Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

That'll vary considerably, depending on what phase of weight loss or maintenance someone is in.

What phase are you interested in?

Well, there are many phases post-op:

Clear liquids

Protein drinks

Purees

Soft foods

Real foods

Early weight loss

Later weight loss

Maintenance

And surgeons' eating programs for their patients vary more than you would believe. Some people are on liquids for a week, others are on liquids for four weeks. It's crrrrrazy!

FYI, I averaged 800 calories (and at least 60 grams of protein) for months 1-4. After the first month I ate a lot of chicken, green, red and yellow veggies, skim milk, Greek yogurt and cheeses. I gradually added some non-starchy fruit (berries, oranges, mangoes) and the occasional low-cal, high-Fiber, high-protein piece of toast.

In months 5-6 I bumped up to an average daily calorie count of 1,000 and 75-80 grams of Protein. Ate more of the above-listed foods and started adding whole grains (brown rice, a little more bread, quinoa).

In months 7-8 I raised my daily cals to 1,200 and protein grams to 100. I was able to eat more colored veggies and ate a little more whole grains. I started drinking 4 ounces of wine at night many nights.

During all this time I avoided like hell the "slider foods" -- highly processed, high-carb foods that have little nutrition value and just make you crave more of them -- foods like chips, Cookies, crackers, ice cream, cake, etc. I also never drank juices or sweetened drinks of any kind.

Now that I'm on maintenance, I average 1700 calories/day -- mostly quite nutritious food (see above). But on the weekends I eat some dark chocolate, low-calorie ice cream and extra wine. But not all at the same time and moderate amounts. That's how I am making maintenance work for me. Others have other plans that work for them.

I've lost 95 pounds. I reached goal (150 pounds) 8.5 pounds post-op. I'm now 10 pounds below that and holding steady.

Wow! Your regimen gave a lot more insight. I hope I become disciplined during my pre op phase so it's not so hard after. I still have a long ways to go and find these forums are a great source of information.

The important thing is to get in your Protein and fluids. Your surgeon or NUT should give you a Protein target (mine is 100 grams every day for the rest of my life). I was able to reach that goal within two days of surgery. It's hard when you are newly post-op to get in all your protein and fluids but it is critical for recovery and weight loss.

After surgery my whole approach to food had to radically change. Rather than trying to minimize calories while maximizing volume to feel satisfied the objective has been flipped. Now, I have much less volume so have to maximize protein and nutrition while minimizing volume. It is a different mindset. It requires eating protein first and then non-starchy vegetables and fruits IF there is room. You will need to weigh and measure your food and read labels carefully so you can keep close track of your protein. I use MyFitnessPal because I can't remember what I did 10 minutes ago.

You will also have to learn to sip liquids all day as you won't be able to drink a lot at one time. Dehydration is a very real risk so you cannot get behind on your fluids.

If you have a good program your surgeon and NUT should provide you with detailed guidelines and education related to both pre-op and post-op nutrition.

As mentioned above, there are a wide range of pre-op and post-op instructions between surgeon's and also between patients, so make sure you follow your surgeon's program that is recommended for you.

Now that I am no longer on liquids, and have been cleared for all foods, I eat about 4-6 times a day. Usually, 10-25 grams of protein per meal or snack.< /p>

It is different but you will learn what works for you.

Pre-op, it was helpful for me to wean myself off of caffeine and carbonation, increase my Water consumption, and learn to slow down and eat mindfully. Otherwise, it really is hard to envision what eating post-op is like until you actually experience it.

Best of luck. I hope this helps.

If you don't mind sharing what your daily diet is like now. Thanks! :)

Just saw @@VSGAnn2014's response. Here's an example of how programs vary:

I had no pre-op diet.

My food phases were:

Full Liquids:1 - 2 weeks: Basically anything liquid no thicker than a milk shake.

Purees: 3 - 4 weeks: food the consistency of baby food

Soft Foods: 5 - 6 weeks: Soft foods like scrambled eggs, mushy fruits, etc....

Anything as tolerated week 7 - on

I was on 400 - 600 calories a day until 3 mths out then no more than 850 calories from 3 - 9 mths. I currently eat no more than 1,000 calories a day. I have lost 109lbs. I rarely eat any bread or highly processed food. I am vegetarian and eat a plant based diet. I also don't eat artificial sweeteners or diet foods. I work out 4 -6 days a week. To the best of my knowledge I have never experienced a stall.

