Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Newbie Starting Journey Towards Sleeve

Hi everyone!

Newbie here. I have struggled with weight loss most of my life.

I've seen my PCP, and she is on board with getting a sleeve. Went to Riverside Hospital in Columbus, Ohio to a free seminar and believe I have enough to get started.

My insurance (Cigna) requires 90 days of physician supervised weight loss program-so I've rejoined Weight Watchers for probably the 10th time and already had one doc appointment for weigh in. The hospital requires a psych evaluation and a nutritionist appt but they haven't called me. Think I'll call Monday to see what I have to do to get started.

Couple of questions for you guys who have been through this process....

1. Do you need to be approved before talking to the hospital?

2. Anyone had a sleeve at Riverside?

3. Anyone have an opinion on Riverside vs Ohio State?

First off.....congrats.

I think you'll find the path forward will be exciting. It seems to be easier to work hard on the dieting because you know you'll be having surgery at the end of your self-propelled efforts.

My insurance company was a b*tch to work with and some of their shenanigans had me ready to crack some skulls.

I could have lessened some of this foolishness, though, had I been fully in step with them from day one. Please advise them of your intentions and let them spell out your options. This could be a factor in the program location decision.

Best wishes to you.

90 days really isn't bad at all. It'll freaking fly by, I promise.

Thanks! I thought it wasn't so bad. I called to ask options and they require I talk to a nurse so I'm going to ask her some questions too.

Still in the research phase and am so happy to have found this site. It will be 2016 before I can do anything due to the 90 days restriction but I'd feel a lot better knowing I am approved and have a date. Scared to death to get this process started but I know I need to focus on myself for once and get this thing done to be healthy!

Currently 5'5, 276lbs and about to be 33. Need to act now to move the needle in the right direction and hit reset on my body!

I have had nothing but a positive experience at OSU. The bariatric staff is super supportive and helpful throughout the entire process. Surgery scheduled for Nov. 9th and I don't feel I could be any more prepared. Good Luck

If you can prove to them that you've done Weightwatchers already.....you may get credit for that so long as it was recent enough and be able to speed this up a great deal.

Hi everyone!

Newbie here. I have struggled with weight loss most of my life.

I've seen my PCP, and she is on board with getting a sleeve. Went to Riverside Hospital in Columbus, Ohio to a free seminar and believe I have enough to get started.

My insurance (Cigna) requires 90 days of physician supervised weight loss program-so I've rejoined Weight Watchers for probably the 10th time and already had one doc appointment for weigh in. The hospital requires a psych evaluation and a nutritionist appt but they haven't called me. Think I'll call Monday to see what I have to do to get started.

Couple of questions for you guys who have been through this process....

1. Do you need to be approved before talking to the hospital?

2. Anyone had a sleeve at Riverside?

3. Anyone have an opinion on Riverside vs Ohio State?

I'm having surgery on 12/31 at Riverside. Dr Rana is my surgeon.

I'm a WW repeat offender. My last 3 months with WW was recognized by my insurance carrier so I only had to do an additional 3 months of supervised weight loss program.