Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am 3 months out from surgery. trying to get an idea of how many carbs you guys eat? do you count carbs, or just stay away mostly?

I count Water, Protein, carbs, sugar and fat. I tend to have more carbs at the weekends. 20 or less weekdays, 50 or less at the weekends.

I try to stay within 20 carbs a day since I started off with a lower BMI. For me, it helps the weight come off quicker.

I never worried about carb (or fat) counts, as they tend to be a distraction from developing/maintaining healthy eating habits. With our low calorie and high Protein requirements to successfully work our sleeves, it's hard to have too much of either. Better to work on eating real food as much as possible - the closer to what comes out of the ground (or what eats what comes out of the ground,) the better, rather than what comes out of a box. There are so many accounting tricks that can be used, particularly in packaged foods, that carb counts are nearly meaningless. Quality definitely trumps quantity.

I never worried about carb (or fat) counts, as they tend to be a distraction from developing/maintaining healthy eating habits. With our low calorie and high Protein requirements to successfully work our sleeves, it's hard to have too much of either. Better to work on eating real food as much as possible - the closer to what comes out of the ground (or what eats what comes out of the ground,) the better, rather than what comes out of a box.

Simple, but great nutritional advice. I know I feel healthier when I eat less processed foods.

Hmmm, "the closer to what comes out of the ground..." I wonder if I that would apply if I buried a package of "Twinkies" and dug it up afterwards? :)

I was just advised by the Doctors team that I can eat up to 80 g of carbs. I have not yet, since I do focus on Protein intake of 80g or more. Vitamins have carbs, so keeping track with MyFitnessPal worked for me the best, just keep scanning foods.

@@rickm - Quality definitely trumps quantity.

Great advice. The nice thing about the sleeve is I can go to Whole Foods buy 1/4 pound of grass feed beef/bison and make two meals of it. Yes it's expensive, but for $5 for two meals of quality meat can you complain? Really?

I don't concern myself with carbs either. I realize many do, but I look at quality over quantity. I try to make sure my carbs are complex carbs. I try to eat as cleanly as possible and with the exception of the Protein Powder and Isopure Nocarb drinks prepare as much stuff from scratch as possible. Most of my carbs are plants based.

Hmmm, "the closer to what comes out of the ground..." I wonder if I that would apply if I buried a package of "Twinkies" and dug it up afterwards? :)

It couldn't make it worse, and may improve it (added Probiotics?)

I heard a great acronym once....

Eating only things that come from this:

FOG:

Farm

Ocean

Ground

I try to eat like that 95% of the time! That doesn't mean some processed stuff doesn't cross my lips ;) And I get about 70-80 grams of carbs a day now that I'm at goal. Most come from fruits and veggies. I will have some whole grain bread once in a while, also.

I'm 4 months out, and I try to keep my carbs under 50 grams per day at this point.

@@rickm - Quality definitely trumps quantity.

Great advice. The nice thing about the sleeve is I can go to Whole Foods buy 1/4 pound of grass feed beef/bison and make two meals of it. Yes it's expensive, but for $5 for two meals of quality meat can you complain? Really?

I'm paying $ 8-.10 a pound for grass fed beef at my local grocery store. If you have a Whole Foods I know you have a Trader Joes, they have grass fed beef and bison in the frozen section. I want to say the beef is $8.99 a lb and and the Bison was 9.99 or 10.99. $5 for a 1/4 lb, just say no.

I am 3 months out from surgery. trying to get an idea of how many carbs you guys eat? do you count carbs, or just stay away mostly?

Carbs are kind of a hot button topic here, there are different camps. I am 3 months also. I do between 20-30 carbs 20 being the goal, 30 being the rare outlier (some days we want to eat more than others). I do net carbs with veggies and full carbs with processed things, like Quest bars. So if I have a Quest bar, those are my carbs for the day. I also try to stay at 20 because my Vitamins have minimal carbs.

I wasn't given any direction on macros or carbs except no bread, Pasta or rice. I have used this calculator in the past to come up with macro ratios, this is for Keto, which might not be your thing. http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/ And I know some other WLS patients that have used it. The nice thing about post WLS surgery is you can cut your calories lower than most people, and not be hungry so something like Keto basically is turbo charged. It isn't for everyone and you have to do what works for you and your lifestyle.

I tried just following the lose plan they had for me, but it wasn't enough and I was barely losing, so I change to Keto and not only am I losing better but I have also regained my mental focus.

I don't focus on carbs much either....I don't count calories either. Nut told me to eat 64 oz of lean Protein a day...I have a hard enough time getting those in. At meals, I eat about 3 oz of protein...and if there is any room left, I'll eat a little bit of non starchy veggies, maybe a tiny bit of Quinoa or brown rice...but it is really only like a tablespoon I can get in. Sometimes for Snacks I'll eat a small plum or some red/yellow/green peppers...strawberries with my yogurt, stuff like that. I have found a very low carb bread (6 net carbs per slice), but I mainly just use it to give my family. I did have a half a slice with Breakfast last week, and it had very little impact on my pouch or my WL. I have enough issues getting the 64 oz of Protein and 64 oz of Water, I don't really have much room or mental energy left to really worry about carbs, I just try to make the right choices when I do eat them. I find that the more I focus on counting calories and carbs, the more stressed out I get...so I stopped doing it. Nut told me to count protein...so that is what I'm doing. I'm down 50 pounds....as long as it keeps going down, and I keep feeling great...I'm good...so is my NUT. I've been tracking my food on the Bariastic app on my phone.