Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello all!

I too have been unhappy with my weight for awhile now. I've decided recently that I wanted to go through with the lap band surgery. That being said I still have to find a doctor that will actually listen to me, and go to battle with my insurance (as I do not have many "symptoms" of being obese yet). I'd love to get any feedback on what yall did in finding the right doctor, etc. I've been inspired by all the stories and hope to be walking through my experience with yall soon! :o

Hi McBee... Over the past couple of years, I've had two different doctors ask me if I'd ever considered Lap Band Surgery... I answered a quick "no" to each of them... but as time has passed - I'm thinking that was a little seed (two little seeds) planted back then - and they're taken root, beginning to grow.

At the time - I was not ready to talk about it, think about it... and I really didn't know what Lap Band was vs. "gastric bypass" until recently... Now I'm chomping at the bit to get it all in gear!

Like you, I don't have many symptoms... just starting to feel the aches and pains of old age (I'm 55)... I've been VERY LUCKY! I've had loved ones close to me struggle with all sorts of health issues... and I don't want to join that club!

Best wishes with your decision!

katie

mcbee2,

Where are you from? Maybe someone here (LBT.com) lives in/near your area and can help you find a doctor.:o

My advice would to be gather as much information as possible! If you know anyone whose been thru the gastric or lap band, ask them questions. Start doing local searches online thru your local hospitals, especially if you have one that you go to reguarly. (that's what I did!) Plus asking your primary care physician is always a good place to start too, they can always recommend surgeons that they have worked with before. As for your insurance company, call them see what they cover, and go from there. Most insurance companys cover certain docters and hospitals, this way you will know in advance where you can and can't go. Just don't forget to write EVERYTHING down, and to document the time and person you spoke with. Good Luck with everything!

hf2havefun,

I live in Central Texas. I live in the Killeen / Harker Heights area and work in the Temple / Belton area.

If anyone does have recommendations for a doctor, I'm all ears! My primary care physician of the last year hasn't listened to anything I've said. She recommended I try Weight Watchers (again).

I'm only 23, but I also have been diagnosed with PCOS, one of the major symptoms of which is massive weight gain at a rapid pace. I had my son almost 3 years ago and since then have packed on the weight no matter what I do. I used to be very healthy, I worked at different local gyms for years before my pregnancy and loved working out and eating healthy, but at the weight I am now it's so frustrating to try and lose anything. I just don't have the will power to do it alone, yet I refuse to let it control my life like it has been.

Sheesh, you gotta love the anonymity of the internet huh? I haven't said half this stuff to my closest friends! Thanks so much for the well wishes and advice!

Dear MCBEE,

PCOS is enough of "symptom" to get your surgery. You are subject to high sugers, and eventually heart problems. I can not see an insurance company not paying for it if you have PCOS. Good Luck!