Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Very New - Very Lost

Hello everyone! I am new to all this. I have done nutrition, psych eval and met with my surgeon today. I have to wait til everything gets approved before they set a date for me.

I read the pre-surgery topic on what to expect and frequent questions asked with answers. The nutritionist went over the amount of Protein and Vitamins and wrote everything down, but there is all so much to take in. I would just like some help understanding the process of what to do and take after the surgery. In not doctors terms.

I appreciate all the help and supoort I can get. I am not telling family about this procedure, so I am kinda alone here.

Thanks!

Terra

Welcome, I do think you will get a host of information about our Protein fetishes, answers to your worst fears on hair loss and loose skin, you will learn about NSV (non-scale victories). I suggest you look into getting this book: http://www.amazon.com/Emotional-First-Aid-Kit-Practical/dp/0976852659/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1436729032&sr=8-13&keywords=bariatric+book

And start here: http://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/195065-you-know-you-lost-weight-when/ I always look there to get encouraged and refocused on what I am trying to do.

Welcome again.

It varies from Dr. to Dr. but I will tell you the rundown as it was presented to me.

Before surgery, I looked into a lot of different Protein options. Different shakes and drinks, stocked up on sugar free Jello and sugar free popsicles. I found out before being released form the hospital, from my surgeon, not to worry about Protein Shakes or drinks for the first week or so. He kept me on phase 1 for almost 2 weeks. Then phase 2, then 3, then 4 eventually around week 5.

My sister in law works on a bariatric floor in a different hospital than I was at and they give their patients Protein on day one. So it all depends. Whatever they say, try to follow that closely. It will only hep make it easier.

I have tried a tone of different protein options. feel free to message me if you want info.

Thank you so much for your responses. I will continue to read and do research.

Welcome! I noticed you're from California. What part of the State? I'm in Los Angeles and 17 months post surgery. I would be happy to answer any specified questions you may have. I totally understand it's a lot of information to take in! Feel free to ask away!!

You've come to the right place.

They're a very supportive lot around here.

I'm not...

I'm all about me.

But for the most part, everyone here is more than happy to share information/opinions/advice.

So don't be afraid to ask or vent...

Just relaaaax...

Thank you stacyg1! My main concerns are making sure I do the post surgery right. The foods, liquids, Vitamins, etc....

Also, I am in the L.A. area too.

Edited by Terra B

A lot of programs provide their patients with binders or handbooks that detail all this info. If the program you choose does not, you can make your own with a binder from the dollar store. You can separate it by Vitamins, Protein supplements, and food/diet/recipes. Google online for bariatric handbooks to give you an idea. Mine was my bible for those first few months.

It would be easier for us to help or ease your mind if you have specific questions. Again, I'd be happy to share what I know. Where are you having your surgery?

I have not yet been approved for surgery through insurance, but if I do, I will be having Dr. Jeremy Korman from Marina Del Ray. I am sure they will give me a packet when I have been approved for the procedure. He also told me they do have support groups and classes. I just like to do my homework and have all my information understood and ready to go.

Here are some questions that I have probably heard the answers to but have forgotten them in the turmoile of all of this.

Viatmins? I know we need certain supplements after surgery - how much of what?

food? I know we should never eat sugar again, so most of you eat whole now?

Protein shakes? Is this what makes up most of your nutrients? Should they be sugar free?

How many people have failed even with surgery? I know this is touchy, but it is reality.

Thanks

Welcome, I do think you will get a host of information about our Protein fetishes, answers to your worst fears on hair loss and loose skin, you will learn about NSV (non-scale victories). I suggest you look into getting this book: http://www.amazon.com/Emotional-First-Aid-Kit-Practical/dp/0976852659/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1436729032&sr=8-13&keywords=bariatric+book

And start here: http://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/195065-you-know-you-lost-weight-when/ I always look there to get encouraged and refocused on what I am trying to do.

Welcome again.

Thank you for defining NSV...lol. You should see the combination of words I have strung together in an attempt to decipher what those acronyms meant. Haha

Edited by HopeandAgony

Its very good to be prepared. I read so much before Surgery that I think I forgot at least half of it and still learned so much.

Vitamins: 1 Multi Vitamin, twice a day, chewable at first, starting on Day 1 Post OP (I take one at 7:00am and the other at 7:00pm) B Complex, Chewable wafers or gummies, starting Day 1 Post OP and Vitamin D3, 2000iu Once a day, starting Day 1 Post OP. Calcium Citrate, 500mg or more per chewable, 3 times per day. My Surgeon told me to wait till week 4 Post OP for these.

I use:

Kroger Brand Childrens Complete Multi Vitman Chewable (Do not use Gummies, they are not a complete multi)

Cheapest 2000IU D3 I can find, Natures Bounty I think, Cannot remember

B Complex Gummies: http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/p/nutrition-now-b-complex-gummy-70-gummies/nn-3014#.Viksjek6NUM

Cal Citrate: Bariatric Advantage Chews 500mg, Orange. http://www.bariatricfoodsource.com/Bariatric_Advantage_Calcium_Chews_500mg_p/ba-cal-chewy-500.htm

Food: As for the Sugar part, I was told by my surgeon that there is no excuse for drinking any beverages with sugar in them ever again. He just doesn't want me to drink sugar. As for Sugar in foods, naturally occurring carbs and sugars, like in fruit, veggies and other whole, non processed foods, are ok. It took me almost 3 weeks to realize this and I was purposely trying to keep my carbs down. My Nutritionist said I should be getting 80g of carbs per day and I was trying to stay below 20. Now that I can have foods again, and next week, bread and grains, I will be eating whole for sure. Just watch your added sugar or refined/processed sugars/carbs.

