Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weighing Benefits vs Risks

I'm at the very beginning of my journey. I have taken the class and am waiting for my first consult. In the mean time I'm reading, reading, reading. I am approximately 100 lbs. overweight. I'm relatively healthy, but am pre diabetic. So my question is how do you sanely weigh the risks versus the benefits? I read great things, but then there are those few stories where people get sick, have leaks, etc. I realize that there are risks, so how do I balance those fears against the rewards?

That's a very fair question to ask, but risk tolerance is very personal.

I am 3 months post surgery today (yeah!!!!) and I can tell you that I have absolutely no regrets whatsoever. Prior to surgery, I was having serious problems with basic mobility. Getting up from a chair was a hassle, and I dreaded having to pick up whatever I dropped. My back hurt all the time and my knees made walking uncomfortable. My weight had yo-yo'd for decades,and the last few years only went up. I used a CPAP every night and had high blood pressure.

Three months later, and my blood pressure is normal. I no longer need the CPAP, I am exercising every day and i feel more alive and energetic than I did in my 20's! Have there been tough times, yes, but the way I feel is worth the effort. I had surgery because I felt my body was winding down and I needed to take control. This is serious surgery and you have to be prepared to put in the work; to fundamentally change how you deal with food and with exercise.

I advise anyone thinking about this surgery to carefully weigh whether or not they are willing to make the necessary adjustments in the way they eat and work as hard as needed to make this work.

Good luck in your decision!

i have to echo fern. i am only 20 days out but i don't regret it one bit. i've had some tough days with acid reflux or gas but it's nothing to the benefits. i think the risks are like .04% but like fern says it's personal to everyone. i was like you. 92lbs overweight with no health problems but pre-diabetic.

i've lost 20lbs in 3 weeks and i'm excited to see what the future holds. :)

i'm having an enchirito for lunch (from taco bell) and even tho i can only have like five bites of it then i'm full they are delicious bites and i don't feel deprived at all. :)

good luck whatever your decision.

Edited by pr_pitbullgrl

I'm RNY, three months out and zero regrets. Complication free, easy recovery. And I feel like I've gotten my life back. I can't imagine how much better it's going to get, but I know it will.

I was also pre diabetic - no more. I wasn't on meds to control blood pressure, etc., but all my vitals were creeping up. Now they're perfect. I have a ton more energy. The pain in my joints is so much better... and well, I just feel more in control.

I love it! Would do it again in a second!

Know you and know your body. It's not just risks of having complications with surgery, it's risks of what your life will be without it. Pre diabetes means being on the cusp of diabetes. Are you ready to face life as a diabetic with all the meds and health complications that come with it?

I did my homework and walked into surgery calmly and confidently. I had the easiest surgical and post op experience. I am not alone. However a post about walking in recovery, no issues with gas, vomiting, nausea, being able to eat everything and no Constipation doesn't gain as much traction as a post about the awful hospital experience.

I have not had surgery yet but will Nov. 17. I was thinking about doing it anyway, but then was diagnosed as Type 2 diabetic. Well that was it for me. I also have high blood pressure. My mom and grandmother have very high blood pressure are are diabetic. Both took insulin. I, too, was pre-diabetic for quite some time. I decided I was not going to fight my weight the rest of my life. I was always an athlete, until about age 35, and did not have weight issues. After that, I gained and gained as the years went by. I am now 50. My knees are fried; I have had 3 knee surgeries and get shots in them. I know losing weight will help tremendously. They are very arthritic. Dont get me wrong, I am not doing it only for health reasons; I want to look good too. But my health has a LOT to do with it. I guess I am not a spring chicken anymore hahaha. When I have grandkids, I want to be mobile and be able to run around and chase them. I started at 224 lbs about 3 months ago and am down to 216. Tuesday I start my 2 week pre op diet, then it is surgery time.

For me, it was a no brainer. The only thing that worries me a little is that the surgery is not reversible (Sleeve) and if I am nauseated or throwing up all the time it will suck. That is the ONLY thing that concerns me. Surgery itself does not worry me a bit. I have read story after story on here how well people do afterwards. So many people do not ever get sick or feel bad and I have the mind set that I wont either!! I just wont have it! hahaha

I would take a look at your insurance details, too. See what the requirements are for them to pay for bariatric surgery. That may help your decision too. Good luck!!!!!

Thank you all! I'm not going to lie here and say that the first and foremost reason I am doing this is for my health, but dammit I want to look good too! Haha. But I feel like at 39 it's now or never. I have looked into my insurance and I'm covered there. I have the support of my husband - now it's information gatherings and decision time. I know that my health is not going to hold out forever if I continue on the route I'm taking now so I appreciate what you all had to say.

Well, I have to say......when I turned 45 things started heading downhill hahahaha

I agree. I was always an "active fat". When I turned 40 things changed. It became more of a challenge to do the things I liked. I didn't let it stop me but it definitely slowed me down.