Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The universe is against me

I have been so angry lately it feels like everyone is just so annoying. or just plain stupid. Just a little history: There is a lot on my plate. My mother passed away in February. My husband was in a coma for a while and he got out of it and seemed to be doing fine before I decided to have surgery. But the last few weeks something changed and he started experience major mood swings and having difficulty breathing or having any energy at all. So I have been doing everything again around the house, working, and managing his doctor appointments. Which normally I don't mind i would rather do everything because I'm a control freak and want to make sure it gets done. But I have been getting so irritated with lil things and everything. The other day I came home, and thank God my husband was at a doctor appointment, i just flipped out and started throwing things in my house. I was losing it! and I couldn't stop. I was just so mad that he left the sugar bowl on the counter that I have asked him several times to put away when he is done.. But it just flipped me out. When he got home i asked him for a smoke and he wouldn't give me one. and when he asked why and I told him he got mad at me. I don't like to make him mad because of all the has been threw so i have in and apologized. but now i am at WORK and would like to have a new job. I cant stand it.. when I used to love my JOB.. something is wrong and I just dont understand. I was told you can experience irritability but this is just crazy~!

sleeved on 09/17/15.

im not sure what you are eating but one thing i noticed was no sugar, low sodium, no carbs and no caffeine - like in the first 2 weeks post op - i had NO mood swings at all like i used to. food rage is a real thing. look into it. good luck

It is the weight loss and hormone release from the fat burning off. The first month I had serious mood swings. Luckily I live alone and I don't have to work with anyone so I had less things to set me off. 6 weeks out seemed to really be a turning point with me, everything was better.

We have the same surgeon :)

I had some mood swings around a week post op but mine were sadness and depression, not fits of rage. I think everyone is affected in different ways by their hormones after surgery. One thing that really helped me has been talking to a therapist. I've only seen him twice since my surgery but it has already helped tremendously.

Given the uniqueness of the situation, I can't say for sure what will work for you. My best advice is to not beat yourself up about it. Try to be nice to yourself and your body first (by talking to someone, getting the proper nutrients, getting enough sleep, etc.) then hopefully the rest will fall into place.

You HAVE got a lot on your plate, and a lot of change to adjust to. And the changes with the loss of your mom and your husband's health are changes that have been thrust upon you, and completely out of your control.

If you are not already getting some counseling, I'd really suggest it would be a great investment in your health.

Edited by 2goldengirl

Nope, you're not alone in this. Hormones are getting dumped into your system. Case in point:

http://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/343777-guys-room-is-everyone-else-overly-emotional-or-am-i-just-an-ae/

Any of that sound familiar?

You've clearly been through the wringer.

What a tough year....now everything is falling on your shoulders......AND you are recovering from surgery.

All you can do is your best.

Maybe there is a way you can blow off some steam every day.....every day. An hour of your own to go power walk around the block. An hour of vigorous walking can be a pressure relief valve and maybe help with the frustration.

I'm very sorry and wish you the best.

It is the weight loss and hormone release from the fat burning off. The first month I had serious mood swings. Luckily I live alone and I don't have to work with anyone so I had less things to set me off. 6 weeks out seemed to really be a turning point with me, everything was better.

We have the same surgeon :)

hi! When did u have u get sleeved

Thank you all for your responses! I just had my 1 month check up and the doctor agreed. Mood swings are normal after having a major surgery. She recommended me talking to my primary doctor to see if I could take depression meds. I have taken anxiety meds before and still have some. She said it would be ok to start taking them when I get CRAZY! However I can't stand taking meds, so I asked the doctor about marij and she said definitely not in the first 12 weeks

It sounds like what you really need is some support. You've gone through a lot recently, not including the surgery. My suggestion would be to see a therapist. Primary care physicians are generally not very well educated in psychopharmacological interventions, whereas a psychologist generally is (though not as much as a psychiatrist). They would be able to provide you with therapy, as well as help you to think about whether meds would be in your best interest and which would be best suited to your symptoms.

Edited by Rena H