Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Very new to this and looking for advice

I have decided to do my surgery in Mexico as a self pay. My insurance company is dragging its feet and frankly there are way too many hoops for me to jump through with my ridiculous schedule. I work in the oil and gas industry and by the time I comply with all of their requests I am going to be laid off anyway.

So, one of my concerns is post operation care. I asked the consultant about this concern and was told that follow up care isn't really necessary??? Does that seem wrong to anyone but me?

My understanding from people on here who have had surgery in Mexico is that your primary care doctor will need to provide your post-op care unless you can find a surgeon who will do so (which is unlikely).

You will need to get regular labs/blood work.

Just be sure and get as much information as you can from your surgeon.

I had surgery in the U.S. and my surgeon provided me with a packet of info about meds, etc. to give to my PCP.

I had RNY gastric bypass surgery 28 months ago. There is a well defined set of guidelines (almost an inch thick book) that describes what I needed to do after surgery. It details what type of foods are permissible to eat and when. The meal volume allowed at the various stages after surgery. The Vitamin, Fluid and Protein requirements. These are extremely important. If they shortchange you on post-op visits, I am wondering if they will shortchange you on these detailed requirements. These are the critical part of the program. Post-op blood work is important because it measures your ability to meet your Vitamin requirements and fine tweaks these.

You might want to consider going with one of the Bariatric Pal surgeons n Mexico. I went with Dr Zalvalza and he is always available by PM. There also is included 2 years post op with a nutritionist and this is absolutely invaluable. No other coordinating company has this. I also can contact my coordinators anytime via phone or email. One of the reasons I went with BP is the aftercare; even though they are in Mexico they are really just a contact away(just like here). Oh and my doctor was amazing, did a fantastic job, I have healed well.

Oh and I also have all the information I need; diet plan to follow, when to get labs done(what tests), all foods that are best to eat.