Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Two days out and feeling blue

Hello all,

I'm Rain and I had my surgery done on the 10th of July (two days after my 31st birthday). So far I've had managable pain, but I am starting to be irritated by the constant pressure in my chest. I ate my first thicker liquid foods today and although I didn't feel like I overate, I suppose I did since I am tasting the Soup over and over again.

So, what do you do to get past the initial grumpiness?

Also, I'd give my left arm for a pretzel...how pathetic is that?

Rain

Hi Rain,

I was banded on the 9th of July and I'd give both arms for a cup of coffee. Still on clear liquid diet as of next Tuesday...uuugghh. When I do eat, I feel full but thinking that I'm not eating enough. I'm not sure. Can't wait to have soft foods next week...yea!!

Hang in there and keep me posted.

traci in LI, NY

The first few days are so hard, but it does get better - alot at least for me. That heavy pressure feeling went away by day 4. Since your stomach is still swollen its probably not doing well on anything too heavy. Hang in there - it will feel better..

MM

All I can say is .....DO WHAT YOUR DOCTOR HAS ORDERED..IF HE SAID ...DRINK LIQUIDS........JUST LIQUIDS.....THIS IS FOR TWO WEEKS....THEN THIS IS WHAT I WOULD DO.....DON'T EAT BEFORE YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO...IF YOU DO....YOU COULD MESS UP YOUR BAND.....YOU HAVE LOTS OF HEALING TO DO AND YOU NEED TO ALLOW THE SWELLING TO GO DOWN ON THE INSIDE....JUST HANG IN THERE AN YOU WILL BE FINE.....STAY WELL HYDRATED....SIPS...LITTLE SIPS OF Water ALL DAY.....DON'T GULP.....

I am following their plan...clear liquids for 48 hours and then thicker liquids (yogurt, cream Soups made with skim milk, etc) for two weeks. ugggh...

The chest pain/compression feeling is so overwhelming...Just tried a gas-x and a percocet...hoping it works.

Thanks for your reply!

Lorraine

The pain you're experiencing is gas. The Gas-X is not going to help because it's not in your digestive tract. It's the gas that they used to inflate your abdomen so they could place your band. It has to be absorbed by your body, and the very best way to help this along is to walk. Walk until you can't walk anymore. Pace around the house if that's all you can do...but get moving! It will also help you heal faster and you'll be feeling back to normal sooner the more you walk.

Hang in there!

Mine was done on the 10th as well, and I agree about the chest pain. Glad to hear I not the only one. I expected the shoulder, as I had that when I had my gallbladder done years ago. But not being able to breathe deep is hard. Other than that feeling great. Moving slowly but to be expected. Good luck, Rain.

As Travelgirl said, just keeping walking. I couldn't take a deep breath and it killed me when I yawned. Walking was the only thing that helped.

The chest pain may very well be related to your breathing and lung capacity being impaired by the anesthesia. Your doctor should have recommended breathing exercises for you to do, so make sure you do them. If he didn't, then at the very least here is what you do. Every 2 hours or so take 10 very deep breaths. The first may be a little hard, but they get easier with each breath. This will help immensely. Doing these exercises will help prevent pneumonia. If the pain continues, especially if you are running any kind of fever or have a peristent cough, call your doctor!!

Congratulations!!! :whoo: I'm glad to meet you and look forward to joining you in Bandland soon.

There are a lot of great people here who know exactly how you feel. Take their advice and you'll do fine. I say relax as much as possible and heal, heal, heal. {{{hugs}}}

I was banded on July 9 and I would give my foot for a cracker. I am on liquids. I am feeling better everyday but I went to the mall today and was a little weak. I could only walk around 2 big stores. (Trying to get my walking in) I can have mushies on next week and I cant wait. Funny thing is I never thought about food this much until I got banded. Anyway, this is the first that I can say that I cant wait in order to eat vegtables next week.

I do not know how many of you are moms, but have you all experienced this almost as a pregnancy that has ended and now we have a case of the "baby blues"? I swear I feel like that feeling of being a bit depressed. Is this medical, because it sure isn't hormones is it? I have been a bit weepy all day. Maybe it is symbolic of a loss and a life change. Seems reasonable to me. Hang in there Ranier. I'm with ya'

Denise

hi Rain, i had surgery the day after you (11 july) and suffered terrible tummy and shoulder pain but the lady in the bed next to me was absolutley fine! i suppose it's a very individual thing, but the gas seems very reluctant to leave my abdomen! :) and that's probably what is causing the pressure on your chest but it is early days and we must be patient (even though every day feels like a week!)

i wonder if you may have eaten your Soup too fast if you keep burping it up?

Thanks ladies,

I'm still a little blah, but I am feeling better as I am able to eat easier.

My back is still uncomfortable most of the day...but I can deal with it.

:)

Rainer