Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Unfortunately, my surgeon referral (hence scheduling initial consult with the surgeon) got delayed two weeks because my PCP got sick the day I was supposed to see her.

And due to other commitments, I can't schedule surgery until January at the earliest anyhow.

After doing a lot of reading and research, I've decided what I can and need to work on while I wait is being accountable to myself for my choices - all of them. I've got a history of avoiding weighing myself the morning after I've overeaten, and likewise skipping tracking food choices I'm less than proud of.

That won't help me be successful with surgery.

What I know is, the folks who are successful in the long run are the ones who stay accountable to themselves, are consistent in their choices, and stick with their plan. I have the time to do some inside work on examining my food choices. My goal is not to lose or gain weight, but to take a long honest look and find the stones in the road ahead.

Putting this out there in public is one step in my accountability. My plan is to keep up with the daily weights, using my online tracker (I use Sparkpeople) every day, including the daily notes.

Anybody want to join me? Or just keep me accountable?

These are so great goals. I always had a difficult time tracking food. Before surgery I was following weight watchers online so it helped me to develop a good habit of tracking everything I put in my mouth. Post-op, I use MyFitnessPal.

As to weighing myself, I choose to weigh no more than once a week or less often. Early after surgery I only weighed at my doctors appointment. If your mood, emotions, and self-esteem are dictated by the numbers in the scale, you need to think about how useful daily weighing really is for you.

My pre-op goals were:

To ween myself off of caffeine and carbonation.

To increase my Water consumption to at least 64 oz of Water.< /p>

And

To exercise at least 60 minutes a day.

Any time is a great time to learn about yourself and your relationship with food. Reading, journaling, therapy, and support groups (like a bariatric support group, group therapy, and/or a twelve step group like OA) are all great resources for self-examination and growth.

This site is also an invaluable resource.

Thank you for sharing your intentions. Being honest with yourself and with other's is a big step helping you to be successful.

What a great post. Half the battle is being accountable to yourself.

I have been using my fitness pal religiously for the last year. I track absolutely everything that goes in my mouth both good and bad. I don't think I will ever stop doing that now because it makes me realize my choices. I believe it honestly helps me to make much better choices in the end.

I still weigh daily however I have a talk with myself every morning before I step on that scale. It sort of goes something like this

"You know, you likely did not lose any weight since yesterday so don't let this number side track you, don't let it ruin your day" then if I have lost, I am ecstatic, if I have not or if I have gained I usually know it is a simple fluctuation and I usually give my scale the bird and go on my merry way. LOL but I do not allow it to ruin my day.

I will say if I have not lost anything everyday for a week or so, I know I am in a stall and will simply stay off of it for a week. Then the next time I step on I am usually ok.

I have learned to simply embrace those stalls and stay the course because sooner or later they break.

I believe my recent weight loss success has a lot to do with accountability.

I was in a three month health education class (required for surgery).

I had to track my food and weigh in every week.

Then the surgeon said I could not gain any weight before the surgery.

All of that accountability made me true to myself.

Now, I have a watch that tracks my steps and I continue to use MyFitnessPal to track my foods (mostly track my protein).

It is a must for me.

Here I keep up with other sleevers who had surgery at the same time as me so we can compare food choices, get ideas and share experiences.

Good luck and join a group of sleevers who will be going through the process with you.

Delays suck - but great for you to make the best of it! I also believe holding yourself accountable teaches you to make better choices.

My surgery was rescheduled from 9/24 to 11/9 because I was riddled with ulcers. I was already a week into my liquid diet. So instead of going back to my pre-liquid eating habits, I keep to 2 Protein shakes a day and one meal. I didn't want to put on more weight that I would just have to lose again just because my date was delayed. Such a psychological process.

I have to start tracking calories/nutritional intake. And I'm getting a FitBit next week. I can honestly say that food doesn't really taste good to me. Not sure if it's due to my erosive gastritis or because I'm not eating sweets. I'm allergic to raw fruits & vegetables - which puts another kink into the equation.

I've stopped soda - it's been 5 weeks. I drank 1-2 20oz bottles of Pepsi or Cream soda daily. I don't really miss it - maybe twice in 5 weeks. But I think that's because I just didn't feel like Water.

And we own a cake company. I make it a point to NEVER sample the frostings/cakes. That's what my husband is in charge of. I have plenty of small containers - 2oz ones that will soon be everywhere, I'm sure.

I'm afraid of becoming a slave to the scale. I was an athlete into college. Though fat, I'm still muscular. My head wants the numbers to go down really low. But I know that I have a lot of muscle mass that may keep them higher than I want - but I know the inches gone will mean more. I told my husband that we'll need to put the scale in a locked closet and only weigh once a week. We'll see how that goes. Currently, I weigh every day. I should put it away now, huh?

@@Mom26, I think you will love your FitBit. I love mine. Do you have an body fat monitor scale? That might meet your needs better than one that measures pounds only. For now, I need to weigh daily because it's too easy for me to tell myself stories about what I have or haven't eaten, and the scale is one of my reality checks. It's trends I pay attention to, once I'm postop I may well ask my husband to hide it somewhere for the first three months or so.

@@2goldengirl

I've got nothing to add but what a great post! You've got the attitude that will help make you successful. No whining and moaning, just taking matters into your own hands and getting er done!

I'm excited to see the great things you will achieve with your upcoming surgery!

Once you make the sincere decision to lose weight and get healthy....everything will fall in line.

Using myfitnesspal.com is a cheap and easy way to track your calories, weight and exercise. I stress that it's free....and super easy to use.

Nothing will motivate you like success will. That being said...go ahead and lose weight now. There are simple diets to follow and you will be acclimating yourself to the way of eating you'll be doing for the rest of your life when you are post-op.

The simple diet consists of chicken, fish, meats, Greek yogurts, fresh vegetables, some whole grains and some cheeses and maybe nuts on occasion.

Measure your food so you can input accurate amounts into the myfitnesspal tracker. Keeping the carb count down and eating at a calorie deficit (versus your bmr ) will absolutely lead to weight loss. Throw in some frequent walking and you are going to add to effect.

Getting your mind wrapped around the needed changes and getting used to following a plan now will really help you later on.

You are going to do great.

Boy, there are some dedicated people (even this early) posting on this thread. That's so impressive.

I agree -- you guys are going to rock your WLS tools.

I'm sure I speak for many others just starting this journey -- the veterans, the success stories, the honesty about the struggles and the support to help everyone succeed is what keeps us motivated. So thank you. I'm excited for the day when I can be an inspiration to someone just starting out.

@@Mom26, I think you will love your FitBit. I love mine. Do you have an body fat monitor scale? That might meet your needs better than one that measures pounds only. For now, I need to weigh daily because it's too easy for me to tell myself stories about what I have or haven't eaten, and the scale is one of my reality checks. It's trends I pay attention to, once I'm postop I may well ask my husband to hide it somewhere for the first three months or so.

I don't. I'll pick one up though. I weigh daily now for the same reasons you do - to be my reality check. My fear is that I'll obsess over the numbers too much post-surgery.