The important thing is to get in your Protein and fluids. Your surgeon or NUT should give you a Protein target (mine is 100 grams every day for the rest of my life). I was able to reach that goal within two days of surgery. It's hard when you are newly post-op to get in all your protein and fluids but it is critical for recovery and weight loss.

After surgery my whole approach to food had to radically change. Rather than trying to minimize calories while maximizing volume to feel satisfied the objective has been flipped. Now, I have much less volume so have to maximize protein and nutrition while minimizing volume. It is a different mindset. It requires eating protein first and then non-starchy vegetables and fruits IF there is room. You will need to weigh and measure your food and read labels carefully so you can keep close track of your protein. I use MyFitnessPal because I can't remember what I did 10 minutes ago.

You will also have to learn to sip liquids all day as you won't be able to drink a lot at one time. Dehydration is a very real risk so you cannot get behind on your fluids.

If you have a good program your surgeon and NUT should provide you with detailed guidelines and education related to both pre-op and post-op nutrition.

As mentioned above, there are a wide range of pre-op and post-op instructions between surgeon's and also between patients, so make sure you follow your surgeon's program that is recommended for you.

Now that I am no longer on liquids, and have been cleared for all foods, I eat about 4-6 times a day. Usually, 10-25 grams of protein per meal or snack.< /p>

It is different but you will learn what works for you.

Pre-op, it was helpful for me to wean myself off of caffeine and carbonation, increase my Water consumption, and learn to slow down and eat mindfully. Otherwise, it really is hard to envision what eating post-op is like until you actually experience it.

Best of luck. I hope this helps.

Thanks so much for all this info. I see the nutritionist in Oct for my 1st appointment. I have gone to the seminars and met with the insurance coordinator. My surgeon requires 5 months in his program no matter what insurance requires which I think is a great thing. Theirs so much to learn. For me it's the sweets that have become my weakness. I have cut myself off off my go to treat which is ice cream. I will allow myself for now low fat ice cream once a week. Sweet tea was always a big weak spot too. I haven't had that in a week. I think for me eating 3x a day is going to be a big change. I have twins so my life is fast paced I'm lucky if I get to drink my coffee hot let alone 3 meals a day. I keeping telling myself one day at a time I have several months to adjust.

You really do relearn how to eat. Hopefully how to eat in a healthier manner. I Learned chocolate will always be a trigger for me. I can not keep it in the house. I've also learned even good for me things cannot be kept in the house. An ounce of nuts is a good snack, but if I buy a big bag, I gooble them up. I was gifted a tin of dry roasted cashews and had to spend yesterday measuring out a ¼cup and putting them in ziplocks.

Well here's what I ate yesterday as a sample for you. I track everything. The snack part cut off I had a Premier Protein shake...

post-237766-0-43134100-1443315537_thumb.png

Jeez @@Elode, you only eat 800 calories? Like...every day or does it vary?

I have 800 calories days. Especially if it's not a gym day.

I'm way over then! Right now I'm at 1200 calories. Any suggestions on foods that are high sources of Protein?

If you are pre-op, don't attempt to follow a post-op diet. Wait and talk to your NUT about your specific needs. 800 calories is low for post-op anyway.

Good sources of protein: lean meats (turkey, chicken, fish, tuna, salmon, shrimp, lean beef, pork, etc.), cheese (cottage cheese, low fat cheese, regular cheese), Greek yogurt, Beans, etc.

It's more of a challenge pre-op. You still have a full sized stomach.

A typical day for me is a Protein shake for breakfastt with 1 scoop of Protein powder, ¼ - ½ a cup of FAGE 0% greek yogurt and what ever flavoring I like. Sometimes that's a tbsp of almond butter, today it was a tbsp of shredded coconut.

I'm vegetarian. lunch may be a veggie burger, or a small salad with black Beans and hardboiled egg with salsa or vinegar /oil for dressing.

snack is an ounce of nuts

dinner is 1 cup of either lentil or vegetable Soup. Depending on my Protein count at that point I may add a scoop of unflavored Protein Powder and a dash of Sriracha sauce.

In between I'm drinking Water. I'm one of the few people who get full on Water.< /p>

Pre-op the easiest thing to do would be to try for clean Proteins and veg. Cut out sodas and as much processed and fast foods as possible.