Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I drank at least three diet cokes per day prior to my surgery. I was really worried about not being able to have them anymore because I got severe headaches every time I had tried to quit them in the past. I'm a month post op and really have not missed them at all. There have been maybe three times where I thought "a Diet Coke would be good right now" but it was a passing thought and not strong enough to act on. I even still have diet cokes in my fridge and haven't been tempted to touch them.

I have really been surprised by how well my new tummy is working for me. I accidentally skipped Breakfast this morning and forgot to make anything to bring for lunch. I ended up getting a baked sweet potato from a local restaurant just for the sake of having something to eat. I cut it in half and thought for sure I would devour the one half because I felt like i was starving. I'm only about 6 bites in and I already feel full.

I'm saying all this to say, have a little faith in yourself and what your new stomach will be able to help you accomplish. I know it is scary to think of a new life without your favorite things but I promise it won't be as hard as you think. Take it from someone who had a real addiction to food. I haven't had any of those bad foods in over a month and I do not miss them. I enjoy being able to eat some lean meat and feel full after a few bites.

It's not the carbonation in sodas that's the problem, but their acidity.

About 10 months post-op I had "one of those days" (stuck for 10 hours on a road trip with relatives who stopped only at McDonalds, Sonic and Dairy Queen for food). That day / night I wound up drinking about 32 ounces of fountain diet coke. And being a good WLS patient, I let the carbonation bubble away for the most part.

Didn't help. For the next week I was really f**ked up with horrific GERD. I had to go back to my proton pump inhibitor (Protonix), and even that didn't work well. Within 10-12 days I was back to feeling normal. But boy, I won't ever do that again!

One woman's anecdotal report there.

(Others' mileage may vary, but don't bet on it.)

Yeah my surgeon said never again... and I'm alright with that. While my love for Pepsi was tremendous, my love for myself and the reason's I had the surgery to begin with are far more important to me... So I can go without soda.

I had such a bad Pepsi and coffee addiction that I drank innumerable quantities of both. My Pepsi addiction was so great I was able to trade in for Pepsi memorabilia. ( I have no idea if they still have those online) However I earned enough that I *still* have a really nice Pepsi picnic blanket and 2 CDs full of pop music (Michael Jackson, Britney Spears, Ricky Martin, etc...). The straw that broke the camel's back for me was when I had my hysterectomy years ago. I was in the hospital in pain and got that afternoon caffeine withdrawal headache. I vowed never again. That was the end of my soda drinking days and I cut back on coffee to no more than 1 a day. As I worked on my health I decreased that. When I needed to switch to Decaf for my sleeve I had no ill effects. Now I can take it or leave it as far as coffee is concerned and I have rediscovered my love of Water.

I tried a few sips about a month or so out and it felt like my stomach would explode! Way too much gas for me. When the notion hits now, I just get a small Coke slurpee from 7/11. A few sips satisfies me for a few weeks or so.

I was told never again for anything carbonated as it would stretch the sleeve and no soda because empty calories