Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have seen some people mention that they are taking anti-anxiety medications and or benzodiazepines. When they go to their psych evaluation, The psychiatrist has either not mention the medicine, or has ask the patient to get further counseling. Is there anyone here who is or has been on anti-anxiety medications, and how did the psych evaluation go for you?

My psych eval was completely painless. I am on anti-anxiety meds and was seeing a therapist before I started the wls journey. Mostly she just wanted to talk about what I see as my strengths and weaknesses going into the process, and how I plan to deal with my struggles and the emotional ups and downs that will inevitably come post-op.

Just be honest. The eval is not there to be a roadblock, it's there to make sure you're mentally healthy enough for this journey.

I am on an SSRI. During my psych evaluation she did ask but it was a standard question.

Like ange117 said, this isn't meant to be a roadblock. They are only ensuring you are mentally ready for this type of change. If they believe based on your replies that you aren't they will offer counseling to get you ready. Nothing more nothing less.

Last week I was a wreck because I am in the last few weeks (surgery is scheduled for 11/16) because my nutritional class is Oct 27th. Well that is my time of the month and I tend to gain about 4 lbs during that. I was in a fret trying to figure out if they will weigh me then and if I am up those 4 lbs if they'd delay my surgery. After asking everyone and posting on here I was so anxious I just bit the bullet and called. They said no they won't weigh me and I was so relieved. Now I'm just finding ways to pass the time. Just be honest in your evaluation. Just because you take a medication doesn't mean you aren't prepared. It just means you knew something was up and sought help. And that form of help is a medication to help balance some chemicals. No big deal. Hang in there.

Edited by HopeandAgony

Last week I was a wreck because I am in the last few weeks (surgery is scheduled for 11/16) because my nutritional class is Oct 27th. Well that is my time of the month and I tend to gain about 4 lbs during that. I was a fret trying to figure out if they will weigh me then and if I am up those 4 lbs if they'd delay my surgery. After asking everyone and posting on here I was so anxious I just bit the bullet and called. They said no they won't weigh me and I was so relieved. Now I'm just finding ways to pass the time. Just be honest in your evaluation. Just because you take a medication doesn't mean you aren't prepared. It just means you knew something was up and sought help. And that form of help is a medication to help balance some chemicals. No big deal. Hang in there.

thank you!! I'm not ashamed that I need to take a med to help balance me. I've been through some crap and suffer from PTSD. But I am better now and am currently weening off the med. I'm so ready for my new chapter to start! Well it has started but I mean for the surgery to happen!

My evaluator said that it was actually very uncommon for a bariatric patient not to be on anything for depression (took a little offense at that and wondered how true it was), so he just glossed over the stuff I listed as actively taking.

My evaluator said that it was actually very uncommon for a bariatric patient not to be on anything for depression (took a little offense at that and wondered how true it was), so he just glossed over the stuff I listed as actively taking.

This really makes me feel some kinda way. There are several people who are overweight and content with life. Additionally, not all medications in the psych class are for depression. My SSRI is for OCD. OCD is a chemical imbalance, and in no way shape or form am I depressed. The stigma around mental health has GOT TO STOP. How shameful that someone in the medical field would make such an asinine statement.

Edited by HopeandAgony

I work in the medical field and there are millions of people on anxiety and/or depression medications, I also take effector, I think anyone who is unhappy with their life, whether it be their weight or something else may take medication to cope, I bet that's what the evaluator meant.

I have a prescription for Xaynex and I told the shrink at my psych evaluation. I told her how often I take them and why, she said its fine. I am sure your Drs know your medical history and if the even suspected a problem with the anxiety meds you wouldn't have gotten recommended for surgery. Don't stress... Kinda odd to say in a topic about anxiety!

What on earth? Where do they find these unprofessional dolts?