Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why am I at a stand still losing weight?

I was banded on 6/25 and lost 9 lbs total so far (17 days out). Unfortunately I weigh myself everyday and can't break myself from this bad habbit. I have been stuck at 9 lbs for the last 5 days. I am eating healthy and according to diet and trying to walk as often as possible. I see others on this site that lost 14 lbs in their first week. I realize everyone is different, but it gets very discouraging. I am eating much less...why such poor results? Does anyone else feel the same?

i Was Banded On The 29th Of June, And I Feel The Same Way. I Weighed Myself Today And I Have Only Lost A Total Of 11 Lbs. It Is A Bit Discouraging, Especially When I Am Doing Everything I Am Supposed To Be Doing. I Also Understand That I Am Still Healing, But Man I Cannot Wait For My 1st Fill. We Just Have To Stay Focused And The Weight Loss Will Come. You Should Pick Just One Day Of The Week To Weigh Yourself, As Weighing On A Daily Basis Can Get Discouraging.

Not that I have been banded yet, in the process. But I am a repetitive dieter (lose it-gain it) and since you didn't have a fill yet, you are still in the regular dieting stage with some limited eating. The first days you lose Water weight and then it will slow down. Probably after 7 days you will see a loss. The doctor that I spoke to about banding said not to expect with the band a significant drop in weight in the beginning. It is meant to be a slower process than gastric bypass but once you get filled you should see a bigger drop. My advice is to relax and get healed first. It probably took you quite a few years to put the weight on, so another few days or weeks aren't that bad. You are on the right track to a healthy life, just enjoy it. Eat right and do some light exercise and you'll be a loser. I hope I am as lucky as you to get banded. I am border line and they aren't sure if the insurance company will even approve. I am in a program designed for the insurance company to consider me, I have a BMI 36 with high cholesteral. I lose 10 lbs and gain back 3, lose it again and gain it back. I am stuck with no help with banding and if I don't get it, I really don't know what I am going to do. So don't be too frustrated - it's coming for you. Good Luck!!!:clap2:

Well, you said it yourself, that everyone is different. Some people lose faster at first, then stall later, and start again, some people lose steadily, some people don't loose anything at first and start losing later. I myself, lose some weight, and then stall for a few months, and then stall again. Don't get yourself too down, and TRY not to let the number on the scale affect your mood every day, lol. I used to do that.

This has got to be one of the most asked questions here (hey, I got an idea for a thread...). The first six weeks or so after banding are NOT for weight loss. Your body is healing, it is hanging onto every calorie it can to repair tissue, etc. It is also adjusting to having been on very low calories for a while, and now that your caloric intake is increasing, it will even out. Some people GAIN weight during this time, its OKAY. I know that it is hard to not see the scale move, but it's not a magic fix, it will take time, but it will come. Just think, you have still lost some weight and are taking steps to make a healthier you.

"I'm pulling for you, we're all in this together." - Red Green

I was banded on 6/25 and lost 9 lbs total so far (17 days out). Unfortunately I weigh myself everyday and can't break myself from this bad habbit. I have been stuck at 9 lbs for the last 5 days. I am eating healthy and according to diet and trying to walk as often as possible. I see others on this site that lost 14 lbs in their first week. I realize everyone is different, but it gets very discouraging. I am eating much less...why such poor results? Does anyone else feel the same?

Oh yes, I feel the same! I was banded a month before you and have lost a few pounds LESS than you! I guess for now we're turtles until we get the proper restriction in our bands. That's the hope I'm holding on to.... & believe me, I'm discouraged, too, but trying to keep my chin up. You do the same, too, OK? Hopefully this fall the weight will start falling off!

Cheers,

Toni

I lost 20 pounds in the first four weeks and then NOTHING after that. I didn't get my first fill until 9 weeks after the surgery, and even after that I didn't lose anything, despite eating way less than I used to. I even thought "Why bother with the surgery if I eat less and it doesn't even matter? May as well just enjoy myself..." but that is just impatience talking. Now that I am 3 months out, I just got another fill and WOW. I can tell the difference. I may even have some taken out because it is hard to eat at all. Believe me (and everyone else) - you will get the band to a point of restriction where you can actually tell it is there and it WILL make a difference.

Hey there. I know its hard, try not to get too discouraged. I lost 12 lbs in two + weeks after surgery and have only lost another 3 since then. I had my first fill on 6.1.07 and have only lost 2lbs since then. It is extremely frustrating. I've just about thrown the scale out the window. I am looking forward to seeing my dr. next Fri. for my next band fill. Hopefully that will do the trick. Just remember, it could be worse, you could've gained 9lbs!!!