Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banded 2 Days Ago - Hiccups?

I was banded Wednesday (2 days ago)... 1 year and 1 day since my first surgical appointment. Yippee! I had expected the worst from surgery, hospital experience and pain, so I am pleasantly surprised how much less terrible it is. Don't get me wrong, there is still a lot of pain at the largest of my 5 laparoscopic incisions, but nothing like what I'd built it up to be in my mind. Coming out of anesthesia, I was overjoyed to realized I was alive and had not selfishly orphaned my children.

I am thankful to be experiencing no nausea or problems drinking my fluids and have successfully progressed through ice pellets, chicken broth, sugar-free Jello (if you want aspartame free, buy Better Bowls from Amazon.com - it's sweetened with Splenda), V8 fusion juice, AdvantEdge Protein Shakes and Outshine sugar-free fruit popsicles. The only silly thing is I've had a few meek little hiccups throughout today. I don't see anything about this is my information binder. Are hiccups bad? Thoughts on what might be causing it? I assume sipping too fast and it's not a crisis, but was interested in the experiences of others.

Hiccups are not bad. They're variously cute, annoying, embarrassing or some degree of painful, but not "bad."

It may be that you were sipping too quickly. Let a little time elapse between sips. Small sips. That may or may not eliminate the hiccups.

You'll probably also find down the road, when you're eating real food again, that you hiccup part way through a meal. Hiccups are common signs of having eaten enough at that sitting. When you do hiccup under such circumstance, stop eating for a while and see if you're not sated. Hiccups are often referred to as a "soft signal" that it's time to stop.

Since you mention "meek" hiccoughs, here's a tip for the next several days. If you have bold hiccups or need to cough, sneeze, guffaw or some such, hold a bed pillow firmly against your middle (incision area) to brace yourself. The pillow will minimize pain at the incisions from the jolts.

You're fine.

Laurie

Edited by WLSResources/ClothingExch

Great tip on the pillow! I've also been coughing up a bunch of mucus too from sinus drainage (I know, TMI!). The pillow just made that more bearable. I think the buffet of operating room antibiotics finally cured my sinus infection too. Lap-Band bonus! :)

Yep had them too for about 5 days, and i was barely eating and very slowly sipping. Mine started of painful but slowly got less painful only annoying. Most of the recovery should be 6 days. After 3 weeks today i still get the occasional one lol.