Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone have to do Opti Fast for 2 weeks?

I am scheduled for Lap Band on July 23 and have to do the Opti Fast for 2 weeks first. I am on my second day and stuggling. I have a headache and rather weepie. I need some help!

I had to do Optifast for 2 weeks before my surgery. I was banded April 16, 2007. The second day was the hardest for me also. I called my doctors office and told them I could not do it, and they reminded me that it was ONLY for 2 weeks. It was tough, but I got through it, they told me to eat some Protein like egg whites etc. if I felt like I needed to eat something. We were also allowed one meal a day in the evening of lean protein and veggies which made it more tolerable. I am sorry that you are not feeling well. It will pass and you will be okay. It is a drastic change for your body so I think the weepies are normal as well. I was really depressed the first few days, but that is because food is my best friend and I felt a loss. I am down 25lbs since April, it is slow going, but I keep my chin up because I am going down and not up anymore, so keep your chin up..............you can do this and this decision will change your life for the better, you are giving up something good for something much better. Nothing taste as good as it feels to look good and feel great!

Well, I did the 2 week Optifast pre op diet, dreaded it, but I lost 9 pounds. I really ended up liking the actual drinks so much I bought some off someone else and still use them in smoothies!

Thanks for the encouragement - I need it - I am on my 3rd day and it is getting better - can you tell me what you mixed with the drinks to make it taste better? I used orange Jello today and that wasn't too bad - - would like other suggestions - - also any ideas about the "chicken soup" from Opti Fast??

Hello SD Chick,

I am starting the Opti on July 17th...and I have to do it for 3 weeks..so I am doing a lot of research about how to make it more palatable.

I read that you can add instant coffee to the chocolate one and blend it up with ice and Water to make a smoothie. It will take an edge off the headaches.

Another lady I correspond with makes very strong tea and mixes that into the vanilla. ( either chai tea, green tea or regular tea)

You can also try adding Crystal Light (singles) ..I heard the vanilla opti with orange makes it like a creamsicle.

You can also try vanilla with a bit of cinnamon.

Are you allowed any food while on Optifast? We are allowed 225 calories of green veggies per day so i am going to have a big green salad for lunch and one for dinner!

That is the plan so far. I hope this helps.

;)

I am scheduled for surgery on 7/30/07 so I have to start liquid diet - any type of Protein Drinks two times a day and a healthy dinner of no more than 200 calories - on 7/16/07. I'm kind of looking forward to it. I know that sounds silly but I'm trying to tell myself it's just temporary and for a good cause. I don't know how I'll physically feel when doing it and for all I know I will "fall off the wagon". I'm actually getting a little discouraged because I've been reading a lot about people who don't seem to be losing much weight. I plan to exercise a lot and hopefully it will come off faster. I have to remember it's not magic though.

No other food allowed here but I did have a homegrown Tomato one night - couldn't resist and didn't try - but in one week that is all I have done wrong that I am aware of. Am kind of dissapointed in the weightloss for that one week but I did loose 6.4 lbs. and a total of 11 thus far so I am happy. I have lost 2.5 inches in my waist and that makes my life a lot easier!!! :)