Protein Shakes: These will make up the majority of your Protein for the first month or so. I am 2 months out and get a lot of protein from food, but still take Protein shakes or drinks or bars occasionally. Most of the reputable shake makers have 5g or less of sugars. Speaking of that, that is one thing my NUT told me also. Anything above 5g of sugar per serving, look to see where the sugar is coming from. If its because it has fruit in it and no added sugar, that is ok, but if sugar is a listed ingredient and it has more that 5g of sugar per serving, try to find something else instead. The Premiere Protein at costco or Vitamin Shoppe has less that 5g, most of the good whey Protein powders do.

You are asking the right questions!

Edited by dlappjr

I have not yet been approved for surgery through insurance, but if I do, I will be having Dr. Jeremy Korman from Marina Del Ray. I am sure they will give me a packet when I have been approved for the procedure. He also told me they do have support groups and classes. I just like to do my homework and have all my information understood and ready to go.

Here are some questions that I have probably heard the answers to but have forgotten them in the turmoile of all of this.

Protein shakes? Is this what makes up most of your nutrients? Should they be sugar free?

How many people have failed even with surgery? I know this is touchy, but it is reality.

Thanks

Your surgeon or NUT will be able to give you exact amounts for you. But to give you an idea, I take 2 Multivitamins a day, 1500 mg or Calcium, and B-12 daily. I take supplemental Iron 3 times a week. I was taking supplemental D but at my last check my levels were high so I was told to stop taking it.

I eat a Protein forward diet. However I do eat dairy, vegetables, fruits and grains like quinoa. I stay away from highly processed foods for the most part and have kept away from bread, rice and Pasta. Sugar is not an everyday part of my diet (except for naturally occurring sugars from fruit and dairy), but in the 17 months since my surgery I have indulged in some processed sugar. It is not a "never again" thing for me.

Most of my nutrients come from food. Lean meats, fish, dairy, veggies, nuts, quinoa, etc. at the beginning you will be reliant on Protein Shakes for your protein as you likely won't be able to eat enough food. I now very rarely rely on a shake and use them mostly when I'm training for a race as a quick way to replenish and give me a needed nutritional boost

As for how many people have failed, I can't answer that. I consider myself a success. I've lost 130 lbs and am 2 lbs away from losing 100% of my excess weight. While I'd love to get there and maybe a few pounds below to give me some wiggle room, I'd be happy if I never lost another pound. I wear a size 4 petite and can walk into any store and buy clothes that look good and make me feel good. I've run 5ks, 10ks and a half marathon and have another half marathon next month. I have control over food rather than food having control over me. I eat high quality food that I enjoy and don't feel deprived. Most importantly, I'm living my life rather than letting my life pass me by.

Good luck!! If you have more questions, feel free to ask away!

Thanks

Your surgeon or NUT will be able to give you exact amounts for you. But to give you an idea, I take 2 Multivitamins a day, 1500 mg or Calcium, and B-12 daily. I take supplemental Iron 3 times a week. I was taking supplemental D but at my last check my levels were high so I was told to stop taking it.

I eat a Protein forward diet. However I do eat dairy, vegetables, fruits and grains like quinoa. I stay away from highly processed foods for the most part and have kept away from bread, rice and Pasta. Sugar is not an everyday part of my diet (except for naturally occurring sugars from fruit and dairy), but in the 17 months since my surgery I have indulged in some processed sugar. It is not a "never again" thing for me.

Most of my nutrients come from food. Lean meats, fish, dairy, veggies, nuts, quinoa, etc. at the beginning you will be reliant on Protein Shakes for your protein as you likely won't be able to eat enough food. I now very rarely rely on a shake and use them mostly when I'm training for a race as a quick way to replenish and give me a needed nutritional boost

As for how many people have failed, I can't answer that. I consider myself a success. I've lost 130 lbs and am 2 lbs away from losing 100% of my excess weight. While I'd love to get there and maybe a few pounds below to give me some wiggle room, I'd be happy if I never lost another pound. I wear a size 4 petite and can walk into any store and buy clothes that look good and make me feel good. I've run 5ks, 10ks and a half marathon and have another half marathon next month. I have control over food rather than food having control over me. I eat high quality food that I enjoy and don't feel deprived. Most importantly, I'm living my life rather than letting my life pass me by.

Good luck!! If you have more questions, feel free to ask away!

OMGosh! You have done awesome! Congrats to you! Thank you for the info! It's nice to hear success stories in hopes that I too can do it.

Do you have lose skin problems?

Thanks. It took work and discipline, but I'm proud of what I've accomplished. As far as loose skin . . . I have some on my belly and a little bit on my thighs and upper arms. I workout a lot and have built muscle back. For the most part I'm pretty toned. I would definitely consider plastics to tighten up my belly and remove the skin from there but don't know that it's necessary for my thighs. My arms were pretty batwingy, but they continue to tighten up with exercise.