Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm new and so so sad HELP

I'm getting banded on Aug 7th after three months of appointments and everything else and you think I should be happy. I recieved the letter from the insurance company on Friday saying I was approved and was so happy. Monday I was schedualed and now I'm so depressed. I don't understand. I'm still happy about this decision and I think I'm still making the best decision for my life but why am I so depressed. I've actually made myself ill about it. Had this happened to anyone else?

Liz - I can tell you that all of us run through a whole host of emotions. You are perfectly normal. You are probably feeling a mourning process for food that you think you're going to have to give up....or beating yourself up for 'having' to take this step....or maybe a fear of the surgery or just the plain ol' unknown.

What I did was trust the hundreds of people here who said over and over again, "I LOVE my band!!" I just kept putting one foot in front of the other trusting that all these people couldn't ALL be wrong!

So here I am...3 months post-op and I'm here to tell you that I LOVE my band! Right after surgery I was like "What the hell have I done to myself?" I was really scared for a few days there. But once I got past th epost surgical pain and on my way ....especially when I started dropping the weight....I was fine. I have to tell you that LBT is absolutely an essential method of support. I don't know how anyone goes thru this without all the help of others who have gone before.

Stick around. Keep going. You will be SO glad you did. Trust me.

right on - totally agree. I will say I'm glad I picked the earlier surgery date - waiting 2 more weeks would've made me nuts 2nd guessing myself - best thing I've done - why the hell did I wait to do it?!

I had a gamit of emotions. I cried close to my surgery thinking to myself how the hell did I get here. I don't miss food all that much now. I love my band and I wouldn't want it any other way. You are normal. Relax and enjoy the road. You should be so excited! Good luck.

I agree with what's been said above. Most of us never get that lightbulb moment where we think AHA, I use food for ...... and realise just where it is that our bad habits come from.

But the thought of losing that coping mechanism, even when you dont know what you're trying to cope with, is very scary. Its the first time in my life I actually realised I did that. I felt the same.

Plus there's that "how did I get here" self loathing.

If only you could KNOW what the other side is like, its WAY better I promise.

It is hard and it will get harder after you are banded. The first month seems to be really tough for many of us, myself included. You don't know how close I came to going back to Mexico and having the darn thing removed the first days after surgery.

After surgery you'll start kicking yourself asking what the heck you just did, you'll even question your sanity.

It's ALL part of the process, all completely normal. Everything from the thoughts that go through your mind before surgery until you are almost at goal. If it helps any, some issues still exist when you are close to goal, check out this thread:

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/f109/passing-thin-support-thread-those-approaching-goal-37513/

It's a long process and it's hard. But you know what? Unlike diet and exercise (which is the kind of hard we can't do) we CAN do *this* kind of hard. Just hang in there, life gets better.

On the other hand, I panicked for the last time coming out of surgery. Haven't looked back since. I hated going through bandster hell until I got restriction, but my doubts were gone....

I hope by now you have comes to some kind of term with yur sadness. It is a big step to have the surgery. Your life will change and I hope for the better. I was badndded a year ago, and I would do it again in a minute! My health is better and I can move better. The band is a tool (I'm sure you've heard this before) that helps you accomplish weight lost. Your thinking is what can sabatage you! Grieve and then realize that you have given yourself the best gift ever.....a healthy life! God bless and best wishes! It is not easy but it is definitely worth it! :clap2::whoo:

Liz - I am also having surgery soon and find myself feeling scared. I have been in the process for over a year and after many, many test I am finally approved to move ahead. The emotions are a roller coaster but I know I have to do this. I am scared about what could take the place of food but I also know that I have no choice but to take this step. I think we need to listen to the many people who love what it has done for their life and know in our hearts it's the right thing to do. I wanted it so badly and felt desperate when I was told I did not qualify. I think it's totally normal to be scared but I know that I must go forward for myself and for my family.

Amy

Terri, You sound Great!Thanks for what you said to Liz.Please help me. I went to the Seminar Mon.Went to Dr.today, ins. is being filed, I think I will be approved o.k.But my real Concern is ME. I have been on every diet there is, & for 3-4 wks.I do good.I'm thinking the lapband will work for me because of the 'fear-factor', my dr.said i may not feel satisfied after eating, because of eating for so many reasons, I understand this is life changing, I have such self-doubt that i will go back to the same old ways & eat.I'm not the greatest fad of exercising, My husband went w/me to the seminar & said that "they" only told me things that I already know, if I would just stick w/it, which is true.I do want this to work so bad, but I am so scared I guess of myself. Thanks, Nancy