Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

It's not a downward slope!

This has not been a ride down a slope, but rather several steps down a very long staircase! I have decided that the stalls are inevitable!

I have been frustrated and excited at the same time. Frustrated because I thought I would lose a little faster, and the stalls are infuriating. BUT, excited because I am making progress, down 30 pounds 60 days out from surgery. I figure if I can keep the average of a half pound a day, I would be happy. BUT I am also down 18.25 inches overall. I have been "shopping" in my own closet and have started a give away pile.

So my question, should I be losing faster? I know I do better when I up my Protein and Water.< /p>

Edited by Invictus

As long as you are making a sincere effort at following your program, the question "should you be losing faster?" doesn't make sense. It's like asking whether the hawk flying above my yard should have better eyesight, or if the stream running a few miles away should be running faster -- and blaming myself if I decide it should. If you are doing a respectable job at what any post-wls patient should do, you can't control anything else. You can't order your body to behave like a metronome or a Bunsen burner or some other piece of lab equipment. You've already realized that by looking at your charted weight loss and seeing that there isn't an exact correspondence between what you eat and how fast or even whether you lose, at least in the short term.

You'll never be satisfied with your progress if you either compare yourself to other people or to some idealized, Platonic version of what weight loss looks like. IMO, the only "should I" anyone should ask themselves is, "should I be doing a better job of following the plan my medical team laid out for me?" -- and I think that, especially early on, most of us give it a great (not perfect) effort, and that's what we should be doing. Not losing weight at some predetermined rate of speed.

@@Bufflehead, very well said! I am always comparing myself to everyone else, it's a habit I've had for the last 20 years. I need to stop it and accept my rate of loss as mine!

I will step up my effort on following my plan. I see the surgeon on Tuesday and plan to check with the NUT on his protein/calorie expectations

Every body is so different. Men lose faster than women, the heavier you are at the beginning the faster the initial weight dump might be. Some people seem to melt in front of your eyes, others are slow and steady. Age, sex, genetics, exercise, Protein and Water intake, blah blah blah, all have a factor in you loss. Your are 45 pounds down from the onset! On any other diet you would have been cheering from the rooftops. Why is this different? Great job on what you have accomplished and keep it up!

I think your loss is substantial, and perfectly in line with your particular body's schedule. You're doing great!