either. My mentality then was - don't rock the boat. Fortunately my stomach issues did eventually abate and I'm back to faithfully taking my vitamins and eating normally. I've had blood work and the three weeks of not taking any vitamins didn't make a substantial impact.

I do think you should take your vitamins, but if there's a legitimate reason for why you cannot take them then don't mentally abuse yourself over it. Talk with your doctor and have your blood work evaluated. A few years ago my doctor told me I'd been taking too many vitamins and some of my levels were elevated. Taking too much of a vitamin can be as damaging as taking too little sometimes. In my experience that's been especially true with B vitamins.

As for Multivitamin recommendations the one my body seems to like the best is Garden of Life Vitamin Code for Women.

Thanks for the comment... Is not that I don't want to take them is that I haven found in the 6 months from my surgery a vitamin that sits well in my stomach so someone here was telling other people that were having the same issue or didn't feel like taking them and yelled at them and said u can eventually die... That's why I went to my doctor and said what I stated earlier... But definitely is something we have to take is just for some people might take some time to find what they are comfortable with!

@@agalindo17

hey bud

looks like you erased a paragraph from your original post

i responded to that statement

not sure why you erased - i think it would have been good to see by all

kathy

I was trying to erase the whole thing I guess I messed it up and now I don't know how to fix it back ????

I don't take my weight in Vitamins. I only take Vitamin D because I'm always deficient and I live in Idaho where the winter lasts 5 months, and Calcium because I'm kind of old, and that's it. I like to get my Vitamins from food, and I wanted the sleeve surgery so I could.

My blood work is great, too.

@@agalindo17 - Why delete it? There is no need to delete here. Anybody reading this post can see your clarification further down. It's frustration to those trying to help when people delete the original post.

How does one "yell" on the internet?

Imagine how mean this people are that is felt as if there yelling on the Internet! ????

How does one "yell" on the internet?

Imagine how mean this people are that is felt as if there yelling on the Internet!

Wait, whuuuut? My question was serious. How does one "yell" on the internet? I've been using the World Wide Web since AOL dial up days.

I've never felt "yelled at". I've gotten into disagreements, I've had people cuss at me, fuss at me, call me names, but written words on my computer screen have never YELLED at me.

How is my question mean? Wait! Were you just yelling at me?

Regarding getting mad and being upset…I try hard to keep these forums civil. I want everyone to be able to express their opinions, ask questions, and disagree in a way that is not offensive to anyone. I think we can all benefit by remembering to take a few breaths before answering any post, and also to remember that what you type might not be read exactly as you meant to say it.

Regarding bariatric vitamins…the ones you need to take and how much you need to take depend largely on your surgery type. Like some have mentioned, the gastric band doesn’t interfere with nutrient absorption from food, so you won’t need as many supplements with the lap-band as you would with the bypass or sleeve.

The supplements you need also depend on your diet. Right after and maybe for months or years after WLS, your diet will be pretty restricted – you won’t be eating much food, and you might not be eating a huge variety. That means it’ll be hard, if not impossible, to meet your nutrient needs from food – so you need supplements!

Yes, it is good to have your doctor monitor your levels for life to see which supplements you need to start or continue to take, and/or if you need to change your doses. It’s also important to remember that Calcium doesn’t show up on any easy test. You can get blood calcium tests done, but they don’t show how good your calcium levels are in your bones.

Also, that many of us throughout our lives, whether we have weight loss surgery or not, usually need some sort of Vitamin supplement. It's just the nature of our modern diet.

I would argue if you forget to take the Vitamins your doctor recommends every once in a while, it's not the end of the world. But, if you neglect to take them all the time or don't seek out advice from your doctor if you have difficulty taking them, then the results can be serious.