Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Will I ever be able to have carbonated drinks again? There is conflicting guidance -- some say it will definitely stretch your stomach so DON'T do it and my doctor says no it won't stretch your stomach. I'm having surgery on November 12th and getting very anxious as I drink carbonated drinks ALL DAY and NIGHT. Majority is from carbonated tea made with my Sodastream but also from Diet Coke and Diet A&W Rootbeer. I discovered the joy of the Sodastream back when I did the HCG diet and they said I needed to drink a gallon of Water a day....just adding some carbonation to water/tea makes it possible for me to drink that much in one day and actually enjoy it. I look forward to having Diet A&W rootbeer everynight before going to bed and am freaking out that I won't be able to have it anymore....

SO all that said post-sleevers, what has your experience been with carbonation? Can your new sleeve tolerate it? Has anyone actually had their sleeve stretched from drinking too much carbonation?

Well, above all, you should listen to YOUR doctor. The main problem that I am aware of with carbonation post-sleeve is gas and discomfort. I definitely would steer clear while you are first healing post-op, since you won't want to do anything to jeopardize the healing process. Once you are all healed up and onto solid foods, you could try to introduce a little carbonation and see how you react.

Personally, I haven't had carbonation since my surgery, because I haven't felt a need to. But it sounds like you are much more addicted to it than I ever was. Even before my surgery, I mostly just drank Water and coffee. I had to go 30 days post-op before I was allowed coffee again and I literally counted down the days I missed it so much! Sounds like your relationship with carbonation is more like my relationship with coffee. So I can definitely sympathize there!

Remind yourself that part of the reason to have this surgery is to change unhealthy eating habits. There is zero nutrition in a soda, even a diet soda. With limited real estate in your tummy there's barely enough room for Protein >veg>fruit. Drinking what amounts to carbonated sugar may not be in your best interest. Early on the carbonation may actually be uncomfortable although I have heard of other poster drinking flat soda. Discuss this with your doctor or nutritionist. You may need to explore alternative ways to get in your Water. Once you hit goal you may be able to tolerate soda occasionally or you may find you no longer have a taste for them.

My surgeon told me to give a few months and we'd revisit carbonated diet drinks.

He's well aware of my prior Diet Mountain Dew habit.

He said that he saw no problem with them if I could tolerate them. He said the fizz is a bit much for many folks during their first year or so.

Some of the folks that I've been in contact with in our bariatric program have picked them up again with no problems. Some haven't because they said they simply lost interest in them.

As big of a fiend as I was on them before.......right now I could take 'em or leave 'em. I'll give it those suggested few months and see if I even have the desire for them.

It's funny.....when I was pre-op I did wonder how long it'd be before I had certain food & drinks. Now....just 2+ weeks post-op....I can truly say that I no longer think about such stuff. food is simply not a priority any longer. Sure, I have to have my Protein every day......and I thoroughly enjoyed cooking for my family this week.....but I no longer think about it.

There is no doubt in my mind that I'll actually enjoy food much more now...in my new life. The reason is that I'm not addicted to it and it occupying my thoughts. When I do sit down to a high protein-low carb meal I will savor the flavors while not being hellbent on stuffing myself.

Guiltless dining. Yes, Please !!!!!

This is what my surgeon and NUT say. No carbonated beverages again. While it won't stretch your stomach out, it will usually cause a lot of gas and discomfort, especially if you aren't far out from surgery. Also, because liquids tend to "go right through" your stomach, you basically are just drinking a bunch of calories with NO nutritional value at all. They won't make you full or anything- you basically are just drinking pure calories. I used to be ADDICTED to Mt. Dew. I haven't had any in 3 months now, and plan on keeping away from carbonated drinks. Surgeon also said that drinking carbonated beverages is the number one reason people gain weight after surgery.

Edit: I also would recommend what they had me do- STOP drinking carbonated beverages well before your surgery. Get used to not drinking them. The first few days suck, especially if you have caffeine withdrawal, but after that, you honestly won't even miss them.

Edited by ♥dreamable

My surgeon who is board certified said to me no sodas or any carbonated drinks unless you're willing to drink them flat. I hate flat drinks so he said just leave them alone for good. Like someone mentioned above, think of the reason you're having this surgery. Sodas are sugary and have no nutrients. This surgery is for us to change the old habits and develop new and healthy habits. As a soda drinker myself (I'm pre-surgery) I realize that I won't be able to have another carbonated drink and I'm ok with that. I hate being overweight and I'm looking forward to doing right this time.

Before surgery I never drank carbonated drinks other than an occasional ginger ale if I had an upset stomach. Now, after surgery, it is the same. Once in a while I drink carbonated Water, but it takes me a couple of days to finish one bottle.

Ah, the ol' carbonated drinks debate.

My OPINION is they do not stretch the sleeve. Watch Dr Matthew Weiner's YouTube video on bariatric surgery myths. I think the biggest problem with them is just how they are tolerated in general. Carbonation can hurt!

I drink a Coke Zero occasionally at 14 months out just as a treat. The carbonation used to bother me, not so much anymore. I will nurse a can all day long.

Thank you all for taking the time to share your thoughts on this subject. I know that drinking so much diet soda is not healthy for me and I would rather have a healthy life free from the clutches of bad foods than keep drinking diet drinks... I just hope that my body can tolerate some carbonation so I can keep drinking my Sodastream concoctions...

I have tried it just a few sips here and there never a whole bottle or can. I normally let it sit in ice for a bit before drinking. If not then I burp a lot but no real discomfort.

Yeah my surgeon said never again... and I'm alright with that. While my love for Pepsi was tremendous, my love for myself and the reason's I had the surgery to begin with are far more important to me... So I can go without soda.

I was at least a 18pack a day of dr. Pepper and u can tell you this after my surgery I have yet to crave it or want it at all I'm 4 weeks post op and Water is my best friend

WOW 18 pack a day and no cravings since surgery? That's fantastic news and congratulations! There is hope :)

My surgeon told me no fizzy drinks for 6 months after the surgery. I am totally fine with not drinking sugary sodas at all but before the surgery I was a fiend for Perrier or S.Pellegrino which are both just carbonated Water. I am going to wait out the 6 months and give the carbonated water a go but not if its going to stretch out my sleeve. I plan to ask my surgeon closer to that time.