Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Worried about hunger/fullness

So I'm 6 days post-op (Oct 1st) and doing great. Went home around noon on Oct 2nd, felt awful the first few days home, but today and yesterday have been great. Went back to work today feeling physically normal.

My concern right now is regarding hunger and fullness. I had my first post-op appointment yesterday and was placed on a stage 2 (pureed) diet. I've read through a lot of posts on this forum, and most talk about being physically unable to eat more than a couple tablespoons for the first few weeks even months post-op. They also talk about having zero hunger/cravings. I'm at the other end of the spectrum. I'm already able to eat in one sitting a 1/2 cup serving of either pureed black Beans, greek yogurt, or hummus etc without feeling overly full. I don't know what my limiting capacity is, as I have not pushed beyond the 1/2 cup yet. I'm also finding that my hunger/cravings are returning. Yes, a lot of it could just be mental hunger, but I swear some of it is my body telling me I need to eat more.

Am i being overly paranoid? My doctor did not seem concerned that I'm able to eat 1/2 cup of food right now, but it seems like I'm abnormal compared to most on this forum.

Edited by goblue9280

I was still on liquids when I was a week out but when I started pureed foods at about a week and a half, I was right where you are. I never actually felt a fullness, and could eat my 4 oz of pureed whatever pretty easily. I had the same worries. However, I'm now 7.5 weeks out and I do feel a fullness, sometimes before I've finished my planned meal. Part of the reason you don't feel full yet is because your stomach nerves have been severely traumatized and they aren't actually working well yet, but they will. It's good that you are sticking with the meal plan, just keep doing that and your body will adjust. I was so scared that something was wrong, or that the surgeon somehow didn't shrink my stomach, or some crazy thing, but I feel a lot better about it now that I have healed a fair amount. Hope this helps. :)

@@Cervidae Helps a lot, thank you for the feedback and advice. This forum has been an incredible tool!

Weight loss is in the Weight Loss phase after surgery is due to Portion Control. In the beginning you are restricted to 1/4 cup per meal. If you want to gain the full benefits from surgery, you should try and restrict yourself to that amount. Your body will handle solid food different than liquids. I suspect once you get into the solid phase you may find overeating to be a little painful.

After surgery the most important elements are meeting your daily Protein, Vitamin and Fluid requirements. food is secondary because your body is converting stored fat into the energy that drives your body. Thus you lose weight.

You just have to give yourself and your tummy time to adjust and compensate for what it's been through. You might not feel much restriction now, but it'll happen. I know in the beginning I felt like a new fangled gadget that didn't come with an instruction book. All the research I've done and I was still taken off guard. I never had to sip Water, and still don't. Initially I was concerned when any expectation didn't meet reality, just like you.

One day soon you'll just feel like something clicked and things will start falling into place. Listen to your body and it will guide you. You'll eventually learn your definition of full based on your particular body. For me, I feel it more in my chest. I know now when to put the fork down. The same will be true of you, I'm sure.

As for the head hunger, it can be tough. But everyday I'm out from surgery it becomes a little less insistent voice in my head. Not to say I don't have my bad days, but I've yet to fall off the wagon. I've not had soda, bread, fast food, candy, or anything else that I'm not supposed to, and it's my bypass that makes it all possible. With dieting, before surgery, I was the unfortunate one who brought a knife to a gun fight. Now finally, it's a fair battle all around, and this time I'm going to win! You will too!

Best of luck to you!

Edited by The Post Op

This has been how my diet has gone the past couple days. I bought a few cans of hormel turkey chili with Beans and Goya refried black Beans. I blend each with a little Water and hot sauce into a nice smooth liquid. I then divide each can into 4 small containers... so I have 4 servings of chili and 4 of black beans. I found each makes around 1/3 of a cup (not the 1/2 cup I thought I was eating per the label.) I can eat one of those servings no problem without feeling full.

Yesterday my day went like this:

breakfast:

lunch:

• serving of pureed black beans w a small sprinkle reduced fat cheese (1 tblspoon)

dinner:

• serving of pureed turkey chili w a small sprinkle reduced fat cheese (1 tblspoon)

snack:

• half of a oikos triple zero greek yogurt
  • a tablespoon or 2 of hummus

Had no issues with any of these foods... did not feel overly full after any of it. Got in 60+ grams of Protein and 600 or so calories which is what my Dr wants. Also took my Vitamins and had no issues swallowing those, including the large BA multi-Vitamin with Iron.