Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Long term "Success" of those who make it to goal vs. those that don't.

I've been on these forums for well over a year now. Had my surgery on Sept. 1, 2014 and reached goal right at my one year mark. Obviously, over my time on the forums I have seen many posts from people who reached goal and many posts from people who didn't. I've also seen a lot of posts from people years out from surgery who have regained some or all of the weight they lost.

My question is, does it seem that people who reach goal are ultimately more successful than those who never do in terms of how much weight they eventually regain? On the one hand, I would think that if you never reached goal, you are more likely to ultimately "give up" and let the weight pile back on. But on the other hand, people who never reach goal might be more likely to stay in that "weight loss mode" longer because they are still trying to lose weight, while someone who reaches goal might think "well, I'm done now" and fall back into old habits.

What are your own experiences and observations about whether or not reaching goal gives you an advantage in maintenance?

You've really done well.

You hit the mark in a year !!!!!

I'm very interested in the responses to the thread.

It is really hard to tell from forum post. There are as many people that hit goal or better and never come back to forums, they have a new life and never post. There are just as many people that never hit goal or even close and never post because they feel they have failed.

The people that keep posting long term regardless of results are the minority.

It is really hard to tell from forum post. There are as many people that hit goal or better and never come back to forums, they have a new life and never post. There are just as many people that never hit goal or even close and never post because they feel they have failed.

The people that keep posting long term regardless of results are the minority.

That's why I decided to ask. I know a lot of people know others in real life or from other groups and might have more insight than I can glean just from having read posts on these forums.

@@JamieLogical

I believe none of us are exempt from weight gain. I have talked to my nurse from my surgeons office. Her opinion was patients that have gained weight may feel guilt or shame and don't report back on Dr's appointments or continue support. Being isolated most will have a substantial weight gain.

I know my behaviors can slip back. Sometimes I need a reality check by the senior members. I also get inspiration from people that are currently dropping weight.

There are a couple of variables here. There are a few who set very low goals - may be just right for their body types or may be completely unrealistic to maintain - how can we tell from afar? Lets be honest, if you start out at 500# you are unlikely to get down to 115# and maintain it in a healthy way, right?

I personally believe that people that acheive "goal" are more likely to maintain in a healthy range even if they bounce up a bit from their lowest. Statistically, MOST people bounce up a little around year 2-3. AS long as it is "a little" I personally think they are still amazing successes.

I base my opinion on my previous experiences (banded) and on what the NUT told me. She felt that when people acheive a weight that is desirable to them, they are much more likely to "fight" to hang onto it. I personally believe that skin removal helped me too - I am very motivated to maintain my results. I am 51, and this is the first time in my entire life I have maintained massive weight loss for multiple years and I partially credit it to getting to a "normal" size and then the skin removal. I feel like I joined a club I don't want to be kicked out of - the club of feeling normal.

There are so many mitigating factors by individual that it is difficult to answer your question. In my own experience, and the amazing group of women I still keep in contact with that I met on this forum, there are very individualized long term results.

My experience is knowledge to recognize the better part of long term success with maintaining weight loss is how well you have internalized your needed changes in your relationship with food and eating. The psychology behind the how and why must be dealt with to maintain weight loss long term. It is much more difficult to maintain weight loss than lose the weight.

Self awareness of what and how much you eat and exercise are mandatory. If you are not monitoring your thinking and food related behaviors you risk gaining weight, because your previous unhealthy behaviors easily return.

This journey is a daily one...the surgery gives you a tool to change your eating, but does nothing to revise faulty thinking in your behaviors relating to food.

Most of us have regained a portion of weight we lost, perhaps original goals were not healthy weights. No one has "given up", but some have relaxed self discipline to a realistic level. Some continue to lose weight at their own slower pace. Some continue to work on their faulty thinking. All are still committed and thankful for their healthier lives and lifestyle. Many of the veterans chose to move on with their lives, and were aware of an ongoing resistance of newer members asking questions, not liking the veteran response, and feeling that it was not worth the time and effort to try to help others who did not really seem to want help.

I lost my band to medical complications nearly 2 years ago. I successfully kept most of my weight off, however weight comes back, in my opinion because it is quite difficult to manage on the unrealistic small portions long term. I am scheduled to have a different surgery next month to give me the tool I feel I need long term for better health.

My doctors and I do not consider myself a failure, many banded patients long term require a different surgery to help them maintain their healthy weight. I addressed my faulty thinking a few years ago and am moving forward with continuing motivation and new tools for continuing success.

Edited by 2ndSojourner