Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Protein bars.... How many in a day?

How many Protein Bars can we have in 1 day when we are 3 months post op? I am trying to up my cals & Protein. I am not getting enough cals or protein in. ????????

While it would be best to get your Protein and nutrients in by eating regular food, I would guess 1 Protein Bar a day max? This is just a guess. Is there a reason you can't get your calories in by eating regular food? Could you mix unflavored Protein into yogurt or cocoa? Maybe eat some full fat cheese for extra calories?

My nutritionist wanted me down to one bar/shake a day and the rest of my Protein through real food, but it hasn't happened. I usually eat at least two protein bars a day, sometimes three. While the processed nature of protein bars probably isn't great for me, my weight loss and maintenance has been fine, so it's at least not adversely effecting my weight. I've been in maintenance for two months now.

@@JamieLogical What kind of bars do you usually eat? Do you happen to know the carb/protein stats? I'm always on the lookout for good Protein bar alternatives.

I've eaten pure Protein, Premier Protein, and Quest sometimes.

Protein bars have a warning saying that eating too much will have a laxative effect because of the sugar alcohols they use. If you are having the monster 30g protein bars, no more than 1 a day. If you are having the 10g ones, 3 max.

@@JamieLogical What kind of bars do you usually eat? Do you happen to know the carb/protein stats? I'm always on the lookout for good Protein bar alternatives.

I've eaten pure Protein, Premier Protein, and Quest sometimes.

I was eating Quest Bars until they recently changed from isomalto-oligosaccharide to soluble corn Fiber in their chocolate chip cookie dough bars. The soluble corn Fiber gave me TERRIBLE flatulence. It was not good.

I have since switched to Combat Crunch, which still use isomalto-oligosaccharide. They have 210 calories, 20g protein, 7g fat, and 12g net carbs (25g carbs, 12g fiber, 5g sugar, 1g sugar alchohol).

More net carbs than I was getting with the Quest Bars, but I haven't been tracking carbs anyway. I found that getting all my protein didn't leave much room for carbs, so I've kept my carbs pretty low just by default.

I am taking Quest bars & I also picked up a B Up bar? Have not had that yet. I just find that the Protein Shake can fill me for more than half the day but a Protein Bar not as long.

I am taking Quest bars & I also picked up a B Up bar? Have not had that yet. I just find that the Protein shake can fill me for more than half the day but a Protein bar not as long.

I have the exact opposite problem. For me, Protein drinks go down super easy and quick (like any drink) and don't keep me full-feeling at all. Actually EATING a bar and having it sit in my stomach for a while makes me feel full much longer.

I am taking Quest bars & I also picked up a B Up bar? Have not had that yet. I just find that the Protein shake can fill me for more than half the day but a Protein bar not as long.

I have the exact opposite problem. For me, protein drinks go down super easy and quick (like any drink) and don't keep me full-feeling at all. Actually EATING a bar and having it sit in my stomach for a while makes me feel full much longer.

I make my shakes with ice too so that also helps to fill me that's why. But even when I just drink them with 6 oz of skim milk & 1 scoop of powder, I am stuffed for half the day. Its crazy.

I try to reserve Protein bars for when I am going to be gone all day or for a weekend and don't know where or what I'll be eating. Just so that I have something in my bag in case the only thing around is Jimbo's Fried Stuff on a Stick Restaurant. ;)