Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have a question about weightloss surgery. Someone in my family had decided to have it done. She weighs 200 pounds (we don't believe she needs it but who are we to say that I guess) anyway she went to the surgeon for it and they didn't approve her because she's only 200 pounds but then she started crying in the office so they came back in and said ok well approve you we will just add weight onto your paper work and change a couple other things to. Is this safe? I don't think she should be going thru with this.. There's regulations put in place for reasons right? I dont know we just can't believe the doctor has done this and also can't believe she's ok with it.

Also she is now 180 something pounds now and two weeks away from her surgery now. Is this normal that people at these weights have surgery?

You don't mention her height, weight, age, co-morbs or anything else. Without those factors it's possible to determine. Theoretically speaking, anything is possible. Regardless, this is a grown woman and she's allowed to do whatever she feels is necessary with her own body.

@ - is this surgeon legit?

That would be my first question....

I have a question about weightloss surgery. Someone in my family had decided to have it done. She weighs 200 pounds (we don't believe she needs it but who are we to say that I guess) anyway she went to the surgeon for it and they didn't approve her because she's only 200 pounds but then she started crying in the office so they came back in and said ok well approve you we will just add weight onto your paper work and change a couple other things to. Is this safe? I don't think she should be going thru with this.. There's regulations put in place for reasons right? I dont know we just can't believe the doctor has done this and also can't believe she's ok with it.

It's not the surgeon who approves or denies the surgery based on qualifications, it's the insurance company. There's certain criteria that has to be met for insurance to cover the procedure but I've never heard of any surgeon changing a decision based on tears. I'm not saying your family member is in danger, but something doesn't sound right here. I bet she's leaving alot out of her story but that's just an assumption on my part.

Does not sound like an ethical program.

I wouldn't want a shady surgeon doing work inside my body.

Yeah we don't know the whole story.

And who are you to tell anyone whether they 'need' the surgery or not? Are you her doctor?

Just sayin.

There's no more danger having WLS at 180 pounds than at 250 pounds. In fact, it may be safer, since a 180 pound person has less stress on their heart and lungs. The weight requirements are dictated by insurance companies, not the surgeons. That's because insurance companies don't want to pay out for WLS when they don't feel like it will save them money in the long run. WLS on a 250+ pound person will likely save them the cost of other health issues for that person down the road. A 180 pound person has a much lower risk for future health issues, barring any other co-morbidities.

If a patient is self-pay, there are MANY MANY surgeons who would perform WLS on a lower weight person. For a lot of people, weight loss surgery is actually more about weight MAINTENANCE. If your family member has struggled with her weight in the past and has a very high chance of regaining the weight she's lost, having surgery may drastically increase her chances of keeping that weight off.

I personally had managed to lose SIGNIFICANT amounts of weight "on my own" before I had weight loss surgery. The problem was I always regained it. So it wasn't a matter of being able to lose the weight for me, it was a matter of keeping it off.

First of all I am not telling her she can't do what she wants but as her family I am comcerned for her safety. I wanted feed back not your personal opinions If you have nothing that is helpful to day please don't waste my time! You are not answering my question. She is 50 years old 5'4 and 180 pounds right now. The surgeon is legit. I just worry for her I no those regulations are put in place for a reason I don't want to see something happen to her during surgery because this doctor lied on her paper work. He added 30 pounds to her paper work and she has no health issues but he added some on there.

I no those regulations are put in place for a reason

See my above post. Those "regulations" are dictated by the insurance companies and are about saving them money, not the risk to the patient. They have nothing to do with the risk of surgery. WLS, like any other surgery, is SAFER to perform on someone closer to a healthier weight. Overweight/obese people have a higher risk when undergoing ANY surgery because they have more stress on their heart and lungs.

Thank you that's very helpful Jamie! I did not no any of that. This is why my family and I posted to here to try to get my insight on the subject. Thanks again!

Thank you that's very helpful Jamie! I did not no any of that. This is why my family and I posted to here to try to get my insight on the subject. Thanks again!

Glad to help! While weight loss surgery may be a medical necessity for some people, that's no reason it can't be an elective surgery for others. I do think it's a little shady that the doctor is fudging the numbers and I would worry a *little* bit if those fudged numbers made it to the anesthesiologist. But my suspicion is that he is fudging the numbers to file with the insurance company and those won't be the numbers that appear on her actual medical chart when she undergoes surgery.

Well that's the thing she's passed everything, she has her surgery date set for two weeks from now. Everyone has given her the thumbs up. I'm torn because my father is an investigator for the health department and I haven't told him about what the doctor did... That's what he does for a living he investigates people like that doctor.. But I don't want to over step here and ruin her date... I no she wants this I'm just scared that they fudged the papers. I dont know I won't be saying anything to my dad I guess but i dont know what to do here. If anything or maybe I should not do anything.

Sorry to seem all over the place I just am lost in these waters I've never been in before no what I mean

@ I really hope all goes well. The good news is, as far as surgeries go, WLS is one of the safest. It has a lower mortality rate than knee replacement! And if you take into consideration that the vast majority of people undergoing WLS are morbidly obese, and are by default at higher risk from ANY surgery, that should tell you how safe it is. I think the best thing you can do is be loving an supportive.